DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Bad Ass Chick Drummer

Check out this bad ass chick drummer who entered a video into the new female drumming video contest. There are a lot of videos to sift through on their site with a rare few having any real skill or talent or good grooves. This chick writes her own shit, and hits hard.

http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/lindsey-elias

Post comments here about this video and how you think it compares to the other videos!
Personally, this chick Lindsey and this one other chick Sarah Luffred are the only two that I have found that seem to have any truly awesome skill and attractive, charismatic, hard hitting drumming. I wanna know what other drummers think!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bad Ass Chick Drummer

I think this is a "pretty bold post" ... for your #1. Don't know anything about you ... if you're a drummer .... if you own a drum set ..... nada. For all I know, you could be this girls boyfriend, girlfriend, blood relative ......
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

the sound blows....can hardly hear the drums.

F
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Yeah, the sound blows, but i can still tell what she's doin visually and in combo with what sound i can hear.
And yeah, I know the drummer, and also I am being genuine in my post. I actually get the feeling that the contest is being driven purely by who has the most facebook friends or whatever that they can advertise their video to, or it's being affected by who does popular covers and therefore turns up in more youtube searches. . .I posted this to see what real drummers who are objectively "judging" the videos would think. That would be much more interesting of a contest if it were simply judged by strangers who know their drumming.

So ignore me if you are bothered by my bias, or believe my genuine desire to discuss this. And just b/c I'm new to this forum doesn't mean I won't start being a regular contributor. :)

Thanks for reading! And watch Sarah Luffred's vid too! And watch some random girls and talk about it here!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry...unless you can post a vid with MUCH better sound quality...there just isn't anything to talk about.I'd be more than willing to discuss a valid presentation.This just isn't it.

Steve B
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 PM
BigSteve

Yeah...the sound is terrible. I don't think I would post this video if it were me...just my opinion. Surely you have something with better sound quality?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Having a daughter I think the whole Hit Like a Girl thing is a somewhat sexist load of b.s. A drummer is a drummer. "Attractiveness" would not being an issue if it was a male-only competiton. Just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

I don't disagree with any of the posts so far. The sound is a joke, & I have no idea why a player who's been at it for 15 years wouldn't have access to a better example of her work. I think she's selling herself short = big time.

But then there's the other side of me. The side that's picking out good skills and a strong vibe. I think her dynamics are a bit one dimensional, & that's a shame, because some light & shade would feature her energy filled performance better. There's some really good stuff in there, but y'all know me, I'm about the vibe every time.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I am so not getting this 'hit like a girl' thing. I work with women drummers (three of them, in fact) and they can really play. This competition is just sexist bulls**t to me. If you play, you play. How do you stack up against the masters? Does something like this mean there's a different standard for the girls? There are so many good drummers, period. Women and men. If I'm hiring, I don't care if you're male or female, I want you to play up to what I want. I'm not sure I agree with competitions like this. What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

I think we should start a "hit like a man" competition!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

I agree with the sound, man it's awful ... but Lindsey doesn't do it for me, it's not just a question of sound, the whole approach is a bit too much in your face for my liking :)

I checked Sarah too, since you asked, a bit better (the sound certainely is) but she still doesn't get my vote, some timing issue in the fills, and to be honest, not my style :)

I also checked a few contestants vids as you suggested, I thought I might as well play the game, and upon watching several videos, this drummer, Lady Dee, gets my vote, for me, compared to the two drummers you mentioned, there's no contest, she's the best overall drummer by a large margin, but it's subjective to what you're judging upon during their performances, I'm no judge, just my little opinion :)

Check her out, be a bit patient, it doesn't happen straight away :))

http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/lady-dee
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I am so not getting this 'hit like a girl' thing. I work with women drummers (three of them, in fact) and they can really play. This competition is just sexist bulls**t to me. If you play, you play. How do you stack up against the masters? Does something like this mean there's a different standard for the girls? There are so many good drummers, period. Women and men. If I'm hiring, I don't care if you're male or female, I want you to play up to what I want. I'm not sure I agree with competitions like this. What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?
I know what you're saying and women's only spaces aren't my thing (obviously) but look at this forum ... what's the woman/man ratio? Incredibly low.

Why? Because men are better suited to drums? We all know that's not true.

No, it's because people still see drums as something that males do, based on history. So, even in today's so-called enlightened times, we still very much carry - and are subject to - the weight of history.

In that light, anything that reinforces the fact that women can not only play drums, but play them with skill and to pleasing effect is a good thing.

Unfortunately, the distortion means this video doesn't show a woman playing drums to "pleasing effect".

