DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Pedals hitting shins

Hey guys, I recently got some PDP DP402 Pedals:


And they are destroying my shins every time I use them, I have adjusted the chain fully and the problem still persists, if anyone knows how to fix this, whether they've used them before or can give a good suggesting please let me know :) Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Naigewron's Avatar
Naigewron Naigewron is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 2,051
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Try adjusting the beater angle so that they're closer to the head. As far as I can see in the picture, it looks like this can be done by sticking an allen key and unscrewing a screw in the mechanism where the spring attaches to the drive shaft. Adjust the beaters, and then tighten it back up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Try adjusting the beater angle so that they're closer to the head. As far as I can see in the picture, it looks like this can be done by sticking an allen key and unscrewing a screw in the mechanism where the spring attaches to the drive shaft. Adjust the beaters, and then tighten it back up.
I was going to try that before, but it's really difficult to get off, I'll just keep trying and let you know how it works out, thanks for the suggestion :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

I tried to adjust them, but they will only go straight up, which is useless as they already hit the bass drum.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

I've never heard of this happening. How long are your beater shafts? Sounds like they are too long and under too much tension.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Here are some pictures of my actual ones, hopefully give enough detail for you.

The chain:


This is how far back it goes:


Side view of main pedal:


Other view of pedals:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,492
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Where do you place your feet on the pedal footboards? All the way up? In the middle? Does your feet loose contact with the footboards after a stroke?
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Where do you place your feet on the pedal footboards? All the way up? In the middle? Does your feet loose contact with the footboards after a stroke?
Well, I usually use my toes, so the back of my feet is generally off of the boards, I've also changed it a bit so that the pedals aren't high up, they're as far down as they can be with out damaging the skin. The footboard, as you can see is about 3/4 way up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,492
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp1401 View Post
Well, I usually use my toes, so the back of my feet is generally off of the boards, I've also changed it a bit so that the pedals aren't high up, they're as far down as they can be with out damaging the skin. The footboard, as you can see is about 3/4 way up.
So you play heel-up, but I think you misunderstood my question, where on the footbaord your toes are positioned when you use the pedal.

If you toes are all the way up the footboard, your shins are nearer the beaters, so when the beaters rebound from the batter heads, it could be the reason why you're hitting your shins.

You could also be seating too near the pedals as well, which can cause the same effect.

When sitting at the kit, your legs should not be less than a 90° angle.

Ideally your legs should have an 100-110° angle with your toes at 2/3 - 3/4 up the footboards.

Also the footboards and beaters angles should be "correctly" adjusted. An almost flat footboard angle with an excessive beater angle will cause the beater to hit your shins.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Drummertist's Avatar
Drummertist Drummertist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 605
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

It seems that many who use the PDP 400 series pedals have the exact same problem.

Here's another thread on the topic. (Different site)

Personally, I would take them back or sell them and get a better pedal. Try Tama's or Yamaha's lower-end pedals.
__________________
DRüMMER+IST
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
It seems that many who use the PDP 400 series pedals have the exact same problem.

Here's another thread on the topic. (Different site)

Personally, I would take them back or sell them and get a better pedal. Try Tama's or Yamaha's lower-end pedals.
I won't be able to take them back as they were off eBay as a birthday present.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
So you play heel-up, but I think you misunderstood my question, where on the footbaord your toes are positioned when you use the pedal.

If you toes are all the way up the footboard, your shins are nearer the beaters, so when the beaters rebound from the batter heads, it could be the reason why you're hitting your shins.

You could also be seating too near the pedals as well, which can cause the same effect.

When sitting at the kit, your legs should not be less than a 90° angle.

Ideally your legs should have an 100-110° angle with your toes at 2/3 - 3/4 up the footboards.

Also the footboards and beaters angles should be "correctly" adjusted. An almost flat footboard angle with an excessive beater angle will cause the beater to hit your shins.
I generally have my feet about half way on the foot board, although occasionally I'll slide them up to 3/4 way up when playing fast, however this doesn't matter if I'm playing fast as they don't bounce back in time.

I generally sit with my legs at about a 100° angle so I don't think that could be the problem, a new problem I have made by adjusting them is that, I fixed the hitting of the shins, but it now hits my feet as I lift them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,492
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp1401 View Post
I fixed the hitting of the shins, but it now hits my feet as I lift them.
"as I lift them" means your lifting your feet/toes off the footboard? You should have your feet/toes in permanent contact with the footboards, to allow control of the rebounds of the beaters.

Check the footbaord angle, the beater angle, the beater height and the spring tension.

A nice "neutral" position would be that when you put your feet/toes on the footboard in a relaxed manner with no pressure on the pedal, the beaters should be sitting at half the total course of the beaters to hit the batter head.

