DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Rim shot detuning. How to prevent it?

I'll keep it short. I play a ton of Rim shots and my snare keeps detuning near the rimshot zone. Is there any way I can prevent (or at least minimize the effect of) this?

It's pronounced "Dee-Scrape-Ruh".

Proud owner of a Ludwig Acrolite
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Rim shot detuning. How to prevent it?

You could try some lug locks? Look them up - they're little square plastic things that go over the tension rod and against the rim, thus stopping the tension rod unscrewing.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Is your snare tuned low? I have this problem every time I tune my drums down. I figure it makes more "wiggle room" for the tension rod to come undone when you, essentially, push the rim down for a split second with a rim shot.

+1 Lug locks work great!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

My vote goes to Tightscrews. They're cheap, they don't change the appearance of the drum, & they work. The tuning feel takes a bit of getting used to however. Once you're over that, you're good to go.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

There are a few things on the market to cure this problem, personally I like the index tension rods from rhythm tech the best but here is a list of all of the solutions on the market that I have found so far.

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/acc_pages/it.php
http://tightscrew.com/
http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/lockerzX.html
http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm
http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/other...ght/index.html

Last edited by tard; 02-28-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Thank you guys so much! I think I'm gonna get some of the Lockerz.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Just curious if they're all guaranteed to never come loose, or if some work better than others?

I tune lower so loosening rods has always been a nightmare for me, makes me want to get a modern day Sonor kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

I had this problem too, one stupid little lug right in the rim shot zone that detunes all the time. My solution - turn the snare so the snare strainer is facing your crotch, and the snare has been fine ever since. Maybe the rimshot lug get's weaker over time, but the snare has been detuning evenly like it should be since I turned the snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I tune lower so loosening rods has always been a nightmare for me, makes me want to get a modern day Sonor kit.
I play a sonor 3007, with the tune safe lugs. Ironic huh?

Last edited by Sjogras; 02-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netz Ausg View Post
You could try some lug locks? Look them up - they're little square plastic things that go over the tension rod and against the rim, thus stopping the tension rod unscrewing.
Yeah, I was doing some rim clicks and then one day I reached down to find out one of the lugs under the striking area was totally loose.

I went with these so I could still feel the tightness of the lug while tuning, since I'm still perfecting my tuning.

If you go with these, order the ones from luglock.com. I've bought some no-name ones from the local drum shop and they didn't fit as tight - which is the principle that freezes the lug.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE View Post
Thank you guys so much! I think I'm gonna get some of the Lockerz.
I have Lockerz on my snare for the same reason. They work great for keeping the drum in tune, but be aware of the fact that you can only tune the drum in quarter turns when using them. If you're a drummer who constantly finetunes in search of that perfect sound, the Lockerz may prove very annoying.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I have Lockerz on my snare for the same reason. They work great for keeping the drum in tune, but be aware of the fact that you can only tune the drum in quarter turns when using them. If you're a drummer who constantly finetunes in search of that perfect sound, the Lockerz may prove very annoying.
Considering that I barely even consider what I do to my drums "tuning", I'm not that worried about it. Thanks for the heads up though!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
My vote goes to Tightscrews. They're cheap, they don't change the appearance of the drum, & they work. The tuning feel takes a bit of getting used to however. Once you're over that, you're good to go.
Been using these since 2006. I have my whole set fitted with them - 76 Tightscrews total. Nothing compares. They never, ever loosen. The only retuning you need to due is because of shell expansion/contraction and head stretching. The tuning bolts just don't budge.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

I've tried a couple products on the market without much success, but I found what I think to be the best and cheapest solution:

Go to the hardware store and buy 12-24 nuts in stainless steel. Thread them on to your rods and then once your snare is tuned to your liking, tighten the nuts down against the lugs. That locks them in place and the problem is absolutely solved. You can smash all day everyday and they never go anywhere. You can punch into a recording long after the fact and the drum will still sound exactly like it did the first time.

If you want to change the tuning, with a drum key loosen the lug and it unlocks the nut. Re-tune and go if you're in a hurry, or ideally re-lock. You can keep a light weight little wrench in your stickbag for this purpose.

It's functionally similar to the "rimshot-lock" product that's newly out, but I like my solution better since it'll allows the rim to flex down under the shot (and they're dirt cheap).

You can actually see these on my new book cover. If you look closely the main snare and little 10" snare both have all the lugs locked down.
billbachman.net
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM

I came across the best thing since sliced bread. They're called Rimshot Locs. A friend of mine gave me there website and I ordered some for my Ludwig snare. I've tried all the other locks before, but I don't ever have to tune my snare anymore except when I need a new batter head. The concept is so simple, but they really work. I think these guys have a winner.
F Johnson
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
I've tried a couple products on the market without much success, but I found what I think to be the best and cheapest solution:

Go to the hardware store and buy 12-24 nuts in stainless steel. Thread them on to your rods and then once your snare is tuned to your liking, tighten the nuts down against the lugs. That locks them in place and the problem is absolutely solved. You can smash all day everyday and they never go anywhere. You can punch into a recording long after the fact and the drum will still sound exactly like it did the first time.

