DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
More than likely:

It's a brand new product from a new manufacture they recently discovered, so it may not be built into the website yet. A lot of new products come out in January, and it can take a while to get everything up.

As a brand new product from a new manufacturer, the initial order may be a test run to see how it goes before they fully commit to stocking it full time on the web and in all the stores.

But I agree it is a bit odd that there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. Not even a "coming soon" listing.
You'll probably have to call your local store. The 3 stores in my area had them (SD)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
As for why? Well, any decent guitar player can tune by ear, but we still expect every pro to have a guitar tuner on them. If it's good for the goose, maybe it's good for the gander too.
The only reason guitar players are expected to use a tuner is because they need to tune every few songs or so and there is nothing more annoying or unprofessional than to go see a band and the guitar players are tuning by ear between songs, bowong, bowong, tawang, tawang, towong towong, well you get the picture. If they could tune their guitar and it stayed in tune for the whole show no one would care if they used a tuner or not. But hey dont get me wrong, if the tune bot actually does what they say it will and actually speeds things up, then I am all for it but Im still a bit skeptical as there has been a list of drum tuning products in the past that havent lived up to the hype and actually take longer to tune a drum than doing it by ear.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I wasn't too thrilled at what I witnessed in their video, but I'm going to keep an open mind about it until I have one in my hands. Hopefully it will be in my possession longer than what the DrumDial was, lol. As I sit here, I'm thinking about all the better mouse traps that have already been invented to match or better the human ear. If everyone could spontaneously be able to concur challenges without having to really learn the task at hand, this would be a much better world, or would it?

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 AM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 519
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Another cool thing I just thought of is that we now can exchange tunings.
Lets say I find the holy grail tuning for my toms(there could be others with the same drums and heads), then I could post this tuning and others could try it.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Mike Armstrong Mike Armstrong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 153
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Since the Tune-Bot allows you to tune your drums to specific notes, what should that note be for a given size drum? From what I've read each tom if tuned to a note should be kept 3-5 notes apart from the next to keep a melodic sounding kit (Drum Tuning Bible).

From what I understand it would be better to tune your largest floor tom to it's fundamentally lowest pitch. That note would then give you a starting point to work your way back up to the smallest tom keeping a 3-5 note interval. If you started out with your smallest toms fundamental pitch and work your way down to your largest tom, that floor tom might not be able to be tuned low enough to keep that melodic 3-5 note interval.

What about the bass drum? I assume it too should be 3-5 notes lower than the largest floor tom. So, shouldn't the tuning start out with the bass drum and work up to the smallest rack tom?

My kit consists of a 10" rack tom and a 14" floor tom and 20" bass. As long as that 3-5 note interval is kept and my floor tom allows can I simply pick a note for the 10" tom to tune the others by or should a 10" tom be at a certain note to begin with?

When my kit is in tune the sound of each tom compliments the next one over and as a whole the kit sings. Using the Tune-Bot I should be able to now find what notes those toms are at and their intervals.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Soupy Soupy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 987
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If everyone could spontaneously be able to concur challenges without having to really learn the task at hand, this would be a much better world, or would it?
I personally am relatively happy that I don't need to know how to make flint spearheads in order to hunt and kill my dinner. Meat in a styrofoam tray makes life easier, you know.

And tuning drums sucks. It can be difficult, time consuming, and doing it manually does not provide useful benefit over other means. It is not a useful skill in the same way that sweeping a floor is not a useful skill. Maybe some people are faster at sweeping than others. But a clean floor is a clean floor, and "clean" is essentially a finite level of accomplishment. Once a floor is clean, a better sweeper can't really make it more clean. And besides, tuning a drum is only a means to an end, namely, playing a drum. And to that end there is no shortcut, no bass pedal nor beater nor other piece of gear that makes one a better drummer, no gear that can replace skill.