At the end of a stroke you can also rest your heels at the base of the footboards, this will stop all pedal movements and provide welcome little "rests" for your muscles between strokes, obviously you don't do it for repetitive 8th or 16th notes patterns.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
"as I lift them" means your lifting your feet/toes off the footboard? You should have your feet/toes in permanent contact with the footboards, to allow control of the rebounds of the beaters.

Check the footbaord angle, the beater angle, the beater height and the spring tension.

A nice "neutral" position would be that when you put your feet/toes on the footboard in a relaxed manner with no pressure on the pedal, the beaters should be sitting at half the total course of the beaters to hit the batter head.

At the end of a stroke you can also rest your heels at the base of the footboards, this will stop all pedal movements and provide welcome little "rests" for your muscles between strokes, obviously you don't do it for repetitive 8th or 16th notes patterns.
No, I always keep them in contact but as I bring it back up, the beater bounces so much and hits my foot even when I'm still on the foot board. I don't really know much about pedals, I've only ever had one set and I didn't have to adjust them much, I've also only been playing for about half a year, all self taught.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,492
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp1401 View Post
I've only ever had one set and I didn't have to adjust them much, I've also only been playing for about half a year, all self taught.
I see, you should get a teacher, he/she will show you the basic approach to the instruments.

Also you can have a look at Mike Packer's pedal lessons, they're well worth it to understand what's going on with all the settings and movements. Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQqq...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbiw...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2fE...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcNZ6dYNZIA

Hope this helps.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I see, you should get a teacher, he/she will show you the basic approach to the instruments.

Also you can have a look at Mike Packer's pedal lessons, they're well worth it to understand what's going on with all the settings and movements. Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQqq...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbiw...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2fE...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcNZ6dYNZIA

Hope this helps.
Thanks I'll have a look later, I might lower the foot boards with the chains to see if that gives any result too, I haven't tried that yet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 AM
MrLeadFoot MrLeadFoot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 396
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

FWIW, my neighbor has PDPs, and when I played his kit, the same thing happened to me. Since I don't have a vested interest in his pedals, I never really looked to see why that was.

Now that I've seen your pics, it's obvious to me something's wrong, either with the design, or the setup, albeit I suspect you do indeed have them assembled properly. But, look at the angle of the footboard. That's awfully steep. Do a search for DW5000s, for example, and you'll see that your pedals' angles are easily much steeper, as is the beater "throw".

Based on the design, adding links to the chains would lower the footboard angles, yet likely do nothing for the beaters leaning so far back. It almost looks like to me like it's just a poor design, although if they're heavy, the weight of the beater heads could potentially cause the cross-shaft to rotate too far back. It looks like you have the beaters extended all the way out. What happens if you lower the beaters? Does it change that absurd "throw" of the beaters? I suspect not, but it's worth trying.

Also, just because you got them on eBay does not mean you cannot resell them on eBay, and get others, if you can't resolve this issue.
__________________
2011 Mapex Saturn - 8, 10, 12, 14 fl, 16 fl, 22x18
1974 Tama Royalstar - 8,10,12, 13,16 fl, 22x14
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Alexp1401's Avatar
Alexp1401 Alexp1401 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
FWIW, my neighbor has PDPs, and when I played his kit, the same thing happened to me. Since I don't have a vested interest in his pedals, I never really looked to see why that was.

Now that I've seen your pics, it's obvious to me something's wrong, either with the design, or the setup, albeit I suspect you do indeed have them assembled properly. But, look at the angle of the footboard. That's awfully steep. Do a search for DW5000s, for example, and you'll see that your pedals' angles are easily much steeper, as is the beater "throw".

Based on the design, adding links to the chains would lower the footboard angles, yet likely do nothing for the beaters leaning so far back. It almost looks like to me like it's just a poor design, although if they're heavy, the weight of the beater heads could potentially cause the cross-shaft to rotate too far back. It looks like you have the beaters extended all the way out. What happens if you lower the beaters? Does it change that absurd "throw" of the beaters? I suspect not, but it's worth trying.

Also, just because you got them on eBay does not mean you cannot resell them on eBay, and get others, if you can't resolve this issue.

My brother was round yesterday so he had a look at them and he disassembled them and turned them around so that the holders for them are upside down, this makes them a lot higher up, so that they never hit my shins or my feet, and I recommend anyone that has these pedals to do it, although they are incredibly difficult to get off (Broke some of his strongest tools and didn't get them undone), so he noticed a split pin and took that out, then changed it all. Overall they're fixed now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

I was actually about the suggest the same thing. Glad that worked out for you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
willvg willvg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: Pedals hitting shins

okay, you need to shorten the chain by a couple links, there will probably be a small screw at the top of the cam, undo that , shorten the chain and refit. then compensate for that lift in the footboard after you put the chain back on the cam. where the spring connects to the shaft at the top, ther will be a allen key grub screw udo that push the beater forward around 3 " from vertical. whilst holding that spring mount in th same position . hope that helps
cheers wvg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com