DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 AM

Default I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I picked one up at Guitar Center (currently the only place they are available) and this is an AWESOME device! For those who haven't heard about the Tune Bot, check out this link:

http://tune-bot.com/

I'm not a member of the company making them, so don't think that. This lets you measure the frequency of the drum at each specific lug while tuning, as well as the overall pitch of both batter and reso heads. It takes the guessing out of the tuning process.

Since I like to tune my toms at the lowest possible pitch, I clip the tune bot to the rim and keep tightening the lugs in a star pattern gradually until it barely resonates. Then, I observe the frequency noted in Hz and tune each lug to that frequency. Sometimes it is necessary to tune them up a bit to get all of the wrinkles out, but I can evenly tune the heads on both sides to the lowest possible pitch much easier and accurately than before.

Also, tuning the snare was hard for me because I have the reso head tighter than the batter side, and once I have it tuned the way I like it the tune bot will store the frequency in it's memory so the next time I tune I won't have to remember what the specific pitch was. This device can remember frequencies for 9 different drums both batter and reso heads, as well.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who is anal about tuning like me...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I thought the Tune-bot worked very well. I should be receiving mine in a week or so.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

If I were ever going to head into a studio to record, I think I'd have to get one of these... This would definitely take the guesswork out of tuning.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

I must admit, after seeing that video, I'm impressed. It may be especially useful if I want to put up some drum comparison videos later this year (i.e. a number of drums all tuned exactly the same). I regard myself as a competent tuner, but there's aspects of this product that I like. For example, the ability to tune in a noisy environment.

I've avoided the drum dial stuff, frankly, because I'm faster & my ears are more accurate than the product.

Think I might just get one of these Tune Bot things though :)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

I think the TB is a very useful device, but it is very easy to get lost in the technology. Ive had mine now for a few days and what Ive found is that my ear is very good, but the TB allows me to fine tune what my ear cant. I tuned up my Sonor SQ2s by ear and found that I was only off by +/- 2 and I was able to dial in the head at that point with the TB. I do think that it is better than the DrumDial as a quicky assistant to the ear.

F
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

So does the Tunebot really work as well as the videos imply? Does it filter overtones well enough to give accurate, repeatable measurements on a heavily out of tune drum?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Do you need to move the TB around each lug to get each reading? Looks like you can just keep it in one place and read all the lugs frequencies?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Do you need to move the TB around each lug to get each reading? Looks like you can just keep it in one place and read all the lugs frequencies?
nope, just set it up and start tuning.

F
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

How much is it?

$$$$$
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

99 bux @ GC - enjoy!

F
Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

I was very impressed with the live demo I got at NAMM.

I've still been a bit on the fence about buying one. So it is helpful to hear people are having positive experiences with it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, I just stopped into a GC during lunch to check out some gear. I then remembered this product and asked the sales guy in the drum dept about it. He said "We just received one, but I bought it"

He seemed to be thrilled about it, and said that he'd been drumming for quite a while and is quite good tuning by ear. I heard it's pretty user-friendly.

I'm wondering how you could clamp it to the bass drum hoop to tune the BD?
I'm a little hesitant at the moment because it is such a new product (electronic at that). I've purchased items 3-5 months after their initial release that have been "improved" or modified based on user's feedback or problems.

BTW - the 2 year protection plan at GC is $16. I guess you'd be good for 2 years at least.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Gold Member

I will have to put this on my list!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Seems cool...but not 99 bucks cool.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
For my smaller toms (8 and 10") I was able to keep it on one spot while tuning each head. For the 12, 13, and 16" toms, I tuned one half side of the head, then moved the Tune Bot to the opposite side. I found it wouldn't always get a good pitch reading while hitting the head on the opposite side of the drum.

Quote:
Yeah, I just stopped into a GC during lunch to check out some gear. I then remembered this product and asked the sales guy in the drum dept about it. He said "We just received one, but I bought it"

He seemed to be thrilled about it, and said that he'd been drumming for quite a while and is quite good tuning by ear. I heard it's pretty user-friendly.

I'm wondering how you could clamp it to the bass drum hoop to tune the BD?
I'm a little hesitant at the moment because it is such a new product (electronic at that). I've purchased items 3-5 months after their initial release that have been "improved" or modified based on user's feedback or problems.

