DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Default New Snare - Pearl Limited Edition

Just picked up a Pearl African Mahogany/Poplar Limited Edition 14x6.5 Snare Drum in Artisan II Walnut when I saw a local drum shop having a blow-out on them, for $99CAD.

My first Pearl drum (I secretly feel dirty cheating on Yamaha...). Can't wait to get home and bang on this :)

It comes with a generic Pearl "ProrTone" head, and going to pick up a new head. I was thinking coated Emperor. Anyone have this drum or something with a similar shell? What are you using for the batter?

I'm looking for a nice, fat sound with a bit of ring to it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Snare - Pearl Limited Edition

So played the snare last night, sounds great although it's pretty high-pitched for a 6.5" snare.

I've slackened both the batter and reso, but it still sounds high. Any looser and the snare starts to sound "papery" and buzzy.

I suspect it's the factory head that's junk, I think its Remo equivalent in weight is probably the Ambassador.

I'm wondering if I pick up an Emperor, will the sound get fatter and less papery?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Hey Chris, I would suspect that the Pearl "ProTone" heads are garbage....put a Remo Ambassador on the batter and and a Remo hazy ambassador on the snare side too.
Don't loosen the snare side head if you want tone and responsiveness from the drum.

"Papery" sounds to me like you're just hearing the flappy (crappy) heads and no shell tone. Tighten up that snare side! Then adjust the batter for pitch and feel.
An Emperor weight batter head will be warmer/lower/darker than an ambassador weight for sure, but at the expense of being less sensitive...which may be fine depending on your musicial taste or style.

Best,
Neal
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Hey Chris, I would suspect that the Pearl "ProTone" heads are garbage....put a Remo Ambassador on the batter and and a Remo hazy ambassador on the snare side too.
Don't loosen the snare side head if you want tone and responsiveness from the drum.

"Papery" sounds to me like you're just hearing the flappy (crappy) heads and no shell tone. Tighten up that snare side! Then adjust the batter for pitch and feel.
An Emperor weight batter head will be warmer/lower/darker than an ambassador weight for sure, but at the expense of being less sensitive...which may be fine depending on your musicial taste or style.

Best,
Neal
Thanks for replying Neil.

I'm looking for a nice fat tone.

So my understanding is the reso head tension controls the "snap" of the snares, and the batter controls the pitch... is this correct?

I normally have my batter and reso both cranked, almost piccolo sounding, but I'm looking for a lower tone with a nice ring to it.

The best example of my "perfect snare sound" is the live recording of "Pushit" by Tool on the Salival album. Has the perfect pitch with just the right amount of openness and ring.

Here's a link to when the drums really start building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDwkSlCwHw#t=06m06s
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Yes, that clip that you posted - that snare sounds very ringy - and is most likely a metal drum...brass, copper,bronze, etc. I don't think you will get that sound with your new drum...which is Poplar and Mahogany, so that's going to sound dark, warm and dry.
I find that metal drums also speak better at lower tunings than their wood counterparts. I always tune wood snares up anyway.

Best,
Neal
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Yes, that clip that you posted - that snare sounds very ringy - and is most likely a metal drum...brass, copper,bronze, etc. I don't think you will get that sound with your new drum...which is Poplar and Mahogany, so that's going to sound dark, warm and dry.
I find that metal drums also speak better at lower tunings than their wood counterparts. I always tune wood snares up anyway.

Best,
Neal
Yeah, Danny Carey's snare (from the clip) is bronze; it's also a 14"x8". Thanks for your insight mate. :)
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Cool looking drum. The brass lugnuts are great, but if you can upgrade the tension rods to Pearl's stainless steel ones it would be even better. I had them on an old drum (Chad Smith sig) and tuning it was super smooth, even when cranked right up. I plan on upgrading my new snare with the same nuts and rods.