DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Cases

Helloo

I've found a band to play with and will start playing gigs this year. I need some cases for my drums and cymbals and I was hoping someone could recommend brands and just share their wisdom on what I'm choosing, why etc.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Cases

SKB, Ive had, hardcase, humes & berg, gator, nomad and both types of protechtor and for the extra money skb is the way to go and slowly have been selling off the others and replacing them with skb, they have a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it 100% and are only a couple dollars more than the other brands.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Hard Cases: SKB http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...dlist.php?c=77, Hardcase http://www.hardcase.com/

Bags. Protection Racket http://www.protectionracket.co.uk/index.asp

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 01-16-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I had the SKB hardcases - those were great. Prior to that I was a big fan of the Humes & Berg Enduro cases (without foam) and am contemplating going back to those as I've found the foam is just extra weight the drum doesn't need.

I would avoid those Gator cases you can find as cheap sets on eBay. The foam lining has been discovered to aid in the corrosion of drum hardware. There are several horror stories floating around on the 'net showing a drum that was stored in one for days (weeks?) and the hardware turning green and damaging the shell.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I have plain old hard cases for my Sonors. They are relatively inexpensive and they do the job. They aren't lined but it hasn't seemed to make a difference over the 18 years I've had them. The drums are in great shape.

I have Ludwig SPS cases for my Ludwigs. These are more expensive but they are really nice. They have a shell kind of like a golf bag and they are lined. I would guess there are lines of cases that are similar if you don't play Ludwigs. You will always have to keep them closed if you have cats. My cats think they are a bed.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Just to clarify, when I said I had some hardcase cases I meant the brand name hardcase...http://www.hardcase.com/

Last edited by tard; 01-16-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

skb it is then.

What about cymbals?

Would you guys be using a bag? Or hardcase with those too?

I read somewhere that the zildjian cymbal vault is the best...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
skb it is then.

What about cymbals?

SKB all the way.

I have most of my spares in a Protection Racket bag....some others in an old Ragone case. But anything that leaves my house does so in the SKB cymbal vault: http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=1&c=77&s=77 (they also offer a 24" version with wheels)

That said, it doesn't fit my 24" ride, so if that leaves the house I keep it in the Protection Racket bag.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

SKB all around. Drums, cymbals and hardware. Solid build and lifetime warranty.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

SKB or protection racket if you want soft cases
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

I use SKB for my kit and a KingKongKaces trapcase for my cymbals. Good heavy duty stuff, but it weighs a bit.

F
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

SKB, definitely.

One of the nice things about SKB is the roto-X cymbal hardcase will stack with the drums. Plus, you can get wheels for the bass drum case, which means you can push your stack of cases around. With a wheeled hardware case, you could transport your entire kit in one trip, without having to meddle with a pesky handtruck or cart...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
skb it is then.

What about cymbals?

I have used a sabian padded bag for my cymbals for years but they ride with me in the vehicle and not in the trailer with the rest of the gear but if the time comes that they need to start traveling with the gear then I will get the skb cymbal case without the center bolt so i can put the whole bag right in the hardcase.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Humes & Berg Enduro (unlined) for everything but the bass (don't have a big enough vehicle to carry that big case in). Have had them for 15 years; the Enduros have been 'there and back' and not a scratch or a ding on ANY of my drums. With lined cases, the lining will deteriorate and be a mess.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Are all Gator bags bad? Or is it just certain ones? Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Ok I pulled the trigger on a 24" skb cymbal case but as for drum cases I don't know whether I'm going to use my Sonors for gigs or buy a 2nd kit. I know what sizes I want in terms of diameter but is it impotant that I know the exact depths or is all generic enough that I don't need to worry?

I got another question about gator which might need it's own thread but I have a 14" gator snare case from about 2005. I'm not sure which models were the notorious ones and if mine is a bad one it would be good if I could salvage it by tearing out the offending lining/glue or whatever it was, is this what other people have done or is it one for the trash?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

I think i would call gator customer service and see what they say.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I think i would call gator customer service and see what they say.
+1 - call them and find out if you're case is one that needs replacing...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

I use Hardcases and I love them. They're nearly as good as SKB, but cost much less. Unfortunately, they no longer have US distributor.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 PM

I have always used cases and my 20 year old kit that still looks like new will tell you the benefits of them. Lately I have been considering ditching the cases and just putting up with getting nicks and dings. When you play a lot of small clubs, cases can be such a pain in the rear end. Having to find some place to spread them out and open them. Finding someplace to put them during the gig. I was thinking about not using them tonight because I'm going to get there a little late because of work. There will be a lot of tables and chairs between the door and the stage that I will have to work my way through. There will be hardly any room in front of the stage to set my cases down and open them up. The only reason I decided to use them is because it is raining and they have an oil finish. It could be that I am just getting old and lazy. :)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I use Hardcases and I love them. They're nearly as good as SKB, but cost much less. Unfortunately, they no longer have US distributor.
I have a couple of both and the quality is much better in the skb, and there was hardly any price difference and you would think there should be as the skb are lined and the hardcase are not. I paid $78.99 for a 14" snare case from hardcase a few years back and $94.99 for the square 15" lined snare case form skb a couple months ago.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

It's true, life would be easier if we'd put up with a few scratches but can't you stack the cases inside each other like Russian dolls during the gig?