BTW - the 2 year protection plan at GC is $16. I guess you'd be good for 2 years at least.
I was able to hold the Tune Bot right above the head where the kick drum lugs were, and get a consistent reading. I got myself the 2 year plan. Heck, $16 isn't anything these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
I will have to put this on my list!
Please do! It's the best $99 I've spent for anything drum related. It takes all the guesswork out of tuning and the process goes much quicker.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if the price will go up or down as they starting selling them more widely. I want one of these.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Is $99 expensive for you guys in the states or something? If I wanted to import a tune bot, it would still end up being cheaper than buying a Drum Dial from a store here. Also cheaper than a Tama Rhythm Watch, a Boss pedal guitar tuner, and a little more than a good kick batter head. I know things are relatively more expensive here than in the US but to me that doesn't seem overly expensive for what it does.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

The Tunebot website lists $149 and the only retailer listing it from pre-order is 99. Where did the $99 come from?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

A few posts up :)

Also, on their FB page for you UK folk - "For UK customers there will soon be some units available through www.absolutemusic.co.uk"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tune-b...086495?sk=wall
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
Is $99 expensive for you guys in the states or something? If I wanted to import a tune bot, it would still end up being cheaper than buying a Drum Dial from a store here. Also cheaper than a Tama Rhythm Watch, a Boss pedal guitar tuner, and a little more than a good kick batter head. I know things are relatively more expensive here than in the US but to me that doesn't seem overly expensive for what it does.
A Tama Tension Watch costs me $60, an Evans GMAD cost me $45 here in the US.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
I was able to hold the Tune Bot right above the head where the kick drum lugs were, and get a consistent reading. I got myself the 2 year plan. Heck, $16 isn't anything these days.
Hey Embalmer,

Does the device have to touch the bass drum head?

This thing's pretty cool. I was thinking of picking up a small keyboard to tune my drums but this could work...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Hey Embalmer,

Does the device have to touch the bass drum head?

This thing's pretty cool. I was thinking of picking up a small keyboard to tune my drums but this could work...
Nope. I just hold it by the clip two inches over the head at the hoop and strike the head with a stick to get the pitch. Simple.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Nope. I just hold it by the clip two inches over the head at the hoop and strike the head with a stick to get the pitch. Simple.
I would need three hands to do that. One to hold Tune-Bot, one to hold the stick hitting the drum and one to turn the drum key to fine tune the tension rod getting the head in-tune with itself.

Dennis
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I must admit, after seeing that video, I'm impressed. It may be especially useful if I want to put up some drum comparison videos later this year (i.e. a number of drums all tuned exactly the same). I regard myself as a competent tuner, but there's aspects of this product that I like. For example, the ability to tune in a noisy environment.

I've avoided the drum dial stuff, frankly, because I'm faster & my ears are more accurate than the product.

Think I might just get one of these Tune Bot things though :)
Went through the whole demo at the NAMM show, the darn thing really works and they figured a way electronically to average the sonic wave pattern from each strike of the drum. I'm pretty darn good at pitch tuning and check against a .mp3 file of e-drums to see where I'm at. This device is going to enable me to get my toms dead on pitch. As Florian pointed out, you can tune them close and then dial them in perfectly with this thing. I should have mine in a week or so.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Silver Member

clip it on your drum hoop - anywhere - power it up and start tappin lugs. Its that easy. I tuned another 6 snares in about 15 minutes this eve.

F
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
clip it on your drum hoop - anywhere - power it up and start tappin lugs. Its that easy. I tuned another 6 snares in about 15 minutes this eve.

F
Did you find any of the "suggested" starting points helpful? I see where they have posted some but I am wondering if they are useful or not for a beginning tuner who might not know what to listen for.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
Did you find any of the "suggested" starting points helpful? I see where they have posted some but I am wondering if they are useful or not for a beginning tuner who might not know what to listen for.
Everything suggested was tuned too high for my tastes. I like to tune just above wrinkle, and the toms were too much for me. Plus, I like my batter and reso to be the same pitch, and I believe their suggestions have the reso higher.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Everything suggested was tuned too high for my tastes. I like to tune just above wrinkle, and the toms were too much for me. Plus, I like my batter and reso to be the same pitch, and I believe their suggestions have the reso higher.
I guess they figured on average "good" starting points. Every drum has its own personality and fundamental where it sings. I'm looking forward to getting mine. I think it will have an overall good success rating. If you know how to tune it's going to help get the pitch perfect and if you don't; it should get you much better results than anything else on the current market. That's my take on it anyway.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Went through the whole demo at the NAMM show, the darn thing really works and they figured a way electronically to average the sonic wave pattern from each strike of the drum. I'm pretty darn good at pitch tuning and check against a .mp3 file of e-drums to see where I'm at. This device is going to enable me to get my toms dead on pitch. As Florian pointed out, you can tune them close and then dial them in perfectly with this thing. I should have mine in a week or so.
Please let me know what you think when yours arrives. There's probably a couple of weeks wait before they're available here, so that gives me more time to canvass informed opinion.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