If you want to change the tuning, with a drum key loosen the lug and it unlocks the nut. Re-tune and go if you're in a hurry, or ideally re-lock. You can keep a light weight little wrench in your stickbag for this purpose.

It's functionally similar to the "rimshot-lock" product that's newly out, but I like my solution better since it'll allows the rim to flex down under the shot (and they're dirt cheap).

You can actually see these on my new book cover. If you look closely the main snare and little 10" snare both have all the lugs locked down.
Totally agree with you Bill!

I tracked down some 5mm nuts to go onto my DW Collectors kit ("true-pitch threads"). I tightened them down against the lugs, but I wanted more reassurance so I added a second nut to tighten against the rim (like product below). Luckily for me, the DW tension rods have threading the whole length of the rod so I can add the second nut against the rim. Like you said - cheap @ .99c for 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjohnson View Post
I came across the best thing since sliced bread. They're called Rimshot Locs. A friend of mine gave me there website and I ordered some for my Ludwig snare. I've tried all the other locks before, but I don't ever have to tune my snare anymore except when I need a new batter head. The concept is so simple, but they really work. I think these guys have a winner.
F Johnson
These are cool (although more expensive then my .99c nuts!) I like these because you lock them AGAINST THE RIM. That prevents the tension rod from turning counter clockwise. I'm gonna grab these for my Tama Artwood and Copeland snares.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Tension rod locks as others have posted here's a pic of Ian Paice's sig. snare cool idea

Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Do you guys think these nuts / devices are most effective tightened against the rim or against the lug?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Do you guys think these nuts / devices are most effective tightened against the rim or against the lug?
I think you would only be able to tighten against the lug because most tension rods have a shoulder where the threads stop and you would not be able to tighten them to the rim. Or you could try one of theses products I posted links to earlier. My personal preference is the Index tension rods from Rhythm Tech, I have them on my snares and they work like they say they do without any effect on tuning.

http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/acc_pages/it.php
http://tightscrew.com/
http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/lockerzX.html
http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm
http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/other...ght/index.html

Last edited by tard; 03-01-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 AM

Don't Rim Shot.............................................. or check out some lug locks.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

I was thinking against the rim would be best. This would lock it from turning counter clockwise.

True that most threads stop about 1 1/4 inches below the rim so that makes it tricky.

I am cutting some sleeves to size that I could back into the rims using a nut. They are the size of a straw and will surround the tension rod and press against the rim with a nut.

I tried the lug locks. Mine were not wide enough and wouldn't fit tight against the rim. Waste of $$. I also do rim clicks that defiinitely detune lugs.

Last edited by BigDinSD; 02-29-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

tard, thanks for the info (I put approx prices to fit a ten lug drum (batter head only)). Actual mileage will vary. NOTE: I don't rim shot too much, but like to do the rim clicks during breakdowns.

and Bill - Thanks for the great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post

So I picked up a 100 piece bag of these nuts for $6.

My only question is, at this price and for what they do - WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE DO THIS?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

The locks should go against the lug not the rim.

A picture is worth a 1000 words..lol

Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
The locks should go against the lug not the rim.

A picture is worth a 1000 words..lol

Bonzolead
Thank you sir! Hella lot easier to mount against the lugs since most threads don't run the whole length of tension rod.

Awesome pic! Love Deep Purple growing up man!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you sir! Hella lot easier to mount against the lugs since most threads don't run the whole length of tension rod.

Awesome pic! Love Deep Purple growing up man!
you think Ian could've smiled though..he looks very tired

now I want to get a set..lol

Bonzolead
Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Totally agree with you Bill!

I tracked down some 5mm nuts to go onto my DW Collectors kit ("true-pitch threads"). I tightened them down against the lugs, but I wanted more reassurance so I added a second nut to tighten against the rim (like product below). Luckily for me, the DW tension rods have threading the whole length of the rod so I can add the second nut against the rim. Like you said - cheap @ .99c for 10!

These are cool (although more expensive then my .99c nuts!) I like these because you lock them AGAINST THE RIM. That prevents the tension rod from turning counter clockwise. I'm gonna grab these for my Tama Artwood and Copeland snares.
What I like about Rimshot Locs is they unify the hardware and allow for all the strike energy to go straight into the chamber of the drum, keeping a consistent tone and pitch. When you think about it, for the cost we put into our drum kits themselves, these things are cheap for what they do, and how they look. You can barely see them on my kit.