Anyway I'm an Aussie so I'll shoot gator an email instead. And I'll take a look at hardcases.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Ok I'm going to be a bit pedantic here but I'm going to order these and I obviously need them to fit. I checked the "fit charts" on the SKB website but it seems they don't want to touch drums with a 10 foot pole unless I'm missing something here.

So I measured my drums and I'm sure an 8" drum case fits an 8" diameter shell (ignoring mounting hardware + rims) but as for depth, should I be measuring the height of the drum from rim to rim or is it just the shell depth?

I measured my sonors from rim to rim, then checked the sonor catalogs to make sure I had my measurements roughly in line (estimating that the rims make up about an extra 1") and there weren't too many sizes to choose from so I know I've got 8x8, 10x9, 12x10, 14x12 tom toms and a 22x16 bass.

So THIS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKB-1SKB-DS1...item5ae47486d8

Would be right for my 10, 12, 14, 22 yes? I could order an 8" tom + snare one separately.

The other thing was, I was considering getting a mapex saturn, and I have read that they have trouble fitting into various cases of their shell size... does anyone know the general rule about how the mapex will fit with skb, hardcase etc (eg + 2") o should I be looking at different cases?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

A correct shell measurement is taken with the hoops off. From bearing edge to bearing edge. The hoops "usually" equate to roughly an extra half an inch, so subtract that and you have the correct depth/diameter. That said, there is a little bit of wiggle room in the depth of SKB cases.....if you have a 12x9 tom, order the 12x9 case and it'll fit with a bit of room to spare.....except of course if you have RIMS style mounts. Then you're better off with a 13x9 case.

Be sure to check out Hardcase too though. They're a fair bit cheaper in Oz than SKB. Excellent cases in their own right and due to the design of the lid, you only need to worry about getting the correct diameter. The "telescopic" nature of the lid allows for a drum of various depth. I have a couple of snare cases. Once you lock the lid down the drums are held securely. They aren't going anywhere.

A close second to the SKB (which are near perfect gigging cases IMHO), but given the savings they may provide better value for money.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
A correct shell measurement is taken with the hoops off. From bearing edge to bearing edge. The hoops "usually" equate to roughly an extra half an inch, so subtract that and you have the correct depth/diameter. That said, there is a little bit of wiggle room in the depth of SKB cases.....if you have a 12x9 tom, order the 12x9 case and it'll fit with a bit of room to spare.....except of course if you have RIMS style mounts. Then you're better off with a 13x9 case.

Be sure to check out Hardcase too though. They're a fair bit cheaper in Oz than SKB. Excellent cases in their own right and due to the design of the lid, you only need to worry about getting the correct diameter. The "telescopic" nature of the lid allows for a drum of various depth. I have a couple of snare cases. Once you lock the lid down the drums are held securely. They aren't going anywhere.

A close second to the SKB (which are near perfect gigging cases IMHO), but given the savings they may provide better value for money.
Ditto that. My drums are all square sizes. Ever try to find a case for an 18 by 18 bass drum? Ain't gonna happen. The telescoping feature of Hardcases ensures you will always be able to fit your drum. Hardcases come with a bit of foam on the inside, but the plastic is soft and non abrasive and only touches the hardware. I have a few SKB cases too and they are better but cost much more. For the money, though, Hardcase can't be beat.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM

have you looked at the hardrock hardcases made by 'hardcase' ?
They are really good- just ordered a set for my new kit- not cheap mind you but then nothing is these days
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-4 View Post
have you looked at the hardrock hardcases made by 'hardcase' ?
They are really good- just ordered a set for my new kit- not cheap mind you but then nothing is these days
I looked at the prices I paid for my Hardcases. They're about 80 percent the cost of SKBs, and about 90 percent of the quality. Not super cheap, but they cover the basics well enough.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I looked at the prices I paid for my Hardcases. They're about 80 percent the cost of SKBs, and about 90 percent of the quality. Not super cheap, but they cover the basics well enough.
fair enough! 20202020
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
But remember the SKB's are lined and the Hardcase brand are not. Best bang for the buck = SKB.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
But remember the SKB's are lined and the Hardcase brand are not. Best bang for the buck = SKB.
Actually the hard rock one's I was referring to are lined- not sure how they compare in price to the SKB's- never heard of those they must be a US product? certainly never seen them over here
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
SKB cases are the best I've seen....no arguments there.

But to expand on the lining issue, the reality is that due to their design, Hardcase don't need to be lined in order to protect the drums. They have foam on the top and bottom that the hoops rest on. Once the straps are pulled tight they are locked in securely. They don't move, wobble or roll around inside the case. It negates the need for any lining as the only part of the drum (or hardware) that touches the sides of the case is the hoops.....which are protected by the foam padding anyway.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 01-22-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

I'm liking the depth versatility of the hard cases. Maybe they're a better option because I don't know exactly what depths my next kit will be. I had my eye on saturns but I might change my mind and the kit I choose might have different depths.

