DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Pedals Issue or not?

Hi

I have a silly issue regarding balance with my own Kit, I have tested this & i don't have the same issue when i play on a friends kit.

It's not a major issue, but it's enough to disrupt my flow when practicing / playing.
I don't feel as steady when playing my kit as i should, I have changed the Bass Pedal for a better one, I have also bought myself a new throne / stool..... This hasn't made much difference.

When playing my friends kit i don't feel unsteady at all and can play happily till he kicks me off it :)
But playing my own, I always seem to have to shift my weight around to keep happily balanced.
I have tried the thone set to high & also have set it low, the problem exists at both setting ( although the effect is slightly different )

The Kit I have is far from top of the range, i'm pretty sure it's the kit or how i have it setup, but I haven't yet found the cause.

As you can probably tell from my question, I am fairly inexperienced with my kit, I had it for a couple of years now & I'm just after advice & of course, if anyone has experienced this themselves, I'd love to know how you managed to fix it.

and sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Pedals Issue or not?

I'm going to take a stab at this. (I have a similar issue but haven't fixed it).
Try setting the toms and cymbals in the same height and position as your friends. I'm guessing his set is set up a little different then yours is from a playability standpoint and obviously it makes you more stable. Throne may make difference but doubtful pedals will (as far as stability). I find myself twisting around a lot. My right knee keeps bumping the snare and I keep twisting right. I can't figure out what is out of adjustment but obviously something is.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

If you don't have any problem playing on your friend kit, then just set your kit like his kit, you know, create a copycat version with your own kit, same toms angles, same throne height, same distance from the drum, etc...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge147 View Post
Hi

I have a silly issue regarding balance with my own Kit, I have tested this & i don't have the same issue when i play on a friends kit.

It's not a major issue, but it's enough to disrupt my flow when practicing / playing.
I don't feel as steady when playing my kit as i should, I have changed the Bass Pedal for a better one, I have also bought myself a new throne / stool..... This hasn't made much difference.

When playing my friends kit i don't feel unsteady at all and can play happily till he kicks me off it :)
But playing my own, I always seem to have to shift my weight around to keep happily balanced.
I have tried the thone set to high & also have set it low, the problem exists at both setting ( although the effect is slightly different )

The Kit I have is far from top of the range, i'm pretty sure it's the kit or how i have it setup, but I haven't yet found the cause.

As you can probably tell from my question, I am fairly inexperienced with my kit, I had it for a couple of years now & I'm just after advice & of course, if anyone has experienced this themselves, I'd love to know how you managed to fix it.

and sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section
If you can get pics of both set ups, we can help you get right down to it!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM
audiotech

I'm guessing, but maybe it has to do with the surface your kit is sitting on or maybe it's a reach problem. If your using a double pedal heel up, it could also be the pedals/flooring combination causing your balance problems. Do you drink more alcoholic beverages when playing your kit... just kidding, lol.

Dennis
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM

If you cant figure it out, worse comes to worse, you could always tear it down and rebuild from the beginning.....
Lay out your carpet or rug(if you have one), place the bass drum, and set your pedals up. Then place your throne and adjust that to where its comfortable for you. Proper balance and playability of your pedals comes from the basics. If youre not set up right from the start, then youre not gonna make it any better when youre done. Get what Im saying?
Once youre in a comfortable setup and balance, then set up everything else. Toms, hihats, and cymbals and so on. Gotta get yourself comfortable before you can play comfortable.
Try this if all else fails. I know when I get into a rut and I cant find my "comfort zone", thats what I do. Works 60% of the time, every time :-)