DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default New Gibraltar stands and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUa3JPOi1mM

I kind of like that stand for drum modules. The snare stand looks pretty decent too.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Gibraltar stands and stuff

I have last years model of the quad stand that is at 3:55 in the video. It is great!
The only difference is the base on mine has round elliptical tube legs that also work great.
I use it for my 12 and 13 inch toms and two boom cymbal arms on my vintage Ludwig kit.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I need a place to put my brain.

Pretty crafty those GIBRALTAR people. Sell the stand for the same price, but make em buy the (needed) ball/socket arms at an extra cost.

That's marketing!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Pretty crafty those GIBRALTAR people. Sell the stand for the same price, but make em buy the (needed) ball/socket arms at an extra cost.

That's marketing!
The reason why the stand comes without the Ball/L-Rod is because there are three options in L-Rod sizes. How do they know if you want to use a 3/8", 7/16", or a 1/2" L-Rod?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The reason why the stand comes without the Ball/L-Rod is because there are three options in L-Rod sizes. How do they know if you want to use a 3/8", 7/16", or a 1/2" L-Rod?

Right, how would they know? That's the crafty part that gets marketed.

What next?

No HH clutch- "We'll imply we don't know what type of clutch the user prefers, and that's a good thing, choices". Drop, locking, cheapy etc.

No chain on the pedal- Single, double, who knows but the buyer right?

Cymbal stands...hmmmmmmm, leave off the tilter? Yeah that's the ticket!- 6mm, 8mm, choice$ are great!

Drums without rims??? Could work, someday. I bought an add on kick (which was in a shop as an orphaned add on/extra), they sent it w/o heads. Called em on it, they tried to make sense, then 'actually listened' to what they were saying and relented.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Les, they aren't going to make three separate part numbers for a tom stand.
You simply order the stand and select the L-rods of your choice. I liked the Idea.
In my case of buying the quad stand I needed two 12.7mm ball/L-rods. The stand and L-rods were reasonably priced. I also ordered the cymbal boom arms that I wanted. I ordered a heavy duty one for my crash cymbal and a light duty one for my splash cymbal. I got exactly what I wanted and needed to hold my two toms and cymbals.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Les, they aren't going to make three separate part numbers for a tom stand.
You simply order the stand and select the L-rods of your choice. I liked the Idea.
In my case of buying the quad stand I needed two 12.7mm ball/L-rods. The stand and L-rods were reasonably priced. I also ordered the cymbal boom arms that I wanted. I ordered a heavy duty one for my crash cymbal and a light duty one for my splash cymbal. I got exactly what I wanted and needed to hold my two toms and cymbals.

Yeah, but they have 3 separate part numbers for the L-arms, they intend the L-arms to be used with the stand.

Im all for this idea if the cost is the same. Buts here's the crack they can get into to up their profits, choices.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Considering 3 separate size L arms brings up a point that always gets me riled up - non standardized parts.
It's not a popular opinion though, to have things standardized, so I'll leave it go at that.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Considering 3 separate size L arms brings up a point that always gets me riled up - non standardized parts.
It's not a popular opinion though, to have things standardized, so I'll leave it go at that.
There are three sizes because the hardware became heavier over the years.
9.5mm was the standard for tom legs and mounts for many years. Then the 10.5 became popular. Now 12.7 is becoming the standard.
As hardware became heavier duty over the years the L-rods and floor tom legs became thicker too.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 01-19-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

I think I will get one of those FB snare stands.

The flat base stands I have (Ludwig, DW) work fine, but to be able to adjust the angle in an unlimited way would be great, especially when I share my kit with someone who may like their tom more angled. The stands i use now are set for what I use, but with the teeth on the bracket, it's not as easy to set-re-set as this one would be.

This is how Ludwig's ATLAS flat base snare stand should adjuat, instead of just adjusting in ONE direction.
The ATLAS basket grips, tubing size, and feet are GREAT, but the way the basket adjusts for angle just does not work (for me) at all for the way I need to position the tom.

When I want to use it flat, it's perfect, but, any other way, I use a different stand.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

I love my Gibraltar stealth racks HOWEVER, the double tom holder in this picture is pure garbage. no matter how tight I go, the toms eventually close in on each other until the rims hit. if you grab them, the move with ease, fully tightened! I took this out and put my Ludwig dual tom mount from 1974 into the rack and its like a freakin rock now!
Attached Images

Pearl 2002C
Guru supporter
Andy Nemesis