Lol bought my td-20sx a year ago!

I hope it's not much different haha

Videos Here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-30KV/
Welcome to the world of e-drums. :(
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: New TD-30!

Oh my. Looks cool. If the TD20 was $5000 or 5000 what is the TD30 going to cost?

Davo
Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-London View Post
Oh my. Looks cool. If the TD20 was $5000 or 5000 what is the TD30 going to cost?

Davo
And as soon as the 30 comes out, the 20 is pretty much old news to any serious e kit players. It is a never ending cycle. I know. :(
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 AM

I really could never get into the e-kits..I need the boom!

I have neighbor/sound issues, like most. But I would take just a set of pedals and a drum pad over an e-kit.

Just my 2c, glad it works for some!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Administrator

I have a TD-9 for temporary use, for almost a month now (to be returned in a few weeks). Honestly I've sat maybe 3-4 times at that kit, only to learn I have a hard time with those ultra bouncy meshheads. So I'm back practicing on my pads & double pedal & kick practice pad. Unless there's a noticeable improvement in playing feel and more realistic pad bounce I'm definitely not in the market for an e-kit.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I have a TD-9 for temporary use, for almost a month now (to be returned in a few weeks). Honestly I've sat maybe 3-4 times at that kit, only to learn I have a hard time with those ultra bouncy meshheads. So I'm back practicing on my pads & double pedal & kick practice pad. Unless there's a noticeable improvement in playing feel and more realistic pad bounce I'm definitely not in the market for an e-kit.
Yes I am done with my TD10 and the mesh heads. Time for Roland to come up with something new. The new Yamaha heads are better feeling. Too much bounce on the mesh. They are quite though. People say they use them for practice, but it is only good if you are going to play the e kit out. Practicing on an e-kit for playing your acoustic, is not very good. They are just too different in feel.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

The interesting thing I noticed about the TD-30 is it has a digital out and USB ports, as well as Midi and numerous audio outs.

Also the inputs are placed all in one row, seperate from in the outputs, which makes much more sense.

DSCN1421 by drumeatdrum, on Flickr

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 01-24-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Whats this one going to cost? 15,000AUD?

Get the 2box
Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM

According to one site I saw the top model (the TD30KV or what ever) has an MSRP of 9000 USD. But I've also heard they might be as much as 12,000 USD. Either way it's to expensive.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaddrummer95 View Post
According to one site I saw the top model (the TD30KV or what ever) has an MSRP of 9000 USD. But I've also heard they might be as much as 12,000 USD. Either way it's to expensive.
Man, that's some expensive plastic!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Man, that's some expensive plastic!
The very sad part is in 4 years it will be worth maybe 1500.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

I have a set of electronic pads I like - Yamaha DTX multi 12. I have bass and hi-hat pedals for it, so it makes a good decent sounding, quiet practice tool.

I would never spend a lot of money on an e-kit though. If you take good care of it, an acoustic kit will still be useable and maybe worth something in 30, 40, or 50 years.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

TD-30K = $4,499 (USD):

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx...mid=447&lbs=70

TD-30KV = $7,499 (USD):

Not sure what the differences are that makes the KV $3,000 more than the K version.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 AM

You were looking at the discount price. I was talking MSRP.

TD30K MSRP: $5300 USD

TD30KV MSRP: $9000 USD

I think the big difference is the KV has the new updated pads, plus an extra floor tom.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
TD-30K = $4,499 (USD):

TD-30KV = $7,499 (USD):

Not sure what the differences are that makes the KV $3,000 more than the K version.
So it's like $500 more than the TD-20SX. At least I've got mine with a half of PM-30 amp. But still thought it was gonna last me longer before a new model came out xD. I'm happy with my TD-20SX specially with heaphones and the Mix-In input. Can Play Non Stop!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

4k for that, unbelievable!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

i wont be upgrading my TD-20 anytime soon.

i dont want to play a TD-30, then i will know what i am missing ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 AM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
4k for that, unbelievable!
4k would be an incredible price tag for that thing indeed. That would be way less than the TD20, at least in Germany. I cannot believe this right now though, I think that it will much more likely be around 6k or more around here. 4k would be a deal of the century kind of thing.

BTW I think it's kind of funny: electronic drumkits are more and more made to resemble a real drumkit in ever nuance (more or less succesfull) whereas a lot of the "real" percussion instruments are made to resemble electronic sounds. Especially cymbals.... all this "Generation X" stuff by Meinl for example. Cymbals sounding like white noise and all of that.

To me, this is really strange :)
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 AM
SickRick

Just saw the first price tag in Germany: 7000 Euros which equals about 9250 USD.