Except for a drum machine, but that exactly is what I think you mean by "or would it?"
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

If I had a differential of 3 to 5 notes between drums, I would be out of notes till I got to the 8" toms on my seven piece kits, lol. I don't tune by exact notes, but tune to pitches of the shells. If by chance I hit an "E" or something that's sharp or flat, it's alright with me. I have to be in relatively perfect tune when I'm playing my trumpet, but with drums anything goes as long as they sound great and each drum has it's place in the scheme of things with all the other voices mixed within the kit. In other words, the kit has to sound great as a whole. I truly believe that tuning to particular notes is just a way that some, not necessarily very fluent with tuning or being able to hear subtle pitch changes, will have a tangible factor to strive for to be able to get their drums sounding respectable. This takes out all the guess work as to what really is the best pitch to try to grasp for in a drum of a particular size. It's like asking someone to tell you the exact note your 12" tom should be resonating at. I always basically tune to the shell's sweet spot which takes just about everything into account as a whole. It's what I've been using on my kits and client's kits for a lot of years without fail.

Actually the management of the studios where I work find out exactly what the producers want from the session in our pre-production meetings and then bill accordingly. They especially love when studio drummers insist on re-tuning their kits between songs to make an attempt to tune exactly to the music. They get charged by the hour instead of by the block. Luckily this doesn't happen very often, because commercial studio time and staff do not come cheaply, especially when tracking to tape.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 AM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I always basically tune to the shell's sweet spot which takes just about everything into account as a whole. It's what I've been using on my kits and client's kits for a lot of years without fail.

Dennis
Hey Dennis,

How do you actually determine or find a drum's sweet spot?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
I personally am relatively happy that I don't need to know how to make flint spearheads in order to hunt and kill my dinner.

no gear that can replace skill.
I've made spear heads in scouts and it wasn't a very big deal, I earned a badge. This really wouldn't bother me at all since I'm not a hunter, but I would have to go with a bow and arrow if I had the choice, they're faster. I do enjoy putting holes in paper targets though, if that counts.

You made the statement that tuning sucks. Most people believe things suck because they don't have the mental fortitude or skill sets to really learn how to do them. I always thought algebra and calculus sucked until I learned the basics. You can learn just about anything if you put forward just a little initiative. Drum maintenance and particularly their tuning, deserves the same mind set as actually playing the drums. Just too many want things handed to them on a silver platter without actually putting the time in to hone the craft.

"no gear that can replace skill".

I believe that this is what I've been talking about all along. It's good to see that you are agreeing with this, there's still hope. It does take skill and experience to properly tune a drum and the gear only being a drum key, a drum stick and your ears. I would very much like to alleviate the drum key part of the gear, but I have a loose front tooth. The skill part is what's eluding you.

BTW, I enjoy tuning drums much more than sweeping floors. ;) Did you ever try it?

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Hey Dennis,

How do you actually determine or find a drum's sweet spot?
Every drum has a sweet spot, some are a bit more difficult to hear than others depending on their size and the frequencies they emit.. I tune for the sweet spot by loosening the batter head and flipping the drum over to work on the resonant head. I also take all the tension of the resonant head and bring it up slowly until you start to get some tone out of the drum. At this point flip it back over and do the same to the batter head. At this point I'm probably working with 1/16" turns of the drum key bring up both heads until I get the most resonance and sustain from the drum. Keeping both heads at approximately the same pitch will always enhance the sound (if you like your drums to sing). If you're going for a pitch bend, this will shorten the sustain time of the drum. After you do this several times it will become much faster and you'll know automatically when you start to enter the drum's sweet spot. There is only one actual sweet spot per drum, but think of it as an arrow head with the sweet spot being the tip and the fan of the arrow head being how far above and below the center spot you can actually go for a higher or lower pitch for that particular drum. It's much like adjusting a tuned circuit in a receiver or transmitter. There is a definite peak to the coil and on either side of the peak, a gradual slope. One side of the slope may be more gradual than the other. With drums, the more gradual slope is usually on the lower frequency side of the tuning compared to the higher or more tensioned side of the slope. It's much easier to demonstrate rather than explain, but that's basically it.

Dennis

.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Soupy Soupy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 987
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
This really wouldn't bother me at all since I'm not a hunter
You aren't a hunter because you don't have to be one to survive. Once upon a time, you did have to kill things to eat, or else starve. Fortunately technology such as agriculture and domestication of animals has meant that you don't have to hunt for your food anymore. Smilarly, tuning drums is merely a means to an end, and if technology can achieve the same end... namely playing the drums... in a more efficient manner, then so be it, another chore has been made less onerous.

