DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 AM

Default Good score on my part?

Hey everyone. So, Friday night I was in my local music shop picking up snare heads for my "new" snare, when I came across a set of Axis X double pedals for 149.99 used. I immediately grabbed a throne, and set them up on the practice pad area they have, and fell in love. They came with mismatched felt beaters, which I promptly changed out for DW dual sided beaters, but I also got them home, and tore them apart. Looking at the bearings in the u joints, there was grease all over them. And i mean stuck on, hardened grease. I sprayed them with wd-40, took a few qtips and cleaned them out. I did the same with the sealed bearings, but without the wd. I put a few drops of Gibraltar pedal oil on all the bearings, and played them. I played a show with them last night, and they were awesome. No mic on the bass drum, and everyone could hear it. They were so powerful. Is this a good score? Or is this a normal price for these. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give some details into the situation. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Good score on my part?

That is a very good price. Usually they go closer to 250.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 AM

I believe the price was supposed to be 149 for each pedal, not 149 for the pair...whoops. Not my fault though! lol
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 AM
audiotech

If you like them, then it was a good score.

Dennis
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 AM

definitely, if they feel good and are in good mechanical shape.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
Hey everyone. So, Friday night I was in my local music shop picking up snare heads for my "new" snare, when I came across a set of Axis X double pedals for 149.99 used.

Looking at the bearings in the u joints, there was grease all over them. And i mean stuck on, hardened grease. I sprayed them with wd-40, took a few qtips and cleaned them out.

I did the same with the sealed bearings.
There are no bearings in the AXIX UDS (U Joints), its simply a compound called LocTite, any grease on it should be left there.

Also there are no sealed bearings on AXIS pedals and need infrequent lube. AXIS sends them out lubed with white grease, which lasts a long time.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM

So then, those little balls that spin inside the u joint everytime i move them arent bearings? What are they then? Little balls that spin every time I rotate the ujoints? ;-)

And yes, Im very happy with my purchase, so I think its a good score, no matter the people that try to pick it apart because I was mistaken. I cant wait to get home today to get my feet back on those things on my DW go anywhere practice kit.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
So then, those little balls that spin inside the u joint everytime i move them arent bearings? What are they then? Little balls that spin every time I rotate the ujoints? ;-)
Those joints don't spin, they pivot, they only pivot to adjust the shaft to the angle of your pedals, so you want them covered in grease, which keeps moisture/dirt out.

The less the balls move the better and the grease helps. The grease also keeps the LocTite (the black cube) from drying out.

When you do get play in the joint you can tighten down on the LocTite to take the play out. There is a process to this.