DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Default DW pedals ... kind of crap?

I just got a new Gretsch kit, and for hardware I wanted to go all DW. My ride, crash, and snare stand are the DW 3000 series and they're great. But I have to say, after looking at the DW 3000/5000 level hi-hat stands and kick pedals ... they seem kind of crap, particularly for the price.

I have a Pearl 900 kick pedal and hi-hat stand for my e-kit, and they just seem overall better constructed and more durable than most of DW's lineup. The only benefit I see from going DW is the two-leg setup on the hi-hat. But man, the DW hat just feels so cheap.

Are DW pedals just kind of junk? Or do you have to go to a minimum (expensive) level to get quality that most other manufacturers give you at lower prices?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW pedals ... kind of crap?

dw pedals are great... you just got to set them up so that your feet can play them how your feet play....

after all it all comes down to your feet.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have a DW5000 pedal that works well and has done across many gigs. It's a reliable workhorse, but I bought some Yamaha pedals last year, & I think they're a much better engineered job. Same with Yamaha hat stands. I have two 2 x legged stands from two different series, & they're unbeatable IMO. Much better construction quality than anything DW, & cheaper too!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

How are the Yamaha pedals and HH stands compared to Sonor's, KIS?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Pioneer Member

I played 5000 series pedals for more than 20 years, they are far from "crap" as you put it. The 3000 I can't comment on but the 5000 is a tank and a workhorse. I have a 5000 series two leg stand as well that I've used for 15 years and it's never given me a single problem and feels very sturdy and well constructed. I also have a 9000 series pedal that I've used for 4 years and just got a yamaha flying dragon direct drive and have to say I prefer the feel of the yamaha over my dw's.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

I'm currently running a DW3002 because in the store it felt solid and responsive. I've been playing it on gigs for over a year now with no real issues. Before that, I played a 7000 single for over two years. Maybe you got a "Monday morning" pedal?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

My dw2002 double pedal has served me very well so far (1.5 years) with quite some 'flight hours' so far. It's considered a beginner pedal but it does everything. The build quality is totally ok to me. Can't judge on anything else by dw as that pedal is the only thing made by dw which I have.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

The lesson here it that you should try before you buy.
What I consider to be the perfect piece of hardware for me may not be to your liking.
Price isn't always the answer either.
ATGNAT sampled the hardware and decided that it wasn't for him.
Just because you don't like something isn't reason to call it crap.
As you see from the responses other people like the dw hardware just fine.
I have no problems with dw pedals either.
The single chain dw 5000 pedal is modled after the famous Camco pedal I believe.
I play a Camco and I love it.
I also have a $50 Sonor pedal that I like and an Iron Cobra that I like.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
audiotech

I own a DW 5000 chain pedal and also a 5000 three legged hi hat stand and wouldn't put the word "crap" describing either one. I also own the Pearl 900 hi hat stand and think that it's great. Actually I replaced the 900 stand with the DW 5000. With anything that you're concerned about a certain feeling when playing it, research and personal experience is key. If you want to get really critical, check the stands with the same weight cymbals you usually use, at least the same diameter cymbals. I don't buy anything until I've thoroughly checked them out in person. I have many other pedals and stands and when I'm playing them, "crap" never really enters my mind.

Dennis
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

To be fair to our OP though, I found the 3500 hi-hat stand a little on the light side. But on the other hand, that's what they say it is - a light-to-medium hi-hat stand. When you compare the 3000 series to the 5000 series, there is a big difference when you look at the size of the tubing between the two lines. I wouldn't say the 3500 hi-hat is crap though, it is what it is and you just have to adjust accordingly. Alot of people use the 3000 series hardware and I've yet to hear any real complaints. I will allow that because it's DW, you tend to not get as good a discount on their stuff as you would other manufacturers, so you do pay a bit more, but it's par for the territory. Remember when Yamaha had their hey-day in the 80s? Their prices then were a little stiffer than everybody elses' too.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

DW pedals aren't for everyone, but the 5000 line has been the most popular seller and used by millions of working and top name drummers for 20 years.