If a drum tuned as easily and quickly as a guitar, no one would regret that.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
You aren't a hunter because you don't have to be one to survive. Once upon a time, you did have to kill things to eat, or else starve. Fortunately technology such as agriculture and domestication of animals has meant that you don't have to hunt for your food anymore. Similarly, tuning drums is merely a means to an end, and if technology can achieve the same end... namely playing the drums... in a more efficient manner, then so be it, another chore has been made less onerous.

If a drum tuned as easily and quickly as a guitar, no one would regret that.
It all comes down to it that someone still has to kill those animals to put food on our plates, unless you're a vegetarian, but it just doesn't have to be me. Technology is a good thing in most cases, but I have yet to see technology that is better at achieving the goal of tuning a drum that's better or more accurate than the human ear, unless the individual is too lax to try to learn the craft, then I guess anything would sound better than a flat sounding kit. Who ever said that by using some kind of tuning device that it is more efficient? I'll tell you, it's the person that can't tune their kit without some sort of a crutch. It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative. It's not a chore if you know what you're doing. In your case it seems as if chore is synonymous with "sucks". I can just picture the individual frantically running around their house looking for their tuning machine which was inadvertently misplaced, broken or has an expired battery, this won't happen with my ears, lol.

A guitar is similar to drums in the respect that after the new strings are installed and tuned, it's just basically keeping them in tune with a slight touch-up. This is what I do, but I'm using drum heads instead of strings.

We both have our opinions, I just base mine on better learning skills.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
There is a definite peak to the coil and on either side of the peak, a gradual slope. One side of the slope may be more gradual than the other. With drums, the more gradual slope is usually on the lower frequency side of the tuning compared to the higher or more tensioned side of the slope. It's much easier to demonstrate rather than explain, but that's basically it.

Dennis

.
Hey thanks for the textbook explanation Dennis!

I actually kinda understood that.This material would make a great clinic. My main challenge I think would be how far to tighten down the lugs after it starts to resonate.
I guess keep it at lowest possible tone where it resonates?

As you said earlier, that's why some of us resort to tuning to notes because at least there's a target to aim for. Determining the bullseye of that target however, is the challenge.

I'm gonna have to learn more about finding the sweet spot.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,153
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

When you torque the lugs too tight you always know it because the drum chokes and it loses the nice mellow tone. It gets that tupperware sound.
High toms as a rule can take a bit more crank on the resos than floor toms.
I tune my floor tom resos at almost the same pitch as the batter.
My high tom reso is usually higher in pitch than the batter because the drum can handle it better.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 15,899
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I'm truly stuck between two camps here. I pride myself in being able to tune well, but I also see real world advantages with this product. Tuning in a noisy environment is a big one for me. How many times have I turned up at a gig, only to find that I want to tune differently to allow for the stage/room, & it's as noisy as hell.

I also like the exchange of tuning ideas thing as well. Even from a drum manufacturers pov, you can suggest tunings for your product that offer certain sound characteristics.

To me, it all hinges on accuracy. If this product is truly accurate, then I think it's a winner. I tried a tuning dial thingy once, & gave up after it became clear that it just wasn't accurate, & I could tune better & faster without it.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
When you torque the lugs too tight you always know it because the drum chokes and it loses the nice mellow tone. It gets that tupperware sound.
High toms as a rule can take a bit more crank on the resos than floor toms.
I tune my floor tom resos at almost the same pitch as the batter.
My high tom reso is usually higher in pitch than the batter because the drum can handle it better.
Are you typically keeping the tone at the lowest possible tone (something like "JAW")?
I suppose that is a personal preference for everyone.

I think I started out trying to find the sweet spot of my drums a few years back. I lacked the patience (and skill) to really find that spot. I then had to resort to tuning to notes for at least a reference point to shoot for.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm truly stuck between two camps here. I pride myself in being able to tune well, but I also see real world advantages with this product. Tuning in a noisy environment is a big one for me. How many times have I turned up at a gig, only to find that I want to tune differently to allow for the stage/room, & it's as noisy as hell.

I also like the exchange of tuning ideas thing as well. Even from a drum manufacturers pov, you can suggest tunings for your product that offer certain sound characteristics.

