DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Metal twang sound from bass drum batter head

Hi all,

I just bought a 22x20 Tama Starclassic Bubinga bassdrum second hand. I gave it a quick tuneup and brought it to studio last night. The heads are the evans stock heads for this drum, no hole in reso-head.

I rigged my kit and punched the bass drum only to discover that there was a really unpleasant metalish twangy sound in it, sort of separate from the boomy punchy sound of the drum. I think it is the batter head as I got that same sound when I rapped it with a drum key, but there was no such sound when I did the same to the reso. The studio tech also had a hell of a time miking the bass drum for some strange reason.

We didn't get the unpleasant sound in the mix, but I don't feel that I got that drum's full potential.

Off course, I'm gonna change the heads on it, but I was wondering if anyone else have had similar experiences, and have ideas on what the problem might be.

Also, any suggestions for heads for a bubinga bassdrum. I'm looking for that fat vintage sound.

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Metal twang sound from bass drum batter head

Check the tension on all the lugs to make sure its the same, and replace the heads. Maybe put a small blanket or towel in to dampen it, and also look into heads with built in muffling and a ported reso.
For heads, try remo powerstroke 3 or aquarian super kick I or super kick II

(kinda busy now, get back to you in more detail later)
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Check the tension on all the lugs to make sure its the same, and replace the heads. Maybe put a small blanket or towel in to dampen it, and also look into heads with built in muffling and a ported reso.
For heads, try remo powerstroke 3 or aquarian super kick I or super kick II

(kinda busy now, get back to you in more detail later)
I think it's the batterhead that's the prob. The drum was tuned.

I don't want to use internal dampening when in studio. I can't believe that a top series Tama drum sounds like that just because it's not dampened.

I'll look into those heads. Thanks,
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
audiotech

Does you bubinga bass drum have the original heads on it from the factory? When I bought my Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums about four years ago, they were made in Japan and and not in China and used Evans heads front and back. The batter head was an Evans EQ4. I never heard a better sounding head on that drum and I still use that model today. I really don't recall what heads are on the China made drums. My bass drum is a 22" x 18" and I couldn't ask for a better sounding bass drum. It has loads of power, attack and depth without any of the artifacts that you are talking about. I have no internal dampening, except for what's supplied by the EQ4 head, nothing stuffed inside of the drum and no port hole. The only thing I can figure is, it's the heads or the tuning or probably both.

Dennis