DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Default Help me choose an electronic drum kit!

So, I was like 100% sold on the Alesis DM10 mesh kit (2014), but it doesn't ship to the US (where my family lives) or Japan (where I live) so I regrettably gave up on it. This launched me into searching for the next best thing. The criteria I'm looking for in my kit is:

Mesh heads: This is probably the #1 thing I'm looking for. I want my set to feel as real as possible. I can't make a lot of noise where I live so a realistic electronic set is me trying to get as close to an acoustic set as possible without getting a fine for noise pollution.

Dual/Triple zone drums/cymbals: As I mentioned before, I want the kit to feel as real as possible.

Price: I'm looking to keep it at around the $1000 range. $1500 is the absolute highest I am willing to go.

These are the kits that I found. If you have your own suggestions, please let me know:

1. Alesis DM10 X mesh kit ($1500)
This is the closest thing to the 2014 kit that I could find. The price is holding me back though.

2. Alesis DM10 mesh kit ($1200)
This is a good deal cheaper than the DM10 X listed above. I'm unsure if the DM10 X is worth paying the extra $250 for.

3. Simmons SD1500 ($1100)
This kit just seems flat out amazing. What's holding me back is that the heads are pads and not mesh. This leads me to a question: Can mesh heads be put on any kit? Can I just buy mesh heads and slap them on this kit if I decide to buy it? I don't know much about the electronic kit world so I'm not sure how this kind of stuff works. I researched it and it seems like only certain kits are compatible with mesh head conversions but I hope that's not true.

5. Roland TD-11K-S ($1000)
The only thing I don't like about this kit is that only the snare is mesh while the other toms are pads.

4. Traps E500 ($750)
For the price, this kit seems amazing. What's holding me back from this is the possibility that the other 4 options might be the better choice. I've also heard mixed reviews on this particular kit.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it. I've wanted my own set for 23 years and I'm so close to finally getting one.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Help me choose an electronic drum kit!

You could try doing an A2E kit (put mesh heads on an A-kit, drop in some triggers and away you go).
I say this since you mention you want it as close as possible to an A-kit without the noise.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Played on the better roland's in a shop, pretty sweet, had a real feel to it :)
Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
You could try doing an A2E kit (put mesh heads on an A-kit, drop in some triggers and away you go).
I say this since you mention you want it as close as possible to an A-kit without the noise.
Could you explain to me exactly how the triggers work? Would it absorb all of the acoustic sounds? My understanding of them was they send a signal to emit the sounds electronically so you can add different sounds to your A-kit. I can see how putting mesh heads on an A-kit and adding triggers could give me what I want since the mesh heads would absorb most of the acoustic sound, but what about the cymbals? The walls here are extremely thin. Like, I can hear my neighbors having conversation and them walking around sometimes so I need the set to be as quiet as possible.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knikkey View Post
Could you explain to me exactly how the triggers work? Would it absorb all of the acoustic sounds? My understanding of them was they send a signal to emit the sounds electronically so you can add different sounds to your A-kit. I can see how putting mesh heads on an A-kit and adding triggers could give me what I want since the mesh heads would absorb most of the acoustic sound, but what about the cymbals? The walls here are extremely thin. Like, I can hear my neighbors having conversation and them walking around sometimes so I need the set to be as quiet as possible.
Technically if you want the quietest drums on the planet- you need these:
http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-product-page/

If air drumming doesn't do it for you, I'm afraid that there is nothing out there that will absorb ALL acoustic sounds but there are a number of products you can use to make your kit as quiet as possible.
1. Mesh heads
2. Rubber cymbals (no softer alternative to these I'm afraid).
3. However, you can reduce stick noise using these:
http://www.lidwishsoulutions.com/ultra_tones.asp
4. The quietest kick drum (usually the loudest part of the kit) on the market are these:
http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger

As for triggers- I use these: http://www.quartzpercussions.com/ but there are plenty of alternatives out there- just need to find the best one for your needs.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knikkey View Post
So, I was like 100% sold on the Alesis DM10 mesh kit (2014), but it doesn't ship to the US (where my family lives) or Japan (where I live) so I regrettably gave up on it. This launched me into searching for the next best thing. The criteria I'm looking for in my kit is:
Mesh heads: This is probably the #1 thing I'm looking for. I want my set to feel as real as possible. I can't make a lot of noise where I live so a realistic electronic set is me trying to get as close to an acoustic set as possible without getting a fine for noise pollution.
Before you give up on the Alesis DM10 option, check out lots of DIY mesh head conversion info here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?board=8.0

Todd's suggestion about Aerodrums reminded me of this similar idea that might adapt to a firm rubber surface (or tensioned pet-grade screen mesh): http://www.drumsanywhere.com/
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'm currently looking into Electric kits and intend to purchase shortly after the 2015 product releases. I'm going to summarize my findings about the Alesis DM10 and eDrums so far...

The Alesis DM10 is a piece of shit. Do not waste your money. In the $1k range, buy a Yamaha 5XX or a Roland 1X.

Ping if you need specifics.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post

This is my suggestion also.

It took me 3 years to figure out A to E was the way to go.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

I know you are set on mesh heads, but in my limited experience I found mesh heads to feel a bit too mushy and bouncy *for me*. I'm enjoying the silicon pads of the newer Yamaha DTX more; I recently picked up a second hand DTX750 and love it as a practice tool.

My main experience with mesh heads was the Hart Pro kit I had about 6 or 7 years ago, which I eventually sold. Granted it was too big and heavy (why I went for the pro toms and the steel frame I'll never know), but partly the mesh heads just didn't do it for me. I'm not saying the DTX is perfect by any means and I'd rather play an acoustic any day, but that just isn't feasible where I live, and for the amount of practice I need ;-)

I'm sure its personal preference, but just thought I'd relay my experience for what it is worth. Be sure to at least try it. Good luck!

PS, silly story about the Hart Pro: I spent ridiculous amounts of money trying to get something as close to acoustic as possible: I imported the huge Hart Pro 6.4 kit from America, I bought a DDrum 4SE for the toms and a Roland TD-4 for the cymbals. Must of cost me about 4K in total. A very expensive practice tool that eventually got stored away in a cupboard for years. It was cumbersome, and never worked that well because it was a mixture rather than a cohesive set, so I ended up using my acoustic in a semi soundproofed very small bedroom. The DTX was less than 1/4 of the price second hand, its better and what's more I look forward to practicing and using it..

Last edited by Mark_S; 09-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

A2E is not going to keep you within your budget. People say they can make a cheap A2E kit but it really is a cheap piece of crap. If you want a quality product, like what a Roland kit would be, you will spend a lot of money buying lots of parts to match the fit and finish.

Anyway, do you have to buy new? A used TD-9KV could be had for $1000-1500.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 AM

I agree with Tommy_D

You still have to figure in a decent module to begin the DIY process.
I still believe a SERIOUS kit new starts around $1800 US and up.
Most anything else is gonna need a upgrade which is more expensive in the long run.
Save til you can get serious or go acoustic.
Just my opinion YMMV!!

Don't buy crap 2 or 3 times, Buy the good stuff the first time if you really want to go electronic. It is less expensive and a better drumming experience.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM

I bought a TD11-KV about 7 months ago having never even picked up a drum stick in my life and I am still impressed by the kit today. I play every day I'm home and have have no troubles.

The only gripe I have is the rack toms are on the small side, although the weakest part of the kit is the hi-hat and controller. It's not as responsive as I would like and I will be changing this in the next couple of months.

Overall I think the kit is a solid. It is certainly a brilliant place for a beginner like me to start and I'm sure more accomplished drummers would get a lot out of it.