DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 AM

Default Tama Single pedal Speed Cobra

Hi. I have an Tama Imperial Star drum set. I am trying to figure out how much tension should the spring on my kick have? I play fast punk rock beats, even blast beats like metal. I am just trying to find the best out of the kick since I just purchased it. The Speed Cobra is great so far. I had to make some adjustments. Thanks...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Tama Single pedal Speed Cobra

Congratz on the new pedal, youl love it! Give yourself time to get used to the longboards though. For what you described, I would suggest a higher tension. Personally I like a lower footboard, I have mine set as low as possible and the cobra coil set to minimum, the beaters almost all the way up (about a quarter inch left at the bottom) and I get a super responsive, powerfull feel.
Some heads up about the pedal
The cobra coils get bashed on alot because they sucked on the iron cobras, on the speed cobras I find they increase responsitivity greatly while only increasing resistance slightly, so don't knock em until you try em
Mess around with the footbard height. I like mine low, my friend likes his high.
The pedal can be perfect, but it takes fidgeting, took me 6 months to dial my perfect setting in, so don't give up
Don't use the point on the felt beater, you won't have a beater in a week, rotate it so the flat side smacks the drum
Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Gold Member

most "extreme metal" guys use maxed out spring tension, however this can lead to broken springs if you put the springs under too much stress....
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM

[quote]most "extreme metal" guys use maxed out spring tension, however this can lead to broken springs if you put the springs under too much stress.... [/QUOTE

No offense, but i have never broken a spring on any of the pedals I have used or use, and the Iron/Speed Cobras are "notorious" for breaking springs. I have a friend who has drummed for well over 30 years that has never broke one, and my teacher has never broken one in his 20 some years of drumming either. Plus, you can always pick a new one up for like 2 dollars at your neighborhood Lowes, Home Depot, ect.

But the metal guys (like myself) tend to use the tighter spring tension. It gives more response, you can always compensate for the minute extra effort needed to push the pedal.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Gold Member

i have never broken a spring either, and i use just below maxed out tension... i think these people break their springs because they bury their beaters which causes a lot of tension on the springs joints.....
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM

I dont "bury" the beater but i come pretty close. I wouldn't worry about the springs unless you are gigging, in which case buy a backup just in case