DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Default Hitting hard on an electric kit

I play pretty hard, especially when i get into it and forget im smashing about expensive darn equipment..
Is this a big problem with electric kits? I dont want to spend heaps for one and then have to replace parts all the time.

On another note, can you replace parts easily if they do break? Im considering second hand.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Hitting hard on an electric kit

I have a Roland set, bought it used at a music store, it was a floor model, and it has held up well. And like you I play pretty hard. I have noticed that when I am playing a fast song and I'm using a dual trigger cymbal thing and I'm switching back and fort between edge and bow really fast some times the edge notes don't trigger. But that doesn't happen very often.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM

I hit hard also on my elec kit, havent had really any problems with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
sticks4drums

Well you don't need to hit hard on an e-kit, so you shouldn't really be doing it. There are little foam triangle cones under the heads on the Roland mesh drums, that you will wear out by over hitting the heads. One of the nice things about e-kits, is that you don't have to kill them to get full expression out of them. I read an article a while back by Omar Hakim, a pro drummer that uses them. He said it was nice to play the e-kit because he did not have to put the same energy into the playing, which allowed his hands and joints to have less stress. Our hands don't really like all that hard vibration all the time. It catches up to many of us later on in life.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Sticks. Beating hard on an Ekit offers no benefit, unless you happen to be me, then, especially with a sledgehammer, it's extremely satisfying :)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Railroaddrummer - try turning the gain up on that pad, that should sort it. Careful though, too much and you'll get cross-talk.

I wouldn't worry about how hard you hit them, I naturally play mibe softer, partly because they feel different, partly because I'm not fighting to be heard and because e-kits toms are mixed at the right balance so no-more fighting the toms to get them to equal the rest of the kit.

Never broke my pads, had them 7 years, rubber yamaha ones and the meah head ones are replaceable anyway.

I do find that the kicks can sometimes destroy your technique as much as improve it, they never feel right to me. i customised mine.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 AM

I play pretty hard too, I had a Roland TD4KX and I now have a Pear E-Pro. No problems with either. I do feel like I am adapting to not having to hit so hard. I am used to 2B sticks and use them on the E-Pro. I'm trying to get used to 5B sticks. Just a little lighter. I tried 7A and can't stand them. They feel like twigs.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM

Back in the Seventies, when I would play acoustic drums and compete with lead guitarists, I played harder and harder over time, with heavier and heavier sticks, and got blisters to show for it. One day an older and wiser drummer demonstrated to me that for all my pain, I was no louder than he was. That day, employing proper grip and technique, I learned how to be just as loud without hitting as hard, and my playing improved tenfold. Of course in today's electronic era, I can play even softer and still be as loud and clear. And today, on YouTube, there are plenty of wise drummers showing us the right way to hit a drum. And the right way is not the hard way.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 AM

I played a td-9 for about a year and had the same problem. Eventually, the crashes and hi hats stopped triggering correctly, and the sensitivity in the mesh snare became inconsistent across the drum. No one noticed it while I was playing, but it bugged the hell out of me. I had no problems with the toms.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM

When it comes to acoustic kits, I can be the king of the heavy-hitters. But, when it comes to e-kits, I've developed a fairly light playing style.

Think of an acoustic and an electric guitar. The playing styles and techniques musicians use to play either one are very different. Yea, they are both "guitars" with similar fretboards, tunings, and six strings, but in many respects they are different instruments.

Don't think of an e-kit as an electronic version of your acoustic kit. Think of it as a different instrument with its own personality and develop a playing style appropriate for that instrument.