To me, it all hinges on accuracy. If this product is truly accurate, then I think it's a winner. I tried a tuning dial thingy once, & gave up after it became clear that it just wasn't accurate, & I could tune better & faster without it.
Don't know if this video is posted here yet, but it's pretty interesting from a Drum Tech's POV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1EKjrMZzM

I don't think he's endorsed, but he mentioned he received a prototype...

Last edited by BigDinSD; 02-25-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: EDIT: Didn't mean to hijack thread - but thought to add some good feedback here...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 944
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm truly stuck between two camps here. I pride myself in being able to tune well, but I also see real world advantages with this product. Tuning in a noisy environment is a big one for me. How many times have I turned up at a gig, only to find that I want to tune differently to allow for the stage/room, & it's as noisy as hell.

I also like the exchange of tuning ideas thing as well. Even from a drum manufacturers pov, you can suggest tunings for your product that offer certain sound characteristics.

To me, it all hinges on accuracy. If this product is truly accurate, then I think it's a winner. I tried a tuning dial thingy once, & gave up after it became clear that it just wasn't accurate, & I could tune better & faster without it.
KIS,

I too, believe my ears first - technology second. Ive been doing this now 35+ years, so I have a pretty good handle on tuning. THe TB is a gamechanger. I tuned 6 snares in about 15 minutes yesterday - all bang on and all where their sweet spot was. Im really pleased with the TB, but I can still tune by ear. To be fair, the snares were tuned by ear and were only off a smidge, so it was a couple of quick taps to get them within +/- 1 of where I wanted them.


F
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,153
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Are you typically keeping the tone at the lowest possible tone (something like "JAW")?

No; JAW is the starting point. I go about 1/2 turn above JAW and I work from there.
I find the middle. 1/2 to 3/4 turns of a rod above JAW is usually the middle of the effective tuning range of a tom.
A typical 8 x 12 rack tom will be tuned at about 1/2 turn above JAW on the batter and 3/4 turn above JAW on the reso.
That drum will then be bending a note in the Sweet Spot.
JAW = 1/4 turn after the tension rod washer contacts the hoop.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
zarrdoss's Avatar
zarrdoss zarrdoss is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I went to GC yesterday and messed around with one, I was really impressed with it and would have got it but it was the only one they had and everyone has been messing around with it since they got it. It was much easier than the drum dial to use and I can see where in a noisy situation where you cant really hear it would come in handy. We pulled down some snares and had them singing in no time. But I will wait until they get a new one unopened before I buy it. I can tune by ear but sometimes I just need a second opinion, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Mike Armstrong Mike Armstrong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 153
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Hey thanks for the textbook explanation Dennis!

I actually kinda understood that.This material would make a great clinic. My main challenge I think would be how far to tighten down the lugs after it starts to resonate.
I guess keep it at lowest possible tone where it resonates?

As you said earlier, that's why some of us resort to tuning to notes because at least there's a target to aim for. Determining the bullseye of that target however, is the challenge.

I'm gonna have to learn more about finding the sweet spot.

Same here Big. I'm new to tuning and I've watched a bunch of videos and read many an article but so far just trying to tune and retune has been helping me the most. I can get the drum to resonate the most but I don't know if thats what that particular drum size is supposed to sound like or does it have to do with that particular drums characteristics and when it resonates the most then thats it for that shell. Confusing.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM
kettles's Avatar
kettles kettles is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Posts: 1,201
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Any device that makes more drums sound better is a good thing in my opinion.

And things like this help people learn to tune. It's a bit like playing guitar and figuring out songs by ear vs sheet music/tabs. In the beginning I couldn't figure out a even the most simple riffs or chord patterns without having it shown to me. After a while I learned just how certain sounds are produced, things like melodic and harmonic intervals, typical chord progressions, major/minor/7th chords, became more clear. Now I'm more confident to just try figure something out before looking up the sheet music straight away. In the end it was all just ear training.

When I bought my Tension Watch I spent at least 10x more time experimenting with my drums than I would have without it. I sold it a few months later because I didn't need it anymore.

