DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Best Electronic Cymbals

Hello,

Which are the best electronic cymbals on the market now?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Best Electronic Cymbals

Depends entirely on what you mean by "best".

Best sound? Most high-end modules have great cymbal samples, so basic sounds will not be an issue.

Best feel as in most natural or realistic? This is where it gets sticky. A pad triggering a sample, even crossfaded for dynamics, will not behave or replicate samples in a way that a real cymbal makes sounds when bashed repeatedly, or is played expressively, for example. So when it comes to completely replacing a real cymbal, pads & modules have always fallen short when it comes to cymbals.

IMO, Roland has probably the best feel with their current cymbal pads with 3 zones, you get a pretty good sense of being able to lay into it on the edge. But nothing comes very close to a real cymbal.

Zildjian's Gen 16 cymbals are good, but, they're miked cymbals, not pads.

Bermuda
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 AM

Thanks! So are the gen 16s quiet enough to not disturb those around you if you're wearing headphones? Or are they louder than pad cymbals?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Thanks! So are the gen 16s quiet enough to not disturb those around you if you're wearing headphones? Or are they louder than pad cymbals?
I tried out the Gens at GC last weekend. They are a LOT louder then the rubber cymbals from Roland & Alesis.
I have a Pearl E-Pro set that had the brass cymbals and I sold them to buy the plastic/rubber cymbals. I ordered the Pearl plastic cymbals and I "think" they are the same as the Alesis cymbals. I had a Roland TD4SK set and those cymbals were nice. CY8's I think they were. If you have issues with neighbors and noise, the Gen's aren't the ones you want.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The Gen 16 line is intended for use with electronics, because they make real cymbal sounds... because they're real cymbals. They're quiet, but no, not as quiet as pads.

That said, they actually function quite well as quiet cymbals. You could easily use them on a dinner jazz trio gig, lessons, or wherever a reasonably normal sound at a low volume is required.

Unlike amplified instruments, in order to play drums and cymbals quieter, you have to adjust the way you play, and the sound is modified as well. Cymbals are the most difficult to deal with in terms of playing them quietly, because their sound sufferis as a result, even more-so than drums. But a quiet cymbal that actually sounds and behaves like a cymbal, is a great idea for those who need it, and most of us do from time to time.

Bermuda
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 AM

Interesting. So besides the Gen16s, what's the next in terms of feel, but with low volume then? How are the brass cymbals from the Pearl E-Pro?

I'll check out the Roland cymbal pads too but still I'd like to see what my options are as far as getting closer to an actual cymbal feel, but maintaining low volume.

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Interesting. So besides the Gen16s, what's the next in terms of feel, but with low volume then? How are the brass cymbals from the Pearl E-Pro?

I'll check out the Roland cymbal pads too but still I'd like to see what my options are as far as getting closer to an actual cymbal feel, but maintaining low volume.

Cheers!
I think the E-Pro brass (and plastic) cymbals are rebadged Alesis cymbals. Alesis are a little easier to find. I think the brass E-Pro (Alesis) cymbals are more like reals cymbals then the Gen's. The Gens are real cymbals but a much lighter alloy and I don't think the Gens are brass. You should head down to the nearest GC and try them all out. See what YOU like best.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
I think the E-Pro brass (and plastic) cymbals are rebadged Alesis cymbals. Alesis are a little easier to find. I think the brass E-Pro (Alesis) cymbals are more like reals cymbals then the Gen's. The Gens are real cymbals but a much lighter alloy and I don't think the Gens are brass. You should head down to the nearest GC and try them all out. See what YOU like best.
The Pearl e-pro cymbals and module are just re-badged Alesis components..personalIy, don't like the feel of brass(?) Alesis cymbals…as far as the rubber e-cymbals go I personnally like the yamaha cymbals..every bit as good as roland and alot less expensive..
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Roland cymbals are the best in my opinion.
You don't need to spend to much to find a nice cymbal with 3 zones like this http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/...ROLAND_CY8.jpg

Cheers ;)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 AM

The good thing about the Gen 16's being miked is it frees up more jacks on your module.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiogoR View Post
Roland cymbals are the best in my opinion.
You don't need to spend to much to find a nice cymbal with 3 zones like this http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/...ROLAND_CY8.jpg

Cheers ;)
The cymbal you referring to here (Roland cy-8) as a three zone cymbal is in fact only a two zone cymbal and is generally considered to be a mid-level e-cymbal at best...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM

johnbarnesiii, I've been playing the hell out of all the Roland and Yamaha Kits over the past 5 weeks to figure out what I wanted to buy. In the end, Yamaha got my vote and not just because of the module sounds. Also because the Roland cymbals look and act like old Simmons pads instead of the $300+ cymbals they are.

The Yamaha cymbals, in my humble opinion, are leaps and bounds beyond anything you will find on the market, especially for the price. The are 3 zone, 13 and 15 inch sizes, chokable 360 degrees and mutable/playable while slightly choking (not sure how to describe that exactly)

In the end, it's your opinion and your playing them that will decide though, so suggestions are to go play some. Be careful with Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores though. The ones in my area at least have all switched to the over expensive, absolutely horrible sounding Zildjian Gen series cymbals.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Gold Member

I played an Acoustic kit converted to electronic for a few years.......the cymbals were Pintech "Visulites"..........while not close to an actual cymbal, they had the best feel and looks of any E-cymbal I could find. They are pricey though.....every once in awhile you'll see them on ebay at a decent price
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
The Yamaha cymbals, in my humble opinion, are leaps and bounds beyond anything you will find on the market, especially for the price. The are 3 zone, 13 and 15 inch sizes, chokable 360 degrees and mutable/playable while slightly choking (not sure how to describe that exactly)
Agree...I play both brands top kits regularly..yamaha wins hands down in my book as well...having a 3rd zone and a module that can play 3 zones makes a big difference IMO also ....

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-14-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
johnbarnesiii, I've been playing the hell out of all the Roland and Yamaha Kits over the past 5 weeks to figure out what I wanted to buy. In the end, Yamaha got my vote and not just because of the module sounds. Also because the Roland cymbals look and act like old Simmons pads instead of the $300+ cymbals they are.

In the end, it's your opinion and your playing them that will decide though, so suggestions are to go play some. Be careful with Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores though. The ones in my area at least have all switched to the over expensive, absolutely horrible sounding Zildjian Gen series cymbals.
Yes I agree. I love my Yamaha 15" 3-zone ride.