I also dislike vids that should be in Your Playing in the General section. I see it as cheating.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
What if somebody did a "Play like a man" drum competition?
Why not? a contest is a contest, whatever the subject, the topic, the instrument or the gender of the contestants, it's happening all over the world, it's a contest about female drummers, it's not a bad thing, when I watched these vids, I was looking at some drummers, the fact that they're all female don't bother me that much, I'm only watching some drumming happening in a contest context, no more no less, when you watch gymnastics championship on TV the men and women are not in the same categories, that doesn't mean that women are not as good as men, I'm a man and I can't do what they do :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
In that light, anything that reinforces the fact that women can not only play drums, but play them with skill and to pleasing effect is a good thing.
I totally agree :)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
audiotech

I'll never get the time back that I wasted listening to that.

Dennis
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Also, there have always been "play like a man competitions" in drumming - but they're just called competitions.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 AM

Bo,

I totally agree with you. In your work at Disney you'd see a lot of great female percussionists/drummers.
There are just as many talented females out there as there are males. The drumset world seems to have less visible I think due to the nature of the majority of the gigs. Most of the girls I went to college with had absolutely no interest in playing in a band in bars. They would much rather get a gig at Disney, teaching, teaching drum corps, playing in orchestra's or theater pits. There are great female drumset/percussion players out there that just aren't interested in trying to "make it" in the bar gig world. This contest seems to be aimed toward them.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Most of the girls I went to college with had absolutely no interest in playing in a band in bars. They would much rather get a gig at Disney, teaching, teaching drum corps, playing in orchestra's or theater pits.
They're the smart ones. If I had my time again I'd have taken the formal education route, though it took me a couple of years of garage playing to even know that option existed. By then I'd deluded myself to think I might be able to "make it".

Maybe next incarnation ...
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 AM
"Uncle Larry"

If I could vent a little..I don't care what sex you are, how old, any of that...but the stuff that passes for "good" drumming to me is appalling. After watching that vid with that god awful sound.... I'm sorry but crashing quarters as a ride pattern on the crash cymbal makes me want to take their sticks away. Anybody can do that, there's zero technique, finesse, but really, in the end, it just sounds bad. Just my opinion. To me it's the same as saying spam is some top of the line meat, and everybody saying Oooo yea, spam!

Puh-lease lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 AM

I hope she better than what I think she is!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Administrator

I have watched many of the videos for this "contest" and too many of them look like band auditions. Bad sound, bad video, and just all around bad drumming. I am by no means judging women drummers as a whole but right now the one with the most votes must have a lot of friends voting because she is just not the good. Sorry
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I LOVE the sound. Reminds me of Zu. Nasty nasty nasty. And by the way. You guys are HARSH.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Anthony Amodeo

my wife is a pretty nasty drummer

she is more of a ukulele, guitar, bass, flute player but lays down a nasty groove

she was just hitting my drums playing along to FM by Steely Dan while I was in the shower just a bit ago, I could tell what the song was by the hits.

I fell in love all over again

:)
Old 03-10-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Sticks,

You look f@#k%*g horrible...
Ummm.. I mean, you look great. We miss you.

-r
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

The sound is bad and it makes it hard to enjoy the video. But what's so wrong with her playing? She's solid, has good chops and plays the music. It's not necessarily my favorite music but it's not bad by any means.

This is a tough crowd and sometimes it seems so random whether people like or hate something. It's like whatever the first person says, 8 more people chime in, then someone posts a contrary opinion and the next 5 agree with it. Rinse and repeat.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

As far as I could tell the playing was fine, but I couldn't get past the sound.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcaldera View Post
...... yeah, I know the drummer, and also I am being genuine in my post. I actually get the feeling that the contest is being driven purely by who has the most facebook friends or whatever .......
And that's the basis for most all "internet contests" .... the nature of the beast. You get real results when you get real time players performing under the same roof, with real judges. And even then, bias and manipulation can occur. Reading the comments left for both of these girls, they're from all their face book friends, too. It's just the way these things work. Me, I'm not proud, I'm old school. I'll vote for either of these girls ... whoever sends me $20 first. Not only can I be bought, I can be bought cheap. I can also be "rented".
Quote:
So ignore me if you are bothered by my bias, or believe my genuine desire to discuss this. And just b/c I'm new to this forum doesn't mean I won't start being a regular contributor. :)
Hey, continue to post. Share ideas. Join in and become a member of the community. Welcome to Drummerworld. I'd be more interested in seeing your video. If these two young women wanna join the forum, they should. If they wanna promote their playing, they should. If they want us to critique their playing .... I think they should be ringing their own bell.
I'm also a bit offended but the sexist "Bad Ass Chick Drummer" title. Other members brought this up, too. What's with this 60's sexism. Wasn't the Women's Liberation Movement supposed to promote "equality". Couldn't it just read "New, hot drummer, here" ? And then, the "this chick writes her own s#!%. Like, gee, am I so dumb I couldn't figure that out, myself? So, if you were my PR guy, you'd be fired (as the Donald would say). We have some major cats on this forum. You like this blast metal stuff, we got Derek Roddy here. Amazing cat. Perhaps something a little less "aggressive" is your cup of tea, we got Gavin Harrison, here.
Quote:
Thanks for reading! And watch Sarah Luffred's vid too! And watch some random girls and talk about it here!
Sarah's snare sound bites big time. Whole kit, really, but the snare especially. First impressions are so important. Gad, do I have to "endure" the whole video. The girl can't tune. I started playin' drums (kit) when I was 10. I could tune better, at 10 1/2.
Lindsey's kit, even though the video sound is crap, I can tell it's tuned better.
Honestly, you don't have to watch too many video's, to find a better drummer. I put Emma Ford top, and I only watched 5 video's, total. Your 2 girls, and 3 more. There's likely to be someone better, still.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 AM