Basically I think someone who owns a Tunebot will become good at tuning whether they have it with them or not, or at least better than someone who never owned a Tunebot. Assuming those two people couldn't tune in the first place. It will teach you just as much as it will serve you (assuming it actually does work, which I guess it does!)
__________________
Hi, I'm Andrew.
My old band, come download our stuff
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,661
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
You made the statement that tuning sucks. Most people believe things suck because they don't have the mental fortitude or skill sets to really learn how to do them. I always thought algebra and calculus sucked until I learned the basics. You can learn just about anything if you put forward just a little initiative. Drum maintenance and particularly their tuning, deserves the same mind set as actually playing the drums. Just too many want things handed to them on a silver platter without actually putting the time in to hone the craft.

"no gear that can replace skill".
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech;965634?
Technology is a good thing in most cases, but I have yet to see technology that is better at achieving the goal of tuning a drum that's better or more accurate than the human ear, unless the individual is too lax to try to learn the craft, then I guess anything would sound better than a flat sounding kit. Who ever said that by using some kind of tuning device that it is more efficient? I'll tell you, it's the person that can't tune their kit without some sort of a crutch. It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative. It's not a chore if you know what you're doing. In your case it seems as if chore is synonymous with "sucks". I can just picture the individual frantically running around their house looking for their tuning machine which was inadvertently misplaced, broken or has an expired battery, this won't happen with my ears, lol.
Not to be argumentative, but these are the same things people said when the mylar drum head was introduced to replace calf skin;

Why go to plastic?
because calf skin is too inconsistent
No, just learn to tune out the inconsistencies
Because plastic isn't affected by moisture the way calf is
just learn to deal with moisture control and tuning like we've been doing for years
Why not embrace something that will improve the sound?
Because it's not natural!
But using a plastic head is more efficent
It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative.

I mean, if you take the mind set this is getting around the craft, then why use plastic heads? Why not go back to tucking your own calf skin heads?
Don't want gear that hands you good sounds to you on a silver platter? Why even buy a drum set? Why not get your own log and hollow it out the way people used to do it?
Because buying a drum set is more efficient than hollowing out our own logs.
It's only more efficient of the individual who don't want to make their own logs.

And please, don't use a pass drum pedal, because that is a modern invention designed to make a single drummer's job easier! It's only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative of a 2nd drummer to play the bass drum part along with them.




Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
. ....tuning, deserves the same mind set as actually playing the drums.
Again, not to be argumentative, but on a philosophical level, why?
As Soup said, tuning is only a means to end, it's not the task it self. Once a drum is tuned, does it matter how it got there?

If two drummers are equal, one the same kit, but drummer a tuned the drums himself, and drummer b had his roadie do it, would anyone be able to tell the difference? No. Would anyone care? No.

So how is the mind set the same as playing?

How many name pros spend much time tuning? Most touring drummers have roadies on the road that do all of the majority it for them. The name studio guys have cartage companies that set up and tune for them. Companies like "The Drum Doctor" exist solely to provide good sounding drums. Which isn't to say pros don't know how to tune, but a lot of them just don't bother to do it themselves.

But back it up, to the 70's: Look at how many legendary drummers made recordings with taped up concert toms, used hydraulic heads, or otherwise had dead/bad sounding drums. Was the tuning the same mind set as the tuning? No, the tuning was horrible, but the playing was great.

Or back up to the 60's when Ringo was using tape and towels and made some of the most popular recordings of all time. Where was the mind set on proper tuning?

Or go to today's over production, where it doesn't matter how well the drums sound, the producer goes back over everything with sound replacement software and quantizes stuff to death. Is the tuning the same mind set as the drumming? Not really.

To say some sort of drum tuner only more efficient of the individual has no other alternative is a rather arbitrary line the sand compared to all the modern products we all use to achieve a better drum sound.

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 02-26-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
Any device that makes more drums sound better is a good thing in my opinion.

When I bought my Tension Watch I spent at least 10x more time experimenting with my drums than I would have without it. I sold it a few months later because I didn't need it anymore.

Basically I think someone who owns a Tunebot will become good at tuning whether they have it with them or not, or at least better than someone who never owned a Tunebot. Assuming those two people couldn't tune in the first place. It will teach you just as much as it will serve you (assuming it actually does work, which I guess it does!)
OK...so I just further tightened down/tuned a snare and tuned my bass drum and rack toms with this gizmo. I like it :-) Right before I moved to the next head, I tested around the lugs and all nice in tune. What it's doing for me already is giving me more of an awareness in the tones for each head, and each drum. Which is teaching me lots.

