DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Default Spaun Drums?

I had a quick flick through and i didn't see any posts about the Spaun Drum Company, so forgive me if its been posted before...

While trolling online i decided to look up my favourite band, Misfits, and their old drummer - the Abominable Dr Chud. I came across the maker of his drums, a company which I've never heard until before, Spaun Drums.

after aaaages of gorping at many amazing looking/sounding kits, i wondered... have any of you guys got a kit made by Spaun? ...or has anyone even heard of them?

also, what's going on with the price of them?!?! its 3k for a 3pc kit! :|i could get a pro 8pc, skins, a load of cymbals and some custom sticks for all that!
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Spaun Drums?

One of the best custom companies around. Amazing drums!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheLad View Post
I had a quick flick through and i didn't see any posts about the Spaun Drum Company, so forgive me if its been posted before...

While trolling online i decided to look up my favourite band, Misfits, and their old drummer - the Abominable Dr Chud. I came across the maker of his drums, a company which I've never heard until before, Spaun Drums.

after aaaages of gorping at many amazing looking/sounding kits, i wondered... have any of you guys got a kit made by Spaun? ...or has anyone even heard of them?

also, what's going on with the price of them?!?! its 3k for a 3pc kit! :|i could get a pro 8pc, skins, a load of cymbals and some custom sticks for all that!
I have a Spaun maple custom in 8", 10", 12", 14", & 20" sizes. I also have a 13" Spaun maple stave snare to go with it, although I use that snare as a standby for my "go to" Guru Drumworks gigging snare. I've gigged extensively with this kit, & it's right up there with other high end offerings from other makers using ply shells. The shells are Keller (just like many other makers), but Spaun do a superb job of finishing & furnishing them. Spaun lugs are really very good too.

As for the price, the list price is high, but you can pick them up for much less. As a minor point of interest, I'm selling my set in a few months time, & for a very low price too. The only reason I'm selling them is they'll be replaced by our latest series drums. I used Spaun before I became involved with Guru Drumworks, but it's no longer acceptable for me to play Spaun live. They really are very very good drums.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM

oh okay then, i didn't think of looking for second hand ones lol.. i noticed you're from Herefordshire - How much are you thinking of selling for? i might have a chance save up for an amazing kit lol ...send me a PM :)

oh, also, what are those snare looking things on the front of the bass drum? I've always wondered this...
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.

Last edited by VladTheLad; 01-20-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Missing Information
Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
oh okay then, i didn't think of looking for second hand ones lol.. i noticed you're from Herefordshire - How much are you thinking of selling for? i might have a chance save up for an amazing kit lol ...send me a PM :)

oh, also, what are those snare looking things on the front of the bass drum? I've always wondered this...
No issues, I'll answer here. I'll be looking for around 1,500 for the five drums c/w suspension & Yamaha tom mounts. No stands, but that will include a full set of padded Humes & Berg hard cases. The Spaun maple stave snare is negotiable, but probably around 300. These prices are all to the right person, as they're well under half the new price. Drums are in superb condition. Finish is natural maple matt lacquer with gold plated lugs.

The funny thing on the front of the bass drum is a Yamaha Subkick mic. I use it at larger gigs to capture the subsonic frequencies from the reso head. Unless you're driving 5K+ subs FOH, don't bother with one.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'll be looking for around 1,500 for the five drums c/w suspension & Yamaha tom mounts. No stands, but that will include a full set of padded Humes & Berg hard cases. The Spaun maple stave snare is negotiable, but probably around 300. These prices are all to the right person, as they're well under half the new price. Drums are in superb condition. Finish is natural maple matt lacquer with gold plated lugs.
Ahh, alright then man. Do you know exactly how long it is til you'll sell it? I'm not sure if ill have that amount of money, though i could save everything i get and see what it comes to.
I'm about to start gigging for my first time, as of tomorrow, and I'm also hoping to be getting a job next week considering I've just redone my CV and whatever, I'm just not sure what the minimum payrate is for my age lol.Oh, and i won't need the snare, the cheaper the better lol, ill just get a 150 one or a used one.

id love to get a beast like this though. If someone else offers, dont hesitate to take it dude, my perfect kit would be 10", 12", 13", 16" (maybe an extra 18") and a 22x20 anyways.

What are the prices on your guru drums? have you got a website?
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

I almost ordered a kit a year or two ago. The price you stated for a three-piece is higher than what I was quoted for a 6-piece. They were very good sounding drums, but in the end, I'm glad I stuck with what I have.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you know exactly how long it is til you'll sell it?