It seems that Absolute Music in the UK have sold out of their initial order (according to the TuneBot facebook page). Damnit! Their first batch is expected for the end of April, so I am unsure when the next set will be hitting stores.

Anyone know of anywhere else or any more up to date info?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM

For the lucky ones who already own one: which frequencies (or notes) do you have for your snare drum(s)?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles
Also, on their FB page for you UK folk - "For UK customers there will soon be some units available through www.absolutemusic.co.uk"
That sounds good. Definitley going to have a look into it :D
I had a look at the page, but it's only available for pre-order. It's not saying when it's actually going to be in stock...
*puts up tent to wait*

Last edited by standupBela; 03-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

This looks and sounds like a very promising product.
They should be bundled with drumsets.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

How to tune a tom.

Seat the head.
Equalize tension at JAW.
Then;
1/2 turn on each batter rod.
3/4 turn on each reso rod.
Tap at each lug and find the one with the lowest pitch and bring it up to match the others.
You are done! Go and play your drums.

Why is this such a big deal for everyone?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I want numbers. Precision numbers. I don't need this product, but I want it anyway. It appeals to the scientist in me. Plus tuning a drum to a pure note...it looks pretty easy to do with this product.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
How to tune a tom.

Seat the head.
Equalize tension at JAW.
Then;
1/2 turn on each batter rod.
3/4 turn on each reso rod.
Tap at each lug and find the one with the lowest pitch and bring it up to match the others.
You are done! Go and play your drums.

brother I agree 100%. this is what we have all done. guitar players bass players and just about every other instruments have some way of tuning perfectly, except on acoustic drum. I'm very happy with my tuning abilities but this will help me get that pitch perfect. we still need to learn how to tune and what to listen for, there are no substitutes for that.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Hmmm, I'm interested, it's supposed to be at Guitar Center, but on their website it says 'no item found' ?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
brother I agree 100%. this is what we have all done. guitar players bass players and just about every other instruments have some way of tuning perfectly, except on acoustic drum. I'm very happy with my tuning abilities but this will help me get that pitch perfect. we still need to learn how to tune and what to listen for, there are no substitutes for that.
I tune my bass drum the same way.
I have tried all kinds of tuning devices and ideas over the years and this is always what I come back to. It works every time.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
Hmmm, I'm interested, it's supposed to be at Guitar Center, but on their website it says 'no item found' ?
More than likely:

It's a brand new product from a new manufacture they recently discovered, so it may not be built into the website yet. A lot of new products come out in January, and it can take a while to get everything up.

As a brand new product from a new manufacturer, the initial order may be a test run to see how it goes before they fully commit to stocking it full time on the web and in all the stores.

But I agree it is a bit odd that there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. Not even a "coming soon" listing.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I think what will make or break this product is recording engineers and roadies. i.e. people who deal with drums but aren't necessarily drummers.

The night before I saw this NAMM, I had dinner with a few recording engineers. As we were talking, one of them asked why there isn't a product that can really allow anyone to tune drums easily. Engineers who are not drummers are generally at the mercy of whatever gear the drummer brings in, which may or may not fit the job the engineer is expected to do (i.e. make a great sounding recording).

What impressed me if that it could get a reading from a drum in a noisy room. I think back to all the times I've been setting up for a gig, but I can't hear my drums well enough to tune because another band is sound checking, or the house engineer is putting the PA through it's paces, or whatever sound distractions are going on. For a roadie who deals with said stuff everyday, this could be a big help.

As for why? Well, any decent guitar player can tune by ear, but we still expect every pro to have a guitar tuner on them. If it's good for the goose, maybe it's good for the gander too. Well see how it pans out in the long run.