I had asked earlier about finding the "sweet spot" for a drum. I dared to ask that question only because if I couldn't find it, I could clip this gizmo back on - and recover the last tuning I had.
Surely opens up a new world for me...

Perhaps I will be able to eventually say that I sold it, because my tuning was so good. Won't be for a little while though... :-)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Up2Speed's Avatar
Up2Speed Up2Speed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 153
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

There are many good points about this product in this thread. I agree that knowing how to tune without gadgets is a must but I agree with the opinion that if there is a tool available to make it easier to get to the end result then that is a great thing. I can tune by ear and "feel" so I feel I am adequate at tuning. I am buying a Tune Bot for sure.
__________________
6 Piece Drum Workshop in Ruby Glass
Pearl Demon Chain
Zildjian & Sabian
RocNSoc
Roland TD9SX
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM
mo2vation mo2vation is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 160
Default I don't get it

Why not just use a piano?

I do. Before a show, between sets. Pull the toms, tune to the piano.

Pretty simple. Takes me a few minutes.

I guess I can see not needing to pull the toms. Aside from that, I'll save the $99 and upgrade the wine at dinner.

-K
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 AM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2vation View Post
Why not just use a piano?

I do. Before a show, between sets. Pull the toms, tune to the piano.

Pretty simple. Takes me a few minutes.

I guess I can see not needing to pull the toms. Aside from that, I'll save the $99 and upgrade the wine at dinner.

-K
I actually just did (last week). I was just about to spring for a very portable keyboard (I have a grand piano, and 2 yamaha keyboards at home - all larger sized). So I too have to lug the toms over.

I would have to say that this TB cut my tuning time down, though I still unmount the toms.
Easier, faster, and accurate (for me at least) for $99. I'm just lazy like that.

It's not a cure all for tuning, and I know a lot of you experienced tuners are better off saving your money for the Cabernet. I'm still learning but this speeds up my curve.

Can I ask what notes you tune your toms to?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 AM
mo2vation mo2vation is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 160
Default Re: I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
I actually just did (last week). I was just about to spring for a very portable keyboard (I have a grand piano, and 2 yamaha keyboards at home - all larger sized). So I too have to lug the toms over.

I would have to say that this TB cut my tuning time down, though I still unmount the toms.
Easier, faster, and accurate (for me at least) for $99. I'm just lazy like that.

It's not a cure all for tuning, and I know a lot of you experienced tuners are better off saving your money for the Cabernet. I'm still learning but this speeds up my curve.

Can I ask what notes you tune your toms to?

HI buddy

I play DW's. 96 Keller Green Sparkle gems in fast tom sizes.

I tune the Batter and Reso to the notes stamped inside. No tape, no gel. I let the toms just sing.

8" F# (add on... eBay a few weeks ago. Thanks everyone here for the Blick tip. Easy as pie getting this to a nearly identical match with the Sparkle Bright!)

10" Bb (original)

12" D (original)

14" C (original)

16" G# (add on from eBay a few years ago - finish ply already matched... Traditional depth, 1" deeper... 2002 non-Keller DW shell. This thing thunders, but at G# its barely tight enough to take out the wrinkle!)

20" Kick - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

14 X 5.5 Craviotto Snare from 2001 - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

10 X 5 DW mini side Snare from 2007 - Tune to taste. I don't tune this to a specific note.

Evans Black Rezos, DW Remo Batters on all toms.

Evans G1 on Snare batter with tiny Gel patches, Remo Snare Membrane on rezo

DW Rezo on Kick, Evans EMAD batter

Daz it.

Love this kit. Its my Anti-kit. Played Yamaha Custom Recording through the 80s. Spitting blood and setting myself on fire on the strip throughout the 80's So funny. 2 X 26, black piano laquer, the whole 9. Big Tommy A Kit. Wanted something small and tasty for the last half of my life - so I grabbed this teeny DW. All I needed to do was hit the toms in the shop, and I knew this would be the kit to take me home. To me, tone is everything in a drum. I'm a nut about tuning, and there is a very specific tone that moves me. I get that tone from this kit.

I've played a thousand kits. This is mine. And to me, nothing else sounds like it.

Love this kit. Taken it everywhere. Play it every week - sounds amazing.