On the other side of the coin - it looks like skb are cheaper than hardcases for me, based on local quotes, and I can't find hard case packs on ebay either.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Default soft Cases

There are many types of cases which suits your style...you need to check out some good cases provider south-pak
Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

But to expand on the lining issue, the reality is that due to their design, Hardcase don't need to be lined in order to protect the drums. They have foam on the top and bottom that the hoops rest on. Once the straps are pulled tight they are locked in securely. They don't move, wobble or roll around inside the case. It negates the need for any lining as the only part of the drum (or hardware) that touches the sides of the case is the hoops.....which are protected by the foam padding anyway.
Very true. Hardcases custom-fit themselves to your drum, so they don't need the additional padding like SKBs. You could use a set of Hardcases on another set of drum with the same diameters but different depths.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ditto that. My drums are all square sizes. Ever try to find a case for an 18 by 18 bass drum?
I have an 18x18 Protection Racket tom bag. But I assume you're after a hard case.

I like cymbal bags over hardcases for a number of reasons. Bags allow you to take the cymbals in or out in any order, unlike a hard case. They take up less room on stage, you don't have to lie them flat like a hard case, and with the hard cases with a nut to screw on the center post, there's a risk of losing that on a dark stage. I actually use a Gator hardcase atm but the design is terrible, it's like they never tested it before shipping it. I was heading out on a flight and needed a case ASAP, and it was too scratched up to return when I got back. A good soft cymbal bag has been on my shopping list for a good few years now.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

There is no foam padding inside my Hardcase brand cases and the top and bottom are flat and smooth and my bass drum slid around inside my bass drum case so bad I had to buy a bag to put it in then put it in the case to stop the lacquered hoops from getting scuffed up from rubbing on the sides of the case, after buying the bag as well as the case I could have bought the skb and still had a few bucks left over. Now the 2 Protechtor cases I use have foam pieces in the top and bottom plus 4 internal dimples in the molded plastic on the top and bottom to keep the drum centered in the case.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Very true. Hardcases custom-fit themselves to your drum, so they don't need the additional padding like SKBs. You could use a set of Hardcases on another set of drum with the same diameters but different depths.

You can use SKB cases on different depth drums also. The top over laps the bottom the same as most other hard shell cases like the Hardcase, Protechtor, Humes and Berg, etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There is no foam padding inside my Hardcase brand cases and the top and bottom are flat and smooth and my bass drum slid around inside my bass drum case so bad......................
Something is wrong. Definitely not the norm.....or are they really old (perhaps first gen.) Hardcase? Regardless, the new ones certainly have foam pads top and bottom.

Not trying to debate the merits with you.....as stated, SKB wins hands down. But I posted more to provide a broader perspective than just the Yankee market where SKB are reasonably priced. Here in Oz, and I'm sure it goes for other countries as well, Hardcase are "usually" cheaper (surprised to hear that Dre25 has found it to be different) and as such I just thought it worth elaborating on the lining issue.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

24" cymbal vault came... I thought it would have more felts for more cymbals but it's a pretty nice piece of gear. So crisis averted, this will get me through the first gig where the drums will be supplied. Now for drum cases:

I can get the SKB ds1 set for $680AUD, which is better than I can get online from the US after postage, apparently they're very expensive to ship.

Waiting on a quote from another local store, AND a quote for hardcases but I'm not holding my breath because they always seem to charge more for everything... the sales guy confirmed that hardcases will fit any depth.

So would you guys be getting the hardcases too if you weren't sure what depth your future drums were going to be? Or would you just get the SKB?

I'm thinking I would like a 14x14 floor tom with my new kit, so that's the only problem I have with the DS1 kit... maybe I can get them to swap the 14 over...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
24" cymbal vault came... I thought it would have more felts for more cymbals but it's a pretty nice piece of gear. So crisis averted, this will get me through the first gig where the drums will be supplied. Now for drum cases:

I can get the SKB ds1 set for $680AUD, which is better than I can get online from the US after postage, apparently they're very expensive to ship.

Waiting on a quote from another local store, AND a quote for hardcases but I'm not holding my breath because they always seem to charge more for everything... the sales guy confirmed that hardcases will fit any depth.

So would you guys be getting the hardcases too if you weren't sure what depth your future drums were going to be? Or would you just get the SKB?

I'm thinking I would like a 14x14 floor tom with my new kit, so that's the only problem I have with the DS1 kit... maybe I can get them to swap the 14 over...
The SKB's are just as adjustable for depth as the Hardcase brand are. They both have the tops that slide down over the bottom which allow for 2-3 inches of height difference. The difference is that the SKB's are usually just a few bucks more but are lined and have better straps and clasps and have a padded lining which the Hardcase brand do not.