What are the prices on your guru drums? have you got a website?
Probably selling it in the second half of this year. Guru Drumworks site link http://www.gurudrumworks.co.uk/

Our drums are stave, steambent, or segmented construction, and are fairly expensive. Think in terms of Sonor SQ2 prices.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 PM

That snare sounds tempting Andy.

Couldn't justify the purchase of the whole kit though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
That snare sounds tempting Andy.

Couldn't justify the purchase of the whole kit though.
Snare's available anytime, & to you, 250. It really is a lovely 13" stave snare. A lovely maple pop, & a biting crack if you rimshot it. Chrome Spaun lugs & high gloss lacquer finish. Spaun ask around 750 for it in the UK. Frankly, that's too much (Guru version's 150 cheaper, & that's with a Trick strainer too!!). Nevertheless, it's a great drum for less than half it's Andy value :) Again, there's no way I'd be letting it go if it wasn't for my Guru involvement.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Snare's available anytime, & to you, 250. It really is a lovely 13" stave snare. A lovely maple pop, & a biting crack if you rimshot it. Chrome Spaun lugs & high gloss lacquer finish. Spaun ask around 750 for it in the UK. Frankly, that's too much (Guru version's 150 cheaper, & that's with a Trick strainer too!!). Nevertheless, it's a great drum for less than half it's Andy value :) Again, there's no way I'd be letting it go if it wasn't for my Guru involvement.
Sold!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sold!

Ooooo, just remembered, there is a very minor fault (otherwise, it's pretty much mint). It's so long since I played it, I forgot. One of the two screw threads on the strainer butt clamp is all but stripped. It holds fine, & if it came to it, putting a new butt on isn't exactly a big deal.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Careful now or you'll get Larry all excited with your talk of butt straps.

That doesn't sound like a problem to me so still sold.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Careful now or you'll get Larry all excited with your talk of butt straps.

That doesn't sound like a problem to me so still sold.
Haha, yes, good point. I'll send you a PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Ooooo, just remembered, there is a very minor fault (otherwise, it's pretty much mint).
Yes, you just dropped the snare on the ground while visiting the London Eye, nothing much really. ;-))
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I ordered a Spaun Custom kit back in 2002 and have been very happy with the kit. Spaun is basicly just another Keller shell builder but does have a very nice solid brass proprietary lug setting them apart from the other builders using generic tube lugs. Brian Spaun is an amazing painter and comes up with some crazy stuff. Great drums with lousy resale just like all the other custom drums out there. Great deals are out there if you are buying used.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixnergard2 View Post
I ordered a Spaun Custom kit back in 2002 and have been very happy with the kit. Spaun is basicly just another Keller shell builder but does have a very nice solid brass proprietary lug setting them apart from the other builders using generic tube lugs. Brian Spaun is an amazing painter and comes up with some crazy stuff. Great drums with lousy resale just like all the other custom drums out there. Great deals are out there if you are buying used.
Now that is one stunning looking kit! I love the finish, the sizes, the layout, everything actually.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixnergard2 View Post
Yes but what about the stave shelled snare drums? I've just bought one of those from a very dodgy geezer. :-)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes but what about the stave shelled snare drums? I've just bought one of those from a very dodgy geezer. :-)
Hahaha, yes! Don't worry, you're safe, you bought it cheap enough :) Any decent stave snare drum, irrespective of brand. is a snag at that price.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Not 100% sure about the kits, but Spaun also makes production snares. I've seen the coke bottle green vented acrylic flying around pretty cheap, $150 used. Don't know the price or availability in your part of the world, but just keep an eye out.

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

I Have heard and played a spaun bich kit and I thought it was a great sounding /playing kit,I have an Eames birch kit that I love,and the spaun sounded closer to it than anything I have ever heard,I think the main commonality is that both builders have a great skill and passion for what they do,along with using/making the best quality materials they can.
From what I understand uses a keller shell as a canvas,machines great lugs and hardware,puts a great edge on it,and does a great job finishing the shell acoustically and cosmetically.
From what I have seen the spuan kits bring a little more on resale outside the U.S.but the money spent on a spaun new,or esp used is well spent,and if I was going to spend money on a boutique kit spaun would be right at the top of all of them.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM

I purchased a custom Spaun set in 2006. (Depth x Diameter) 6x13 Snare, 10x12 tom, 14x16 floor tom, 20x24 kick.
There's a picture on their site of it. It is an Acrylic/Maple hybrid with Trans-Green Exotic Burl veneer centers, clear acrylic edges and candy purple hardware. I spent $4100 and think it's woth every dime.
Not only does it sound better than any set I've ever played or heard, it is visually stunning and beautiful.

