DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 AM

Default Cheap headphone?

Hmm so like my VF stereo headphone broke so now i'm in need of a new isolation headphone/earphone. I'd like to go cheap, like under 80$. I just need be able to listen to the music anquality as long as it doesn't sound worse than my 10$ earphones. Besides, i dont think my ipod has very good sound quality anyways. Uhm Yeah please don't suggest me VF, or anything expensive. I really hate VF headphones. uhm idk if i should get headphone or earphones. HEadphones just look more professional, but they're usually either 2 tight or dont isolate well. Earphones well i heard that they only last like 2-3 years. SO help me guys. 80$ or less pls
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Cheap headphone?

I have been using the same shure in ears for over 10 years now, they have the foams that you squeeze and then they swell up in your ear, they isolate well, and stay put, plus can be used with an in ear monitor system as well. Shure has several different models and I saw in another thread that a decent pair can be had for about $60, but at least go with a set of "in ears" as headphones are fine for home and studio but nothing looks as bad live as a drummer wearing headphones (IMO) plus they can be hard to keep in place as well.

Last edited by tard; 01-25-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

CAD MH310 ($49 - $69)

closed back - excellent isolation - extended bass response
clear mids and highs
tight fit.

Superlux HD680 ($49-$69)

AKG 240's for half the price basically

semi open circumaural - flat reponse that is pleasing
these are great cans and they are super comfortable.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 AM

Well what arre some shure products that you'd recommend. I heard that klipsch s4 and etymotics er-6 are good. Do u have any opinion on those?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Gold Member

I have a set of e1c's and a set of scl3's and like the quality of both, and they both use the yellow foams. the price of these is above what your looking for but something may be found used and a wipe with alcohol and some new foams would be necessary, I know shure has some cheaper models but I have not used them and cannot tell you what the sound quality would be.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB

http://www.amazon.com/CAD-Audio-DH10...7543212&sr=1-1

or the vic firth s1h1. give the CAD drummer phones a try. they are also sensitive so they should run fine on a portable device

if you dont need isolation give the superlux hd681 a try like spectron suggested. it is the same headphone as the k240, which i use when moinitoring/mixing without the need of isolation. they are also decently sensitive and should run fine on a portable device
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

I've got a couple pairs of Shure SE115 earphones and they're great. As tard says, the foam tips isolate sound quite well. And the sound quality is quite good. Amazon has pink ones for $65, clear ones for $80, and some other colors at higher prices. But it looks like you can find better prices on eBay or if you use google.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Call customer service and they will give you a R#, you have to pay for shipping, but they will give you a new pair and (hopefully) give you sticks of your choice to cover for the postage.*

*I was not given sticks even though the rep mentioned it.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 AM

sadly se 115 isn't available anymore. I was gonna go with the hd 280 pro until I heard some people said it doesn't have enough isolation. but if it isolates as much as shure 840, i'm fine w/ it. And yeah I really don't want anything to do w/ VF headphones anymore so i'm guessing its either HD 280 pro or klipsch s4.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Can you come up with $99 for a pair of these? I use the SE315's at Disney, but these work just as good too. If you're worried about longevity and durability - remember, the part that sticks in your ear can be replaced. How they sound over time is determined by how hard you're hitting them with your sound source. If you never kill them, they won't die. If they're in your ears, you won't overdrive unless you want to go deaf.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE215/
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM

What works like a charm for me?

You go to Wal-mart and pick-up a pair of ear mufflers from the gun section. The kind that are meant to protect anywhere from 20-30 decibels. $15.

Next, you grab some old head-phones and remove the little speakers from the casing.

Then you insert the speakers under the foam pad inside the gun ear mufflers. If you want to you can even slice a little gap into the padding that surrounds the mufflers and cover it up with some electrical tape, so that the cord fits snug but it never bothers me.

An extension cord is a must as standard headphones usually only have 4 feet available.

Ear buds work well inside the gun mufflers too!

Cheers,
Anastasios
To whoever stole my cymbal bag from the 9:30 club on Nov.20th, 2001..... Give it back!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Superlux HD-661. About US$50. Looks suspiciously like a Sony MDR-7506. Nice sound, great value, stellar reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577979/revi...x-did-it-again
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
Superlux HD-661. About US$50. Looks suspiciously like a Sony MDR-7506. Nice sound, great value, stellar reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577979/revi...x-did-it-again
althought i dont doubt it is a great headphone, i dont think it would isolate enough for tracking drums
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM

^ Well ... go with the Senn HD280Pro. I have them, and the isolation is more than enough for tracking drums. And the replacement pads are readily available and user-replaceable. Mine are 5 years old, and sweaty me has replaced the pads 3 times already. Good as new. It sounds strange at first, because there seems to be a hole in the upper bass region. But it recovers in the mid-bass then extends smoothly until waaaaaaaaay below 40Hz.

Last edited by makinao; 01-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline183 View Post
sadly se 115 isn't available anymore. I was gonna go with the hd 280 pro until I heard some people said it doesn't have enough isolation. but if it isolates as much as shure 840, i'm fine w/ it. And yeah I really don't want anything to do w/ VF headphones anymore so i'm guessing its either HD 280 pro or klipsch s4.
no in ear mointor is going to isolate enough, besides the shures. i had a klipsch s2 and it didnt work, i doubt an s4 will.

the 280pro isolate better than the vic firth s1h1 imo.

try out the cad drumming phones, theyre designed for high noise enviornments and cheap enough to replace.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixnMatch View Post
What works like a charm for me?

You go to Wal-mart and pick-up a pair of ear mufflers from the gun section. The kind that are meant to protect anywhere from 20-30 decibels. $15.

Next, you grab some old head-phones and remove the little speakers from the casing.

Then you insert the speakers under the foam pad inside the gun ear mufflers. If you want to you can even slice a little gap into the padding that surrounds the mufflers and cover it up with some electrical tape, so that the cord fits snug but it never bothers me.

An extension cord is a must as standard headphones usually only have 4 feet available.

Ear buds work well inside the gun mufflers too!

Cheers,
Anastasios
The Vic Firth earmuffs and headphones are made by Peltor which is the the same company that makes most of the shooter hearing protectors as well
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

The pink sure se115's are available for $40 all day long. I paid 35 shipped for mine new.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
The Vic Firth earmuffs and headphones are made by Peltor which is the the same company that makes most of the shooter hearing protectors as well

Thanks for the tidbit and reinforces why I'm so pleased with my make-shift-jerry-rigged headpnones. All for about $20. ;-)
To whoever stole my cymbal bag from the 9:30 club on Nov.20th, 2001..... Give it back!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I have been using the same shure in ears for over 10 years now, they have the foams that you squeeze and then they swell up in your ear, they isolate well, and stay put, plus can be used with an in ear monitor system as well. Shure has several different models and I saw in another thread that a decent pair can be had for about $60, but at least go with a set of "in ears" as headphones are fine for home and studio but nothing looks as bad live as a drummer wearing headphones (IMO) plus they can be hard to keep in place as well.
Using earmuffs sound tempting. But does it get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of tracking and will i be able to hear my drums? I was gonna buy shure se215 but it is a bit over my budget and I don't really need the sound quality that it offers.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline183 View Post
Using earmuffs sound tempting. But does it get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of tracking and will i be able to hear my drums? I was gonna buy shure se215 but it is a bit over my budget and I don't really need the sound quality that it offers.
I dont use earmuffs or headphones, only my shure in ears, when practicing i use both ear buds and can still hear my drums enough, when live I only use 1 in ear to hear my monitor mix and leave the other out to hear the stage sound as well as to be able to hear my band mates if they talk to me.