DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Crimped DW heads from Remo

Interesting theory John good has on his crimped DW heads from Remo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bHwuVE48fY

If you go to the link above to watch his youtube vid, forward to 6:07 and listen to what he has to say about his thoughts and opinions of why he uses a crimped head. I was always under the impression that crimped heads were just cheap chinese made heads offered with beginner/intermediate kits but after watching John Good's vid I can understand his point but am now confused as well lol.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks - Pete
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: Crimped DW heads from Remo

Well I see it almost every day on this site. People using cheap and China together. All my stock heads that came with my Saturn kits are all great sounding, and are all crimped. Nothing cheap about them. They are REMO Emperors over Ambassadors. They actually seem to fit on the Saturn's better than the glued USA REMO's do. They are actually made in the same factory as the Mapex drums. I was told that the Chinese do not want to use the glue that they use in the USA. Can't remember why exactly. I thought it was a health concern, but I might be mistaken.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM

I've used crimp locked heads for years, I swear by them. Unfortunately a lot of drum shops don't or won't carry them, so I have to order them. It takes a while to get and costs me a few $ more but they're worth it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Also...in the vid he states that these heads are made for DW by Remo USA, I'm guessing that means the heads are made in the US?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Also...in the vid he states that these heads are made for DW by Remo USA, I'm guessing that means the heads are made in the US?
The fact that they are crimped, would almost lead me to believe they are made in China.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
The fact that they are crimped, would almost lead me to believe they are made in China.
They are made in the US using the alternative manufacturing method. The Chinese heads have the 'U' designation.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
They are made in the US using the alternative manufacturing method. The Chinese heads have the 'U' designation.
None of my heads have a U on them. They are not the utility ones you are thinking of that come on a lot of intermediate kits. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

my original post was if anyone might have any opinions or experiences with John Good's theory on crimped versus glued heads?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
my original post was if anyone might have any opinions or experiences with John Good's theory on crimped versus glued heads?
It has been my experience that all the Drummers that I know that own DW sets switched out the heads very quickly. I think that speaks volumes don't you think? How often do you ever read on a drum forum that someone loves the stock DW heads ?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

It is interesting if you hold one of these heads up and tap it, it resonates pretty well off the drum.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by areFish View Post
It is interesting if you hold one of these heads up and tap it, it resonates pretty well off the drum.
I found what John Good had to say about the crimp heads interesting and it makes me think or wonder DW's reason to use those heads was not based on budget but on what they actually prefer.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Who makes Ludwig heads? They are crimped as well.

I remember as a teen reading about Ludwig heads in a Ludwig catalog and the reason they were made with a crimped hoop. To prevent the head from pulling out of the hoop.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
Who makes Ludwig heads? They are crimped as well.

I remember as a teen reading about Ludwig heads in a Ludwig catalog and the reason they were made with a crimped hoop. To prevent the head from pulling out of the hoop.
Well they used to make their own heads, so I am guessing they still do.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Yes, Ludwig makes their own heads in house, in the Monroe factory. I've actually seen them making the heads, it's cool to watch.

I really like crimped heads, for many of the same reasons John Good talked about. The lower and smoother collar, and the additional tension in the head makes them easier to seat and they seem to tune up more easily. I wish all of the major players offered more crimped hoop options because I would choose those over glued heads every time.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Yes, Ludwig makes their own heads in house, in the Monroe factory. I've actually seen them making the heads, it's cool to watch.

I really like crimped heads, for many of the same reasons John Good talked about. The lower and smoother collar, and the additional tension in the head makes them easier to seat and they seem to tune up more easily. I wish all of the major players offered more crimped hoop options because I would choose those over glued heads every time.
Well I love the stock heads that came with my Saturn's, and the stock head that came with my Black Beauty, and they are all crimped. So why do they glue heads?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

I honestly don't know. All I can assume is that gluing is either cheaper, easier, or a combination of both. I don't know about Evans or Aquarian but Remo USA clearly has the equipment to make crimped heads, but they only seem to use that on hi-tension marching heads.