DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-04-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Cindy Blackman

Hi there!

Iīm wondering if Cindy Blackman was the tour drummer for Lenny Kravitz during 2004 in Europe.
I know it was some time now, but me and my drummer have a small argument, and I canīt find the information anywhere.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Cindy Blackman

im not completly sure about the correct answer but i think it could be true after having a brief search via the internet.

anyway id also like to point out iv listened to one of her solos, i cant remember now it was called seven (im sure)...and iv got to say it was amazing.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 AM

Cindy Blackman has a lot of skill. Personally I think Sheila E. is better - she could give a lot of drummers on this site a run for their money!

- Marc
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Cindy Blackman is nuts. I'm ashamed to admit that my own personal sexism was brought embarrassingly to light when I heard Blackman playing an insane solo... the first think I asked the friend who played it for me was, "who is this guy? He's insane!" To which my friend replied, "it's no guy, it's a girl -- Cindy Blackman." Blew me away.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

I think you are correct in that she toured with Kravitz in 2004. She has a CD out called "Code Red" with Steve Coleman, Wallace Roney, Kenny Barron and Lonnie Plaxico. Off the hook stuff.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumbergh
I'm ashamed to admit that my own personal sexism was brought embarrassingly to light when I heard Blackman playing an insane solo... the first think I asked the friend who played it for me was, "who is this guy? He's insane!" To which my friend replied, "it's no guy, it's a girl -- Cindy Blackman." Blew me away.
I wouldn't feel ashamed about that. How many female drummers are at the top of the music scene. Heck, how many musicians PERIOD?

I'm not commenting on Cindy Blackman simply because I've not heard or seen her stuff (although I wouldn't mind being exposed to some of her work).

But usually chicks get too much credit for too little ability / talent. Would Hillary Jones be on the Modern Drummer DVD from 2003? if she were a guy? I don't think so. I doubt we'd even know her name.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Oh, I dig Cindy. Bernhard's got a great clip of her playing on the Cindy Blackman page.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers..._Blackman.html
Old 01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
jamndrummer

Kenosha Drummers recently had the pleasure of interviewing Cindy Blackman. She has incredible knowledge and understanding of music. You will hear her passion about music by just listening to her speak.

http://www.kenoshadrummers.com
Old 01-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
I wouldn't feel ashamed about that. How many female drummers are at the top of the music scene. Heck, how many musicians PERIOD?

I'm not commenting on Cindy Blackman simply because I've not heard or seen her stuff (although I wouldn't mind being exposed to some of her work).

But usually chicks get too much credit for too little ability / talent. Would Hillary Jones be on the Modern Drummer DVD from 2003? if she were a guy? I don't think so. I doubt we'd even know her name.
im sure if you do a quick search via internet or thru music purchase sites such as itunes etc you can find examples of cindy's drumming. however, let me say that if there is any drummer in the world that could claim they have tony's style well within grasp it would be cindy blackman, so much so that tony got a little pissed when he first heard her play.

when i started @ vcu the bass teacher in the jazz dept was calerence seay. clarenece, wallace roney, and cindy (among others) used to share a house in NYC. from what he was telling me, they would wake up, eat breakfast and then all would head to the practice room and immediately start playing. all they would work on was the miles davis material. every last one of 'em would learn their respective part off the album and they would practice playing those parts together, really trying to get the sound of the 2nd classic quintet. now thats dedication.

props to cindy for achieving so much in her career.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Cindy's a highly skilled drummer, that's for sure, but she when I've heard her play jazz she steals too many of Tony Williams' licks. Tony's my all-time favorite drummer and I certainly understand the appeal of his style, but jazz is about self-expression and coming up with something unique to yourself, not regurgitating someone else's stuff. OTOH, the last time I heard her play jazz on record was 10+ years ago; I trust and hope she's moved beyond the copycat stage since then.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM

I will have to agree that Cindy B. is a good drummer just check out some clips of her playing on drummerworld! Now as far as the gender issue goes I do not understand what the difference is concerning ability? Cindy can play really good and as far as Hilary Jones goes her technique is very good! She has a clip here at drummerworld that shows exactly how good she is - one handed rolls on the snare drum while using both feet and her other hand doing something else! Hilary does her groove so fast that I had to watch her several times to pick it out myself that womwn has some really fast sticks! Hilary Jones groove check it out! The best correct form I have seen so far! (mind you i have not seen everyone play yet) But so far Hilary has the number one spot with me! And Cindy her clip is too dark to really tell?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

I saw a clinic with Cindy and Dom Famularo and I was totally blown away by Cindy's playing. She is an amazing drummer and it's like she channels Tony when she plays. It was one of the best clinics I have seen. I have also seen her play with Lenny and she is a great rock drummer with excellent showmanship too.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 AM

She's a great player and also, I understand, a great teacher and mentor. I have a friend who studied with her at USC and had nothing but amazing things to say about her.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM

seriously, after watching the clip on the drummerworld page from her new DVD, i was shocked at what a lack of individuality she has.
I AM NOT SAYING SHE CAN'T play. surely, if you could rip off Tony Williams note for note, you must have some chops, but come on! and TW is my #1 fav.
The sound of her snare and cymbals ripped right outta EMERGENCY!
she is a great player and teacher, but i can't listen to her and take it seriously.

this is a personal rant, not meant to bash or influece others.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM

just saw the Cindy Blackman solo on drummerworld...omg.....loved the way she was totally brutalising the toms halfway through. how can she play with all that massive hair tho? her band looked (and sounded) totally awful tho, esp the guy with the yellow guitare, yuck.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Looks like Cindy's set from Lenny Kravitz tour is for sale on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/LENNY-KRAVITZ-5-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Cindy is good.... But Cora is Better!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

Hi
I believe she studied with Al Dawson...just like Tony Williams...so it would be understandable that there is some commonality withplaying approach. Denis