DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Default Pulling apart a Tama hi hat stand

I have a Tama Roadpro Hi-hat Stand (HH75WN)

Its parts are shown in this diagram:
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/part...ge/HH75WN.html

I want to know how to remove the chain assembly from the lower pull rod.

I also want to know how to remove the lower pull rod and spring assembly from the hi hat stand.

I have been using an adjustable wrench to try to loosen the chain assembly but the lower pull rod keeps turning (instead of staying still) and so I have no leverage to turn any nut.

BTW I was baffled trying to find out how the lower pull rod and spring assembly would actually be installed in the first place.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pulling apart a Tama hi hat stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
I have a Tama Roadpro Hi-hat Stand (HH75WN)

Its parts are shown in this diagram:
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/part...ge/HH75WN.html

I want to know how to remove the chain assembly from the lower pull rod.

I also want to know how to remove the lower pull rod and spring assembly from the hi hat stand.

I have been using an adjustable wrench to try to loosen the chain assembly but the lower pull rod keeps turning (instead of staying still) and so I have no leverage to turn any nut.

BTW I was baffled trying to find out how the lower pull rod and spring assembly would actually be installed in the first place.
I used this exact same stand for 20 years and it is a good piece of hardware.

You will need to get some basic tools. A bench top vise will be necessary to hold the pull rod still while you loosen the rest of the mechanism. Don't use adjustable wrenches because they will change size and strip nuts. Get a decent set of box end and open end wrenches. You can get this stuff cheap on Craigslist or Harbor Freight tools and these tools will be useful for all kinds of things.

Why do you need to remove the chain assembly? Really, there is no reason to take it completely apart. Occasional disassembly will be needed for cleaning but it sounds like you are trying to take apart things that don't need to be taken apart unless broken.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I used this exact same stand for 20 years and it is a good piece of hardware.
Great piece of hardware. I like how I can unscrew to upper pull rod and conceal it in the tube for transport - avoids damage.

Quote:
You will need to get some basic tools. A bench top vise will be necessary to hold the pull rod still while you loosen the rest of the mechanism. Don't use adjustable wrenches because they will change size and strip nuts. Get a decent set of box end and open end wrenches. You can get this stuff cheap on Craigslist or Harbor Freight tools and these tools will be useful for all kinds of things.
Thanks. I realized I could not do anything with the simple tools I was using.

Quote:
Why do you need to remove the chain assembly? Really, there is no reason to take it completely apart. Occasional disassembly will be needed for cleaning but it sounds like you are trying to take apart things that don't need to be taken apart unless broken.
I was trying to see if putting a small spring over the chain assembly (surrounding the bottom section of the pull rod) could slow down the closing motion of the hi-hat to the point where it will not "clunk" if I open the hi-hat. It seems that at the moment, the rubber ring above the chain assembly does no dampen enough to stop that "clunk".
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Great piece of hardware. I like how I can unscrew to upper pull rod and conceal it in the tube for transport - avoids damage.

Thanks. I realized I could not do anything with the simple tools I was using.

I was trying to see if putting a small spring over the chain assembly (surrounding the bottom section of the pull rod) could slow down the closing motion of the hi-hat to the point where it will not "clunk" if I open the hi-hat. It seems that at the moment, the rubber ring above the chain assembly does no dampen enough to stop that "clunk".
I had this stand for many years and it never occurred to me to keep the pull rod in the stand. I wish I had thought of that because I went through a number of rods due to bending over the years. Great idea.

There should be some way to adjust the tension of the spring that keeps the pull rod up. Maybe a knurled threaded washer. Look for that.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I know the clunk you speak of, it happens on other hihats stands. You can get a spring, or similar purpose device, on the chain by winding it on by hand, without removing the entire chain assembly. A spring is basically a coiled wire. You start at one end of the spring, where it opens up, and wind slowly coil by coil until all the coil is wound on. You may have to deform the spring a bit, and in end might not look the same, but it should wind on. Only a few coils of a decent sized/gauged spring need be wound on to do the job.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I know the clunk you speak of, it happens on other hihats stands. You can get a spring, or similar purpose device, on the chain by winding it on by hand, without removing the entire chain assembly. A spring is basically a coiled wire. You start at one end of the spring, where it opens up, and wind slowly coil by coil until all the coil is wound on. You may have to deform the spring a bit, and in end might not look the same, but it should wind on. Only a few coils of a decent sized/gauged spring need be wound on to do the job.
Thanks. I had thought about coiling on a spring it but could not find a spring that I could coil onto the hi-hat (atleast with any ease).

I know the hi-hat came with spurs with springs looped around them, those springs are the right width but I may have to manipulate one of those springs more (like with pliers) to open it up far enough.

Quote:
There should be some way to adjust the tension of the spring that keeps the pull rod up. Maybe a knurled threaded washer. Look for that.
There is a notched wheel I can turn to adjust spring tension but even on the lowest setting that annoying clunk still happens.