DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Default Hansenfutz Futz Practice Pedal, for beginner syncopation and independance practice

Hey folks, I'm interested in a quiet, reasonably inexpensive option for practicing foot syncopation and independance.

I ran across these Hansenfutz Futz Practice pedals on the GC site:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hansenfu...09-i1372309.gc

To clarify, I do not currently have a drum kit, hats, kick pedals, etc. I'm a string-instrument transplant who's starting from scratch on drums. I've got a fairly strong knowledge of music, so most of my work at this time is technique-based.

I do plan on investing in a real kit down the road, but for now I'd be pairing these practice pedals with a couple practice pads, my Tommy Igoe vids, and my Stick Control/Syncopation/4-way-coordination books.

Any thoughts/comments or experiences with this item?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Hansenfutz Futz Practice Pedal, for beginner syncopation and independance practice

Update - got the search function working, read a bit, and decided to pull the trigger on a pair. We'll see how it turns out!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Hansenfutz Futz Practice Pedal, for beginner syncopation and independance practice

I bought 2, I don't find them to be very good for a practice pedal. You would be better served getting a real pedal and then the practice kick beaters for that, possibly even an e-kit kick pad to use as a "practice" device.

The problem the hansenfutz pedals have is that they just don't feel like real pedals, the resistance is at the base of the pedal, instead of the top/middle like a normal pedal.

You can just tap your feet to practice time just as effectively, but you need to hit a real pedal to develop the feel to do things like heel/toe, slide, ect.

However, as an extra way to play a tamborine or cowbell with your feet they are outstanding for this purpose as illustrated in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZBPPBUepMw
Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I'd recommend using the spring you can get with them that puts more resistance towards the front of the pedal. I had mine on max tension, and one of them broke from regular playing. The guys at Hansenfutz were kind enough to send me a new one, with the spring, so I can put less tension on the base.