DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Default In Ear Monitor question

Hey, I'm looking at a couple pairs right now. I'm looking at buying the Shure SE215's or the Etymotic ER6i. Obviously I want in ear monitors that produce a clear mix of the music, but I'm really worried about how well they will serve as sound reduction.

I have been using noise cancelling big headphones for a while, but I feel like I look like I'm from the 80's! Will either of these headphones serve as good noise isolating protection while playing drums?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: In Ear Monitor question

I have 2 sets of shures, 1 is an older set that was lower priced than the 215's and 1 set is higher priced but both do a really good job of giving great quality sound and blocking out surrounding noise. Personally I like the foam inserts for them the best as they give a perfect seal plus they hold the earbud in place extremely well.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 AM

So you think the Shure SE215 in ear headphones would work well and cut out a lot of the drum sound?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexity View Post
So you think the Shure SE215 in ear headphones would work well and cut out a lot of the drum sound?
I believe they do, I use them.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 AM

Ok I'll take the plunge and buy them.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Gold Member

I am shure you wont be disappointed...lol BTW when it comes time that you want a personal monitor system get a shure p4hw wired body pack which will give you full control of your monitor mix right on your side.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I am shure you wont be disappointed...lol BTW when it comes time that you want a personal monitor system get a shure p4hw wired body pack which will give you full control of your monitor mix right on your side.
haha nice use of Shure :D Yeah I saw a posting you had about that in another thread, I'll have to check into that later on. Do you just plug your in-ears into the device and you're good to go?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 AM
audiotech

I'm not sure if the Shure body pack system incorporates a peak program limiter, but if it doesn't, I would recommend a limiter down line for In Ear monitoring systems..

Dennis
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexity View Post
haha nice use of Shure :D Yeah I saw a posting you had about that in another thread, I'll have to check into that later on. Do you just plug your in-ears into the device and you're good to go?
Yes just plug your ear buds in, and it has 2 lines in so you can adjust the volume and the mix right on your side, as a singer as well as a drummer I put the FOH in one channel and my vocals in the other then I can adjust my own level in my monitor without bothering or waiting for the sound guy to do it. But can be configured anyway you want it, FOH in one and drums in the other and again you can adjust your own mix and volume instantly.

To answer the question below, yes it has a built in limiter plus it also has a couple eq settings as well. It comes with adapters so you can plug into xlr or 1/4 inch and can run off 9v batt or phantom power I have never played anywhere where I could not plug it in to the pa system one way or another. Unit sells for $279. most places and its shure quality tough, I have been beating mine around for over 10 years now with no problems what so ever.