I'm not sure what corners they cut for the 3000 series, so maybe that's the issue.

I personally don't care for the 9000 series, too bulky for me, but at lot of big names use them.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Talking hardware here, I personally think (for the price point) there are other companies making better hardware than DW. Pearl, Tama, Mapex, and now Ludwig coming out with new hardware Dw I think are going to have problems. Sure it's good stuff but take individual pieces of hardware and compare there is way better more sturdy and reliable hardware out there for a heck of a lot less money.
Snare stands, Pearls s1000, s 2000 are more sturdy and durable for a ton less, the eliminator pedals are much less than the comparable 5000, and cost less and have twice the features, etc..
I love Dw drums, and they are hard to beat, but the hardware I believe is very beatable.
Sorry I guess we were just talking pedals here... I kinda went off a bit.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
How are the Yamaha pedals and HH stands compared to Sonor's, KIS?
I've no idea my friend, because I haven't seen up to date Sonor hardware for a good few years. I did have some Sonor hardware back in the day, & it was always right up there from a construction quality point of view.

The big surprise to me was the Yamaha pedals. I've used Yamaha d for years, & believe it to be consistently the best out there, but I always regarded their pedals as a bit cumbersome & uninspiring. Their latest 9000 series are very well made & also very smooth & responsive. Constructional quality is certainly a cut above the DW5000 series, and, at least in the UK, cheaper too.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Well I figured I'd get some full-throated defense from DW fans, and after all it is just an opinion ... and all my other stands are DW, so I have nothing against the company. They generally seem to make great stuff (I prefer Gretsch drums, but if I didn't DW would be my drums of choice).

But I really can't wrap my head around what I see as the shoddiness of the 3000 pedal series in particular. They cost over $100 and don't feel like quality to me. I'm not trying to start a Pearl-vs-DW war, and I'm not a Pearl fanboy (I don't care for their drums and don't generally look to buy their hardware, I just bought the Pearl pedal b/c it was cheap) but my $69 Pearl kick pedal just feels sturdier. It has a chain guard and if I put my foot on it I can't sway the footboard back and forth - unlike the DW 3000, which feels loose and cheap. In fact, the cheapest Pearl pedal feels about the same build quality as the DW 5000, which is three times the price!

This might all be moot because with my size-13 feet I've been thinking of trying a longboard or something similar, but I was just surprised at the seeming lack of bang-for-buck in the DW series.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM

3000,5000,7000,9000 are all great and I own the 7000 series which are pretty much 3000 series. They are all good and smooth, just put the dw hardcore beaters on and it makes them even faster. they are not crap.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
In fact, the cheapest Pearl pedal feels about the same build quality as the DW 5000, which is three times the price!
LOL, I don't think so dude. You only seem to have experience with the 3000, which is a budget line. If you haven't really tried the 5000 don't speak for it; a really solid all-around pedal at an excellent price point.

Fox.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Own a DW 8002 longboard double pedal, i debated for a while between the 5000 double and this one as i found both were of superb build quality. The same day i also tried out the Pearl Demon Drive pedals, but found that they did not have the right feel, im not going to say "cheap" or "frail" because it wasnt a build quality issue, they just felt...light. It could have just been the difference between chain and direct drive as well.

In my experience as far as pedals go, i find that once you get into a decent price range there are no clear losers. I personally cant stand the feel of iron cobras, they are the pedals that i replaced with my 8002's. But there are a lot of people out there who think that DW pedals are way too heavy .etc .etc.

I think youre mistaking feel for build quality....i have not seen a set of DW pedals, even the 2000 series that i would describe as "crap" when put up against comparable pedals of other companies
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

I owned the 9000's for a bit. Really liked the feel and action, very smooth, and fairly light, after I changed over to the Yamaha felt beaters. Traded it eventually. Hate the design of that heel plate and hinge joint. Heel plate is way too bulky for me.

