DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Default custom live metronome

I do most of my playing on a Roland TD8. I am currently playing live with an iPhone metronome app that allows me to set playlists of songs with specific bpms. The problem with this is that when we do fast transitions I am having to remove my left hand stick and reach down to push the button to play the next click track.
Also, I play with a large orchestra that doesn't always pay attention to me. When they get off, our leader (who has inears) tells me to kill the click. This requires a free hand to again work with the iPhone.
What I need (if it exists) is a kit-mountable metronome that I can setup playlists on (5 songs max). I also need to be able to easily alter the bpm live on the fly with a pad that I can play with a stick. I would also like to be able to start the track with that same pad.
I do not want to have to setup any kind of midi triggered laptop for this. That seems to be the only option. (something like an Alesis pad using Abelton)
Am I SOL here or is there an actual option?

oh yea... <$150
Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: custom live metronome

i am currently using the Peterson Body Beat Metronome for the same type of tune count offs. might, might work for you.

+ http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=163
+ http://www.google.com/#q=body+beat+metronome

the programming is super-nice, but i wish i could "name" (ie, the tune name) the programs instead of just a number. it will do 100 programs that you can scroll thru but as i am gigging w/ it, i find it's not fast enough for setlist changes on the fly. setlist 1 might be 1-20, setlist 2 is 21-31, etc. with this in mind, i am gonna just track all the programs into tempos we use ranging from 60, 85, 110, 120, 180, etc. so that i can scroll to the tempo i need quickly & just go. depending on the set, many are right around 80 - 130, so we'll see.

caveat is that you must jab a button to start -- not really stick start-able like dr. beat & others.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Re: custom live metronome

Thanks for you reply double_G. Body Beats looks like it has some of the functionality I'm wanting. I don't think I would mind their playlist function. I would preprogram before every set. I would just cycle through them. Our group never changes anything once it's been solidified. I also like the vibrating function.

It sort of looks like you could hit it with a stick. I looked at Dr. Beat and I'm not sure how you could hit that with a stick. Could you advise on some other brands that are stick-startable?

Maybe I can find some level of compromise.