This is a kit I will never get rid of. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm, a lot of praise here for the Spaun Recording Series (birch kits). I've heard some of their birch kits online, and they do sound good.

So, what would you rather have: a Yamaha Recording Custom or a Spaun Recording Series kit?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

@ Robert,I have spent a bit of time on RC's and they are fine kits too,you couldn't go wrong with either,and while all three have that dark birch bite/attack I think the Spaun and Eames kits are a bit warmer,and maybe a little richer sounding,I think my Eames are a little more aggressive sounding than the other two.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natronius View Post
I purchased a custom Spaun set in 2006. (Depth x Diameter) 6x13 Snare, 10x12 tom, 14x16 floor tom, 20x24 kick.
There's a picture on their site of it. It is an Acrylic/Maple hybrid with Trans-Green Exotic Burl veneer centers, clear acrylic edges and candy purple hardware. I spent $4100 and think it's woth every dime.
Not only does it sound better than any set I've ever played or heard, it is visually stunning and beautiful.

This is a kit I will never get rid of. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Unbelievable! Wow.. I've saw that one on the site, i think, when I was sitting there drooling over them all!!! Haha.. I love the Green and Purple, it looks amazing.

So far, I reckon a Custom Kit isn't at the top of my list atm, because I'm currently in the process of saving up for a Custom, Personalised Snare to be made, so that's gonna cost me either 600 or 800, depending on whether I want the Lug/Rim Claws to be actual Claws creeping over the rim or not haha. So maybe sometime in the future, I'll get a Second Hand 5/6pc Spaun Kit :)
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamesuser View Post
I have an Eames birch kit that I love...
What's this 'Eames' everyones on about? Any links, prices or pictures off anyone?
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Unbelievable! Wow.. I've saw that one on the site, i think, when I was sitting there drooling over them all!!! Haha.. I love the Green and Purple, it looks amazing.

So far, I reckon a Custom Kit isn't at the top of my list atm, because I'm currently in the process of saving up for a Custom, Personalised Snare to be made, so that's gonna cost me either 600 or 800, depending on whether I want the Lug/Rim Claws to be actual Claws creeping over the rim or not haha. So maybe sometime in the future, I'll get a Second Hand 5/6pc Spaun Kit :)
Well, to make you drool even more, I have just decided to add an 8x8 and 8x10 matching tom to the set. I am very excted.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM

Here's a crappy pic of the kit. For some reason I don't have very many pictures...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Well, to make you drool even more, I have just decided to add an 8x8 and 8x10 matching tom to the set. I am very excted.
Ohmy.. I wish my 50 Unbranded Kit would spontaneously morph into a Custom Kit :( I was checking the Animal Custom Kits and the cheapest (I think it's LT Series) is around 700... But I'm wanting a 22x20 Bass Drum so it might be considerably more :(
I'm so jealous of all these amazing kits on here, I really wish I had the money, but I can't find a job :/

That kit does look nice, like... Although, I'm not too fond of your setup - looks like there's way too many cymbals on the left side of your kit haha, but 'each to their own' I suppose :)
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Ohmy.. I wish my 50 Unbranded Kit would spontaneously morph into a Custom Kit :( I was checking the Animal Custom Kits and the cheapest (I think it's LT Series) is around 700... But I'm wanting a 22x20 Bass Drum so it might be considerably more :(
I'm so jealous of all these amazing kits on here, I really wish I had the money, but I can't find a job :/

That kit does look nice, like... Although, I'm not too fond of your setup - looks like there's way too many cymbals on the left side of your kit haha, but 'each to their own' I suppose :)
Hah! That was an "experimental" set up with the cymbals, I had a bunch of extra stuff and was seeing how much I could use. That picture is about 2 years old, and I actually don't have ANY of those cymbals anymore...though I wish I did........
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hah! That was an "experimental" set up with the cymbals, I had a bunch of extra stuff and was seeing how much I could use. That picture is about 2 years old, and I actually don't have ANY of those cymbals anymore...though I wish I did........
I wouldn't be able to bring myself to getting rid of all my cymbals haha, Especially my AAX lmao >.<
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM

I'm on Spaun's site right now. Never in my life have I foamed at the mouth over SO many kits/finishes. There's at least 10 on there that I'd punch a nun to get.

The Inferno kits... *drool*
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestorm View Post
I'm on Spaun's site right now. Never in my life have I foamed at the mouth over SO many kits/finishes. There's at least 10 on there that I'd punch a nun to get.

The Inferno kits... *drool*
I told you!!! Haha.. Let's all have a drool-fest! x_x
16" B8 Thin Crash,
18" AAX O-Zone,
20" B8 Ride.