DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Recording with Sennheiser E604s, Audix D6?

I'm thinking about picking up the Sennheiser 3-pack of E604s for recording my drumset and wondering if anyone out there uses these. How do they work for you?

For the kick I am looking at the Audix D6. Any personal experience feedback with these would be appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited by aphrophluph; 02-09-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Recording with Sennheiser 5604s, Audix D6?

I've used those on my gig with Disney (I'm a sound guy there), and if I've learned anything with those guys, is that sometimes it's not so much the mic you buy (although it is important), but what you plug it into. We've taken lowly workhorse mics like the Shure SM57, and if you plug it into a high-end mic pre, like an API pre, or an Avalon, it becomes a whole 'nother bitchin' instrument to use.

I would rather see guys get mics like SM57s and 58s, but plug them into a really good console, like at least a Yamaha O1v 96. My experience with the D6 is that I thought it sounded better on floor toms. I prefer the Shure Beta 52 or the EV RE20 for bass drums.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

tnething about mic is, they are subjective ans as pointed out the sound i sum of the omplete signl chain.

i did an A. B of the B52 and the D6. both were running through mt DM-24 conole. i found the D6 o have a little more punch and the B 52 to have a litle morebotom end.

the fct is either mic sounded great to me, n the end i went with the B 52.

but agin, that is just my taste for the gear, kit, music styl and soun i was after at the time.

i wish i ha those recordings still but i dont, sorry
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

The thing about mics is, they are subjective and as pointed out the sound is the sum of the complete signal chain.

I did an A. B of the B52 and the D6. both were running through myt DM-24 console. i found the D6 to have a little more punch and the B 52 to have a little more bottom end.

The fact is either mic sounded great to me, in the end I went with the B 52.

But agin, that is just my taste for the gear, kit, music style and sound I was after at the time.

I wishIi had those recordings still but I dont, sorry

Also as stated above, you cant go wrong wit sm57s, they sound great and they are tough as he k, they will last forever.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

I'm using Sennheiser e604s and love them. Great mics that I rarely EQ (only if I'm conflicting with other instruments or vocals). You can't beat them in my opinion. The clips are rugged and sturdy, do not worry about them - they're fine. They also nice and small so they fit in places an SM57 would not. They sound great and they're tidy - good call on them.

I'm not a D6 fan...I think it sounds too 'clicky' - like there's a plastic beater hitting a silver dollar taped to the head. I know some folks love this sound. I use a Sennheiser e602 on my bass drum. I think it meets a good middle-ground between the Beta52 and D6.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM

I've used that exact combo in a live situation for the past 6 years or so and they sound great. When we record off the board live, the sound is good enough for my ears. I've used them to record a few times in a studio and they also sound great. The toms really punch and boom if that's what you like. Could be my Oak's though.

From what I hear, those 604's are almost like sm57's. They clip on well and last a long time. The D6 is a good mic overall.

This combo is not a bad setup. Not the most expensive, but not cheap either. It could be a good dual purpose live/studio mic for you. It is for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
This combo is not a bad setup. Not the most expensive, but not cheap either. It could be a good dual purpose live/studio mic for you. It is for me.
Thanks ... just what I was hoping to hear.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
I use mine exclusively to record. I think the studio sound is outstanding and I couldn't do better without spending $1000+ for 3x mics.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrophluph View Post
Thanks ... just what I was hoping to hear.
Glad to help. I didn't want to mention this because you mentioned recording but I tend to see those 604's a lot on drumsets on television/ concerts. Either live sound guys like them or pro drummers like them. But then that's a live situation. Good luck and let us know.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 AM

I use the e604 all the time in my studio. they are rugged and as long as the drum itself sounds good, they will reproduce it well.

The D6 is a little one dimensional, but I definitely use it alot on metal and hard rock recordings. it has that scooped click sound built in... works well in combination with a subkick.