DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Head choice ? for 8 " Oak custom Tom

Hey everyone
First of all im embarrassed to say I haven't posted anything since like 2008 but have often found the answers to many of my drumming questions without having to post my own,

That being said I have ordered an 8 inch Yamah oak custom Tom thats a match to the rest of my kit . (Red Oak)
It comes with the stock ambassor batter/reso from yamaha, the rest of my kit has clear Ec2's on the toms with genera resonant heads.

Im an evans guy so swapping out the heads is going to happen , the reso is a no brainer
but what do you guys and girls think is thes best choice for such a small drum..a single or a double ply head??

Cheers
A
Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Head choice ? for 8 " Oak custom Tom

8 inch toms can be tricky. EC2's muffle a bit too much for the 8 I think. Maybe a G1 clear.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Pioneer Member

I use single ply on all my toms, except for the 8" and the 18" toms, for which I use double ply. Lately it's been Remos, so..

I would stick with the EC2, especially if you already like the double ply sound on all your other toms.

For me I get a little less boing and more of a meatier sound with a double ply on the 8" tom, although I will admit, I don't use it that often.

On the floor tom, I want a little less boom and open tone, so the Emperor on my 18" floor tom does the trick.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
audiotech

An 8" tom has always been the tricky one for me. I have three of them and they all have the same resonant head on them which is an Evans G1 clear. I have a 2 ply G2 clear batter head on my Bubinga tom, a 1 ply G1 coated on my Yamaha and a 2 ply G2 coated on my Gretsch Renown kit. Of the three drums I get the best sound out of my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute 8" rack tom with the single ply coated head. There's a lot of variables when it comes to choosing a head, the tuning, the shells, hoops even the mounting system will affect the way they sound. An 8" head is not very expensive. If I were you I would buy two or three and check them out on your 8" drum. I would try the G1 and G2 clear and also a G1 coated.

Dennis
Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. The drum should be here next week , so im thinking either a G1 or maybe a G2 if i feel like being edgy. Cant wait it should be a fun sound to have.

Cheers
A