Rhone Blend my friend. MSG

:)

-K
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not to be argumentative, but these are the same things people said when the mylar drum head was introduced to replace calf skin;
Sorry, but after working most of the day, I really don't have the time or initiative to read your entire post, maybe tomorrow.

I will comment about the Mylar heads though, since it was the first thing off your keyboard. When the Tune-Bot is fifty some years old as are the Mylar drum heads, maybe we won't be needing this non-argumentative banter. I know fifty years from now I'll be looking at the entire situation from another viewpoint, lol.

Oh, BTW, when I got home this afternoon a package was waiting for me. After I called an acquaintance of mine the other day, he had a Tune-Bot waiting for me when I arrived home. As I said in an earlier post, I'll keep an open mind about the product until I have one in my hands, and now I do. I only had a few minutes to play with it today, but that's all I'll say for now.



Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 02-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
PeteN PeteN is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 636
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Someone wake up Dennis!!! :-)

Waiting for a review lol !
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Someone wake up Dennis!!! :-)

Waiting for a review lol !
LOL! Like a food critique coming into the resturaunt :-)

Hey Dennis,

Do you have that tom tuned to a "C" (12 incher?)?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 944
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Sorry, but after working most of the day, I really don't have the time or initiative to read your entire post, maybe tomorrow.

I will comment about the Mylar heads though, since it was the first thing off your keyboard. When the Tune-Bot is fifty some years old as are the Mylar drum heads, maybe we won't be needing this non-argumentative banter. I know fifty years from now I'll be looking at the entire situation from another viewpoint, lol.

Oh, BTW, when I got home this afternoon a package was waiting for me. After I called an acquaintance of mine the other day, he had a Tune-Bot waiting for me when I arrived home. As I said in an earlier post, I'll keep an open mind about the product until I have one in my hands, and now I do. I only had a few minutes to play with it today, but that's all I'll say for now.



Dennis

Its on backwards, sir.


F
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
LOL! Like a food critique coming into the resturaunt :-)

Hey Dennis,

Do you have that tom tuned to a "C" (12 incher?)?
No, it is what comes up on the display when booted-up.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Its on backwards, sir.


F
Why would you say that it's on backwards? It's supposed to be able to read accurately placed anywhere on the hoop. I've even read some people hold it above the drum. I could turn it upside down but then I would have to read it from the front of the kit. Besides it looked better there as a photo op, better composition, lol..

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 944
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

the sensing hole is on the other end, away from the red dot. Put it anywhere on the hoop, but youll get better readings with the other end over the head...see the TB website.


F
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
the sensing hole is on the other end, away from the red dot. Put it anywhere on the hoop, but you'll get better readings with the other end over the head...see the TB website.


F
I see what you mean. The little sensing hole is just a tiny electret microphone which should be able to hear the pitch of the drum as long as it's in close proximity. If these things are somewhat calibrated, the exact positioning between the microphone and the head of the drum could make a difference. Most if not all electret microphones are omni directional so actual head to sensor distance would not be influenced by any proximity effect as it would be with a cardioid element.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Someone wake up Dennis!!! :-)

Waiting for a review lol !
Sorry, but it's going to be a while. Two of my add on drums for the Ludwig kit came in yesterday, so they have to be disassembled, inspected, the hardware tightened and tension rods lightly lubed before putting them back together. I also have an unscheduled voice session going on this afternoon. I didn't expect my drums or the Tune Bot to make it into my hands so quickly.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
PeteN PeteN is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 636
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Sorry, but it's going to be a while. Two of my add on drums for the Ludwig kit came in yesterday, so they have to be disassembled, inspected, the hardware tightened and tension rods lightly lubed before putting them back together. I also have an unscheduled voice session going on this afternoon. I didn't expect my drums or the Tune Bot to make it into my hands so quickly.

Dennis
Ok Dennis...I'll be patient lol ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
iontheable's Avatar
iontheable iontheable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 295
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Anyone have a link for this being sold by GC? I cannot seem to find it on their site.

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontheable View Post
Anyone have a link for this being sold by GC? I cannot seem to find it on their site.

Thank you
You'll have to call your local store. They are a "promo" item at the moment. The GC guys confirmed they are not on the website for that reason.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com