I liked it. Sounds like a shitty camera mic recording but the energy and deliberate-ness of her playing still makes it quite clearly through all the distortion. She certainly plays with more balls than many men drummers out there.

The band reminds me of Brown Whornet.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
I LOVE the sound. Reminds me of Zu. Nasty nasty nasty. And by the way. You guys are HARSH.
Erm, ok, I didn't like the sound, but I did compliment her playing and the overall vibe :)
Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
BigSteve

With all of the inexpensive technology we have these days to capture sound and video you would think that it would be pretty easy to post up something that was listenable, especially if you want to be judged or voted for on the basis of the clip posted. I certainly wasn't harsh other than to comment on the bad sound quality. The group looked like they were having a blast, it could have been an enjoyable listen.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Gee, I often get comments that I often play with such a light touch and finesse. Does that mean I hit like a girl!! Gee I am feeling so metrosexual right now. LOL. Well I have three daughters and the sexist remarks can be shoved down the appropriate sphincter. Women rule-if you haven't figured that out yet you got a lot to learn. But beside the crappy sound-it does bring up the issue of hitting. I have sticks that are years old-I would wager most younger hitters have sticks that last in the days (and so many rim shots the wood is frayed like a beaver's been chewing). Maybe because I like jazz, but Tony Williams and others were pretty hard hitters too to be fair. I have just tried to encourage younger players to develop their lighter touch too. My opinion it is more difficult to play lighter, softer,controlled, and often slower than harder and faster. I say this because I also play in a civic orchestra (where you sit and wait a lot for your part and the conductor if anything is telling you to play lighter). When I play rock or fusion you build up a momentum in the loudness, speed, and hard hitting sticks. Starting cold and controlled is often more difficult. Maybe its just me-I am now considered a senior citizen. Jeez.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 03-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

The important thing to remember here is that this is an advert for Evans, and it is working.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Gee, I often get comments that I often play with such a light touch and finesse. Does that mean I hit like a girl!!
Not so bad, as long as you don't "dress like a girl" ... that might get you in a bit of trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The important thing to remember here is that this is an advert for Evans, and it is working.
Not really, I play Remo.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 AM

here's a better quality video of the first girl playing. dont get why you would use that blown out video instead of these for that contest ... oh well. fwiw i dig her playing. soild and authoritative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aG_...eature=related
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 AM
BigSteve

Now that was worth a listen! She kicks ass.....voted.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
here's a better quality video of the first girl playing. dont get why you would use that blown out video instead of these for that contest ... oh well. fwiw i dig her playing. soild and authoritative.

Now, THAT was killer!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

I kind of dislike this trend of making everything that comes to mind a contest.
It's all over TV, and all over the internet.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post

+1!!! That was good! Great quality too, and a beautiful drumset last but not least.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

i like this band very much. i like her drumming very much. i could see it and hear it in the first clip. i like the stage set up in-the-round of the first clip. this is a very creative ensemble.

i have no problem with a Hit Like A Girl Contest.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

+1 on awful quality sound. I checked out a streaming clip on their website and it's pretty good. I very much dig her band's vibe - just a shame she submitted such a crappy video. It's not exactly subtle but I get a Dave Grohl esque energy with some of stoppy starty thing going on - puts me in mind of Skindred in a way.

But yeah, not getting my vote as the clip is shocking.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah, the sound blows, but i can still tell what she's doin visually and in combo with what sound i can hear.
And yeah, I know the drummer, and also I am being genuine in my post. I actually get the feeling that the contest is being driven purely by who has the most facebook friends or whatever that they can advertise their video to, or it's being affected by who does popular covers and therefore turns up in more youtube searches
And in the typical "Battle of the Bands", too.

The sound is really, really wanting here. I couldn't listen to it for long. She sounds pretty slamming but I think this contest in particular is completely sexist in the first place, so... eh.

Good luck to your friend.