DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Clamp-on racks

Hi
I recently played a gig on an in-house drumkit where the rack (it was a front rack only for the toms and a few cymbal arms) simply clamped on to the 2 existing cymbal stands they had set up. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these rack systems and where I might be able to get one (and most importantly - if theyre any cheaper)
i hope that description explains it well enough and any info would be great
cheers, tintin
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Clamp-on racks

Yamaha had the Super Rack:

Sometimes popup at ebay.

But you can do this simply and in the wide span you need with any rack bar (gibraltar, pdp, dixons) and a few clamps (at least 2 for clamping to the cymbal stand) and memory locks (the small clamps that keep the big clamps in place)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 PM

out of interest do you need memory locks for all clamps or just the fixed ones? do they usually come with the memory locks or are they bought separately?
cheers!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

@OP: Gibraltar makes a version called the Super Spanner.
http://diy.gibraltarhardware.com/ind...panner-system/

However, all you really need is a rack bar, two multi-clamps to wrap onto your existing cymbals stands, and a couple of memory locks.

As to memory locks: I personally use memory locks on every rack clamp that carries a total load of more than about 10 pounds. Nowadays rack clamp technology is much better, and slippage is much less prevalent, but why take chances? On a spanner bar, I would lock at least the two clamps holding the bar to your cymbal stands; they are experiencing the most torque.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Hi thanks for the info!
obviously these arent as stable as proper racks but do you know if they're prone to toppling or anything like that? (i'll be attaching 3 rack toms and 3 cymbal stands to it) and are there any places to buy clamps/memory locks in bulk? i'm really interested in this idea as i think i could set up an effective rack for the front of my kit for under a hundred pounds which would be awesome.
cheers :)
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

That's a cool Gibraltar gizmo that alparrott suggested. I like it.

To me, its stability would be based on the 2 main cymbal stands you have it secured to. For those you would want some heavy duty, double braced stands. I'm thinking in the grade of the DW9000's, DW5000's. I know there are also some other great HD stands out there. Adding that side extension arm would add stability as well when you secure it to your HH.

Lucky for me I already have my rack toms and cymbals taken care of. Otherwise this thing looks sweet. Plus, you can always remove it later and just use the cymbal stands. I see lots of racks for sale on Craigslist...
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

BigDinSD is correct: The spanner-type system is as sturdy as the stands you use. I once had a spanner-type setup between two Yamaha single-braced cymbal stands supporting three toms (8", 10", 12"), two crashes (16" and 19"), two 8" splashes, and an 18" china - and the bar was about 36-40 inches off the ground. The whole shebang probably weighed in the neighborhood of 120 pounds but was solid as a rock. (I believe I have a photo of it in my profile here on DW.)

As long as the stands are set up level, with a wide enough leg spread (heh heh) and legs spread underneath heavier items, and the bar is set up level, then generally you shouldn't have any stability issues. Tripods are inherently stable, and securing two of them together, when done correctly, makes the whole unit even more stable.