Same thing with the IC, great pedal, heel plate too bulky.

Been using the Yamaha flying dragons for years now. Always keep coming back to that pedal. Its all personal preference I guess, once you're used to something, its tough to change.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I've no idea my friend, because I haven't seen up to date Sonor hardware for a good few years. I did have some Sonor hardware back in the day, & it was always right up there from a construction quality point of view.
Thanks KIS. I don't have too much experience with older Sonor hardware, but as far as
I know they were the same top notch quality, but endlessly heavy :).
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

Not a dw fanboi here. I have owned Pearl Eliminators, Yammy flying dragon, dw 5k and 9k and pdp pedals. I currently own a dw9k double and 2 dw5k singles. I like them. I have size 13 feet and play barefoot.. There all fine pedals I just like the feel of the dw's most. To be honest I thought the plastic cams on the elimators were kind of cheap. The only issue I had was with the 9k double's drive shaft, it was a pin and not ball bearing connections. I replaced it with a Axis universal drive shaft. So with a little work it's exactly what I want. perfect? no, but close enough for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

I've got a DW 3000 and it's just fine for me. I'm considering a 5000, though. Or maybe a Pearl? Don't know XD Decision only after testing both.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM

The big surprise to me was the Yamaha pedals. I've used Yamaha d for years, & believe it to be consistently the best out there, but I always regarded their pedals as a bit cumbersome & uninspiring. Their latest 9000 series are very well made & also very smooth & responsive. Constructional quality is certainly a cut above the DW5000 series, and, at least in the UK, cheaper too.[/quote]

I love Yamaha hardware. Cheaper than most of the big names and very, very reliable. Agree with the pedals. I have the new 8500C. Very smooth, powerful, responsive and has the longer footboard which is great for me for playing heel toe and just because i've got quite big feet. I only use Yamaha Hardware, to me it's the best out
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

I have all Yamaha hardware except for my 9000 pedals and snare stand. When I got my Yamaha drums, I ordered Yamaha pedals as well. After 6 or 7years of punishment, it couldn't hold up any more. This was their top of the line offering right before the Flying Dragon series came out. I wasn't mad about it. It was a great pedal but just wasn't sturdy enough to keep going.
I ended up replacing it with DW's 9000 series and haven't looked back. It is built rock solid and is infinitely adjustable. The only reason I replaced my Yamaha hihat stand is because I like the idea of having matching pedals. I ended up getting the DW snare stand, too. I've never seen a heavier duty snare stand and I like the way it adjusts.
The rest of my Yamaha hardware is great. There's no reason to replace it. All great stuff. NOT crap!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 AM

DW5000 series is as standard as you can get but why would you ever go to DW looking for bang for your buck. They are expensive (sometimes esoteric) but they do make good quality stuff. I have owned both the 9000 (didn't like it) and the single chain 5000 (my backup) but I personally like Tama for pedals, but would consider DW just as tough or tougher except for the poorly designed heel plate hinge. And really no decent pedal makes that much difference once your technique is down.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 PM

I used a DW 5000 series for 2 months before the chain broke on it. I'm not a "heavy" drummer at all - chain broke during a gig! I've never broken a chain before or since. Seemed weird to me... I use a crappy Pearl pedal, whatever one comes with the Rhythm Traveler kit. 4 years, no problems. I also use the Iron CObra hi-hat stand, best I've ever used.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM

I will vouch for the DW hardware. Over the years I've owned 3 versions of he 5000 and one version of the 9000. For me, the 9000 was TOO smooth, then I bought a Trick Bigfoot. Trick is a great pedal but recently I bought the lastest DW5000 AD4 and now Im back home! The hardware is NOT crap whatsoever....but...everybody has their own thing and I understand that. For me, DW pedals/hihat stands have served me very very well.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Another 5000 pedal lover, here. Bought mine almost 6 years ago and have beat the living hell out of it, and it still serves me as well as day one. I've broken 3 springs in that time, but nothing else on the pedal.

