DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Default Aquarian snare head help

I'm currently in the process of changing all my heads except for the bass drum batter, and I finally found the missing ingredient in my sound: Aquarian heads! I had been using the Super Kick II and after trying G2's, Pinstripes, EC2's and G1s I've found the perfect heads for my toms in the form of clear Studio X's. So with my new found loyalty to this company I'd like to try one for my snare. I had a coated Response 2 on there for a little bit (first head I tried after the stock batter), which is OK but not exactly the sound I was looking for. Then again I may have over muffled it by using an O-Ring so if that's the best type of head for this sound I'd be willing to try it again. I'd like a sound that's somewhat controlled but still has a little bit of ring. So with that in mind: which of these heads do you think would be best for getting that type of sound?

Coated Studio X- possibly with dot

Coated Super 2

Coated Focus X

Coated Response 2

Texture Coated with Power Dot- This may be too ringy for what I'm looking for but I'd definitely consider it
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Aquarian snare head help

I also love the studio x on my toms and I use a coated studio x on my snares plus I alternate between using a control ring and not using it depending if I need a wet or dry sound for the particular song I am covering. I tried the coated focus x as well but found it a bit choked when adding the control ring but sounded good without. Im not a power dot fan as the extra material in the center of the drum has a tendency to remove some of the lower tone but you can always try one and if you dont like the dot you can just peel it off. I give the same advise when asked between the classic clear and the studio x, just get the studio x and you can alwasy peel off the ring and be left with the classic clear. Also I see your using super kick 2, have you tried the sk1 and you might also want to try regulator front head if you havent already.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I also love the studio x on my toms and I use a coated studio x on my snares plus I alternate between using a control ring and not using it depending if I need a wet or dry sound for the particular song I am covering. I tried the coated focus x as well but found it a bit choked when adding the control ring but sounded good without. Im not a power dot fan as the extra material in the center of the drum has a tendency to remove some of the lower tone but you can always try one and if you dont like the dot you can just peel it off. I give the same advise when asked between the classic clear and the studio x, just get the studio x and you can alwasy peel off the ring and be left with the classic clear. Also I see your using super kick 2, have you tried the sk1 and you might also want to try regulator front head if you havent already.
Thanks for your help. I had that thought about the Focus X, so I'll rule that one out. I think I'll try the Studio X, since I love them so much on my toms and I think a single ply would blend better with single ply tom heads than a 2 ply would.

As far as the bass drum heads go, the thing I love about the SK2 is that I can play with a completely open bass drum. Does the SK1 sound good like this or is it too boomy with out a pillow or blanket inside?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummindan8484 View Post
Thanks for your help. I had that thought about the Focus X, so I'll rule that one out. I think I'll try the Studio X, since I love them so much on my toms and I think a single ply would blend better with single ply tom heads than a 2 ply would.

As far as the bass drum heads go, the thing I love about the SK2 is that I can play with a completely open bass drum. Does the SK1 sound good like this or is it too boomy with out a pillow or blanket inside?
I have the sk1 and ported regulator on mine and no extra muffling, its big and fat sounding but not boomy. A little fuller sounding with a bit more focused attack than the sk2 imo but id say resonance wise they are about the same. I also use an aquarian patch on the sk1 just in case as I have broke a couple single plys in the past but not since I started using their patch.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I have the sk1 and ported regulator on mine and no extra muffling, its big and fat sounding but not boomy. A little fuller sounding with a bit more focused attack than the sk2 imo but id say resonance wise they are about the same. I also use an aquarian patch on the sk1 just in case as I have broke a couple single plys in the past but not since I started using their patch.
I have an Evans one on my SK2 so I'd use a patch anyway. Definitely sounds like something worth trying, especially since the SK2 didn't sound nearly as good from behind the kit the last time I gigged with it (sounds awesome in practice though). Only thing I'd have to do would be to find some way to get the Regulator and still be able to have the Tama logo.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have an Evans one on my SK2 so I'd use a patch anyway. Definitely sounds like something worth trying, especially since the SK2 didn't sound nearly as good from behind the kit the last time I gigged with it (sounds awesome in practice though). Only thing I'd have to do would be to find some way to get the Regulator and still be able to have the Tama logo.
Should be able to get a tama logo decal from a sign shop or check e bay, BTW I have seen music123 on ebay sell the sk1 and regulator with a double patch as a package for $62 with free shipping in the USA.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

You can find bass drum logo decals many places. I'm using an Aquarian Regulator on my 70s Ludwigs and found a silver Ludwig decal and I put it on the bottom of the head instead of the top...looks cool and different.

As for your snare head: I mostly use a Hi Energy on snares, but you probably wouldn't like it. It lasts years.

Try the Hi Velocity head. It's coated 2-plys of 7mil each and an underside dot (unlike Studio X which has a dot on top), so it's durable, but isn't as dry as the Studio X.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
Try the Hi Velocity head. It's coated 2-plys of 7mil each and an underside dot (unlike Studio X which has a dot on top), so it's durable, but isn't as dry as the Studio X.
The coated studio x had the dot on the underside, just the clear studio x have it on top. I personally use the coated studio x on my snares and really dont find it dry at all and use a studio ring when I need a dry sound but i do find all 2 plys to be so dry they seem to sound choked imo.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
You can find bass drum logo decals many places. I'm using an Aquarian Regulator on my 70s Ludwigs and found a silver Ludwig decal and I put it on the bottom of the head instead of the top...looks cool and different.

As for your snare head: I mostly use a Hi Energy on snares, but you probably wouldn't like it. It lasts years.

I do like to play brushes so no top dot for me. The Coated Studio X's with the dot have it on the bottom as well, the clear ones have it on top.

Another question though. My snare has 12 strand wires, would using a pre muffled head dry the drum out too much?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I do like to play brushes so no top dot for me. The Coated Studio X's with the dot have it on the bottom as well, the clear ones have it on top.

Another question though. My snare has 12 strand wires, would using a pre muffled head dry the drum out too much?
If it's a 14" snare, I'd bump up to 20-strand. That's just me. None of the Aquarian heads are really 'dry' like some of Evans or Remo's options. I don't think any of them (save that new 3-ply, 21mil head) will dry out your snare that much.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
If it's a 14" snare, I'd bump up to 20-strand. That's just me. None of the Aquarian heads are really 'dry' like some of Evans or Remo's options. I don't think any of them (save that new 3-ply, 21mil head) will dry out your snare that much.
It came with 20-strand, I switched to 12 thinking it would cut down on the buzz and the only time it did was when I had Pinstripes on my toms and tuned them a little higher. That snare is going to become my secondary snare in a couple months anyway since I hope to be getting one of Tama's brass snares- Kenny Aronoff, Stewart Copeland or Starclassic, which all come with 20 and I won't mess with them. Which may also mean a different head besides any of the ones I inquired about.