This is about the same as the TD 20 was when it came out, so no surprise there. I still believe it is a good deal for some pros who are often playing in environments where an accoustic drumset is either too loud or too much hassle of getting a good sound. Most buyers will be pros who write it off taxes anyway.

I know and have played with some bands that play a lot of cover music at weddings who bought TD 20s for the band. The question for them was: Drumset + Mics + (big) mixing console + a guy who can handle the mixing console + Brides complaining about the volume on each gig or Roland TD20 - for these types of bands this is just perfect. It is also great if you play a lot of electronic music or need different drumsounds on one gig (which lots of cover bands do need).

If you're buying it as a hobby drummer, you're either rich or really enthusiastic about electronic drums :)

As a sidenote: I do know two hobbyist photographers who have pre-ordered the new Nikon D4 for around 6000 Euros, so yes: There always seem to be some real enthusiastic people running around that keep the economy going so to speak.

I guess the kits targeted at non pro customers are the TD9 and below.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I know the hardware is top-notch and stuff but I think they need to rethink their whole plan. Drumit5 and Alesis dm10 pro really are showing roland up for the con artists they are. Not to mention just how cheap and easy these pads are to make.
I think the drumit 5 and alesis dm10 actually sound better. more realistic.
Td20 sounds like a td20 and for that money you shouldn't be able to tell. I think a carefully played alesis has more chance fooling a listener than the roland stuff. Plus if you can usb both of them and use superior drummer then what exactly does the roland have to offer the acoustic drummer?
Probably great for pop and drum n bass etc

What do you think?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM

The thing I've noticed is, that we musicians, have a mindset in which we "see what we pay for"... GEAR, HARDWARE... how much it costs to make... but with electronics, it's not the GEAR per se we're paying for... it's the software, the technology... it costs a lot to develop... with acoustics, heck, YOU PAY for the materials and the craftsmanship... that's it.

Be it as it may, yes, it could be cheaper... but I guess that's why they develop the segments.

RMANDLEBAUM, I tried the TD-30... honestly if you already have a TD 20 I see very little justification to drop the TD-20 and going for it... they are very similar.

Also it's a rather cumbersome thing... takes almost as much space as an acoustic kit... it is a professional instrument all the way.... tailored for customization of very specific needs... and honestly, I believe it's where drums are going... in a few years MANY more live gigs will be played on systems like those... if you're luckyu enough to have one as a serious top level professional it's a heck of a tool!

Last edited by Guillermo; 04-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 AM

Mesh heads are awful. I am so glad I sold my TD20 and went with the new Yamaha silicon pads. The feel so much better. The tennis racquet bounce really screws up you your chops. The mesh kick can screw up your pedal technique too. The TD30 is ridiculously expensive. There are a lot of guys going goo-goo ga-ga over the "new" sounds of the TD30 over on vdrums.com. I think it still sounds horrible compared to triggering Superior Drummer. If people want to drop 7k for more of the same from Roland, then by all means have at it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 AM

Just ordered the Roland TD-30 KVS. It cost $6,800.
The kit is very versatile. I can play to any music at any time day or night without my neighbors even hearing me.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM
audiotech

I just had the opportunity to play the Roland TD 30KV this afternoon, what a hoot. If I would have had an extra $6500 USD in my pocket, it would have been mine. I did buy another bass drum pedal though, lol.

Dennis
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo View Post
I believe it's where drums are going... in a few years MANY more live gigs will be played on systems like those... if you're luckyu enough to have one as a serious top level professional it's a heck of a tool!
I am now playing more and more gigs with a conga instead of the full kit. The owners of the clubs/ bars/ sewer pits we play at, are calling them acoustic gigs, but really they want to control the volume of the acoustic drum kits.

I too believe that with the improvements to the electronic drum kits like the TD-30, more kits will be electronic in the next few years. Also as in many electronic devices, the cost when they first arrive is much higher than it would be in a few years. I look forward to being able to get that technology at an affordable price.

I hope I am not duplicating this link, that is not my intent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbUWOo16jq0
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM

What annoys me a little bit is that they talk about the TD-30 as if it has more to offer than an acoustic kit. Like the on board keyboard, which is really not an expansion but a drag and an insult to any fan of live music. The kick drum still sounds totally fake like it is made out of plastic, i can hear from a mile that it's not real. The cymbals are a bit better, but they still choke very unnaturally. It still has that hospital sound, that fake clean white paper crap that real drumming has nothing to do with. If you really want to spend some serious money, don't settle for a TD-30 but buy a car, a middle priced acoustic set + some brushes instead!