DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Default Do Multi-Clamps do damage?

I've never had a multi-clamp. So I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of Multi-clamps scratching or damaging the stand its clamped to?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Do Multi-Clamps do damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
I've never had a multi-clamp. So I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of Multi-clamps scratching or damaging the stand its clamped to?
Depends on the quality of your stands and how tight you'll set the multi-clamp to the stand.

I've used multi-clamps for several years and didn't have any problems, but I have seen kits from drummer friends with marks on their stand due to multi-clamp.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM

I would have to say as long as you loosen them up to make adjustments to the clamp itself, theres little risk at the clamp scratching the finishes. And as long as you are in the general vicinity of where you want whatever it is you need the clamp for, and just have to make the small adjustments of the holder(s), you should be fine. If youre talking years and years of using and moving them, then theres probably a good possibility of scratching the finish.
Hope this helps, and I hope you can understand what Im trying to explain lol. It makes sense in my head!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

I have not experienced any problems but I am careful with them. In some cases, I line the jaws with fuzzy Velcro to pad the stand tube.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

If you over tighten them they will mar the stand tube.
If you under tighten them they will spin on the stand tube and mark it.
DMC's choice to use velcro as a protector is the way to go to be sure not to mark the stand.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Administrator

I have overtightened clamps on stands and it has put dents in the tubes. No ones fault but my own.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

Never hurts to have some memory locks around as well, so you can give the clamps a little extra support without having to crank them down too tight.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will remember not to overtighten, and will try the velcro tip.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM
audiotech

I've also seen some clamps scratch the tubes surface, usually from under tightening. I've also witnessed some of the heavier weight clamps dent the tubes on less expensive stands with thinner tubes. Usually if you're not a gorilla, everything will work out fine, lol.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I've also seen some clamps scratch the tubes surface, usually from under tightening.
This.

The clamp should be tight enough so that it allows not even the slightest movement on the stand. As someone else said, memory locks provide support as the clamp will slowly loosen by the smallest increments as your play. Every so often, go around the whole kit and tighten all your clamps.

Something I didn't see mentioned and probably the most important for avoiding damage and instability is to minimize the moment arm. Simply put, it's how far the clamped object is from where it's clamped on the stand. I hope this helps. I've had several steel Gibraltar cymbal arms and rack tubes become slowly crushed because of heavy 12" and 14" mounted toms... almost hard to believe ._.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have overtightened clamps on stands and it has put dents in the tubes. No ones fault but my own.
+1 I have an overtightening problem...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 PM

The 'overtighteners' are just tryin to subtlety brag about how much they've been workin out imo
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

heh... nah i've never intentionally exercised in my life ;)

I think it comes from when I played guitar in high school. a lot of the drummers i played with had drum kits that were pieced together through hand-me-downs, pawn shops, and back-alley treasures (ohh and extra points for the homemade PVC 'rack')... they were held together with duct tape, hose-clamps, and soda bottles (luckily they were still glass and not plastic then), and were always falling apart, including DURING shows.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natdigga View Post
Simply put, it's how far the clamped object is from where it's clamped on the stand. I hope this helps. I've had several steel Gibraltar cymbal arms and rack tubes become slowly crushed because of heavy 12" and 14" mounted toms... almost hard to believe ._.
I've always wondered how such seemingly impossible setups make their way to drum company catalogs. I mean, they should know better, right?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered how such seemingly impossible setups make their way to drum company catalogs. I mean, they should know better, right?
Because it only has to hold together until the photo session is over. ^^
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
were always falling apart, including DURING shows.
Lulz that just reminded me of my second show, or first show with a legitimate band, when I had my 14" tom mounted differently. I couldn't get the clamp to go tight enough to hold it in place for more than a few songs, so it just keep slowly rotating down, down, all the way down throughout the course of a song while my bands were obviously tied up, making my drumset look absolutely absolutely retarded. Good times
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Will remember not to overtighten, and will try the velcro tip.
Forget velcro, as that will allow the clamp to shift. Much better to use a thin rubber sheet.

Also, if you don't insulate, you WILL eventually mar the stand. It only takes one thoughtless moment and the stand it's clamped to will never be the same. ;-)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM

I finally got a clamp. I'm using it for a 10" Mini-China on the thinest stage of an old cymbal stand, clamped to the 1st stage of a new tom stand. I put a layer of cloth tape under the clamp point of the tom stand. Its very light, and because of that it's very stable.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
Much better to use a thin rubber sheet.
If I was going to use anything, this would be it.

However, I've never had a problem with my clamps causing any damage to the stands. Everything wears with time, but I've never noticed my clamps speeding up the process.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
Forget velcro, as that will allow the clamp to shift. Much better to use a thin rubber sheet.

Also, if you don't insulate, you WILL eventually mar the stand. It only takes one thoughtless moment and the stand it's clamped to will never be the same. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If I was going to use anything, this would be it.

However, I've never had a problem with my clamps causing any damage to the stands. Everything wears with time, but I've never noticed my clamps speeding up the process.
Agreed. Works great. I also use a thin plastic piece (2" x 3") from something like a milk carton or plastic container.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Maybe some of you don't move stuff around much, which is why you don't notice marring of the finish on stands to which a multi-clamp is affixed, but I can tell you that they indeed will mar finishes if you so much as bump a clamp. With that said, I have a rack setup, and quite a few of the clamps I have came with rubber inserts on the multi-clamp side of the clamps. That's an idication to me that even the manufacturers know what kind of damage ensues from application of a multi-clamp.Why else would they have spent the money to tool up a mold to make these little inserts? ;-)