Furthermore, all of my hardware is DW and it's excellent, IMO. I play 2-3 gigs a week now and I thoroughly punish my hardware...don't have a single complaint.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

I play in heavy rock bands, and I use the 2 leg 3000 hat pedal. I have 3 of them (for different kits) and one was bought when it was still a 5000L(ight).

It's sturdy, and roadworthy. I like that it's lighter--that's why I bought it.
I also use a left side ft, so 2 legs is what I need, and this pedal works and feels just fine. Even under heavy playing with 15" and 16" hi hats.

I also like the Eliminator over the 5000 or 3000, but with a delta hinge, I like the 3000 over the 5000.
Actually, I played a new 2012 model PDP pedal--has a silver finish, and pretty smooth footboard. It was super smooth and had GREAT action AND it was tagged at $89!!
To each their own, but for MY foot I'd take that PDP over a 5000 any time.
Unless someone abuses the pedal, it's not gonna fall apart. Parts used these days are too good, and something would have to be a pretty budget pedal to dump out on someone.

I also really love the Tama Camco. I just started using mine again after 20 years and just bought a new re-issue for a spare on gigs. It flies and feels awesome (also, without any heavy duty heel plate)!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM

I've used a 7000 single for years, it has held up great. I have had issues with their hardware around the church I play at, but you know how well gear can be kept there. Anything can happen. I'm looking forward to switching to 6000, which should give me a new perspective on DW's hardware. It's pricy, but I do find that when it's working right, it feels best.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 AM

I wanted to go to a dbl pedal, so I "Upgraded" from an 80's Camco single chain/pedal, to a dbl pedal/ chain DW3000.
I just got it today, but that Camco is FAR more responsive, and that heel plate on the DW3000 is outright horrible, who comes up with this stuff?
I tested the 5000 and 9000 at GC(I wanted the 9000 dbl, couldn't afford it ;( ), and I didn't notice just how horrible that heel plate is....probably because I wasn't playing heel/toe much, if at all.
Where's my grinder.............

I adjusted it best I can, and I'm gonna give it a few, but I have a feeling that pedal is gonna get sold really quick.
I'm actually gonna switch the main 3K beater with the Camco felt one and see if that helps, but that 3000 feels sluggish in comparison.....I was astounded, and obviously very disappointed.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

I've been using a DW9000 for a couple months now, and so far the heel plate is the only issue I've found that bothers me. So much so that I even took it off and put it back together with different screws and without the heel plate.
That didn't work out so well, so it's back like stock now.
I think if the heel plate were about half as thick, it would be an almost perfect pedal for me.
I'm not sure I'm ready to take the grinder to it yet though - LOL.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 AM

That 9K is ridiculously smooth, I was shocked by how smooth it was in comparison to the IC that I tried(both new).
I've never tried a pedal that smooth, of course I was out of the game the last 15, so that may explain that.
Stupid me was looking at Heel-up only I guess(would be my 1st dbl).
The 9K Hi-Hat stand was ridiculous as well.

You could take off the heel plate and bring it to a machine shop and have another one made up to your specs with tapped holes for the hinge and everything if you so choose(thinner, and without that ridiculous tread)- no big deal for a good machine shop.
My problem with the 3K, is it feels sluggish, and it's a brand new pedal just out of the box....feels like a POS in comparison to the Camco, and the spring angle(beater) on the Camco only has 3-4 holes(on MINE- I see newer ones have total swing adjustment), where as the 3K is adjustable across it's entire slot range(would probably be 5-6 holes on the older Camco I have).
I just don't think the 3K is a good pedal for me, but I'm hoping it will be after beater change/practice, as I got that pedal new for a good price....I won't hesitate to get rid of it though if need be.

Another example....don't assume......even if you read a ton of stuff.....I'm such a dumbass.

Last edited by muzz; 02-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.