DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 AM

Default Bill Ward

Bill Ward is an incredible drummer who never seems to get much attention from the drum community. He is my personal favorite drummer. His style is unmatched and incredibly unique in such a heavy band as Black Sabbath. Please people let me know that other people out there respect this guy and his playing as much as I do!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Bill Ward

Yes, Bill kicks butt, the stuff he did on the Paranoid album is some of the best rock drumming I've ever heard ... definately one of my favorites and an influence in my younger years.

I have a DVD with old BS footage when the band was young and hungry. It shows Bill nailing his bass drum to the stage before the show, and I'm sure he needed it. What an animal, he pummeled both his drums and my young innocent mind.

You know his early kits were straight out Buddy, Slingerland 5 piece with big bass drum and two floor toms. I read an interview where he said when he was coming up he 'wanted to be Buddy Rich'. You can tell Bill worked hard on his fundamentals, he knows his rudiments.

Bill is still doing good, I've seen footage of the last Sabbath tour and he still kicks butt.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM

I love Bill Ward's Drumming, Vol.4 would be my favourite album for his drumming.

One of the things I think holds him back from being in the 'Bonham, Paice catagory' is his sound on the Paranoid & Master Of Reality albums, the toms sound awful for some reason, I mean the fills on War Pigs are classic stuff but when he goes on to his toms - they sound like cardboard boxes - Bizarre!? Never sure how much input he had into the sound & I'm sure some people love it, but not for me I'm afraid. Having said all that, Bill's still a huge influence on me & thousands of other drummers...
Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

They sound like they were absolutely covered in tape. In fact everything does, even the cymbals.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM

That'll be why I don't like the sound, I hate anyone putting tape on anything!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 AM

Personally, I think Bills drums and cymbals sounds from those days are classic. They fit Sabbaths, heavy, low, and muffled sound just right. Bill didnt use tape or muffling on his drums or cymbals. As bongodoggie said, it was a basic Buddy Rich style kit. Bills drums dont sound like Buddy.... why? Watch him play. He plays with the butt end of his sticks and seems to digs into the heads. Unorthodox? yes. But for Sabbath, nothing else would have fit the music. He hasn't really played drums in any other group since Sabbath, he says it doesnt feel right playing drums without them. Maybe he doesnt feel like his playing would work in other bands? I dont know. I'd would love to see him doing something with music nowadays. He seems to have slipped off the map.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrowgroove View Post
Personally, I think Bills drums and cymbals sounds from those days are classic. They fit Sabbaths, heavy, low, and muffled sound just right. Bill didnt use tape or muffling on his drums or cymbals. As bongodoggie said, it was a basic Buddy Rich style kit. Bills drums dont sound like Buddy.... why? Watch him play. He plays with the butt end of his sticks and seems to digs into the heads. Unorthodox? yes. But for Sabbath, nothing else would have fit the music. He hasn't really played drums in any other group since Sabbath, he says it doesnt feel right playing drums without them. Maybe he doesnt feel like his playing would work in other bands? I dont know. I'd would love to see him doing something with music nowadays. He seems to have slipped off the map.

Damn right!

Great drummer.

Children Of The Grave anyone???
Old 04-03-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Damn right!

Great drummer.

Children Of The Grave anyone???
YEH! Children of the GRAVE!

What about The Wizard? People rave about all those technical players like Portnoy, etc. But Bill's playing on the The Wizard is genius. When it comes down to having to play like the CD, The Wizard would be more difficult to learn and play RIGHT than much, if not all of Portnoy's playing. (Sorry for bashing Portnoy, I do enjoy his playing and respect him - saw him at G307 = amazing - his name just came to mind first)

Symptom of the Universe fills anyone? Brilliant!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Rebel

Default Re: Bill (William Thomas) Ward - Black Sabbath

Hello colleagues,

We have to recognize the outstanding drumming of Bill (William Thomas) Ward.
Example on: War Pigs, Iron Man, Children of the Grave, Supernaut, Rat salad. He is one of my main influences to beat the skin besides his old mate (friend) Cozy Powell.

The one I like and play the most is...War Pigs

Thanks & Regards,
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Rebel

Hello, fellows.

Bill Ward on drums, enjoy the man's pictures.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

Bill Ward is one of my favorite drummers ever.

Some of his songs have incredible fills (like war pigs).
Some have great rythm (like Paranoid).
Some have the perfect groove (like Ironman).
Some are just damn fun to play! (like Children of the Grave).

I also like his cymbals (sabian). Although he uses some huge rides and crashes.
Also, the tuning of his bass drums in Children of the Grave is odd, but sounds pretty cool, It reminds me of Hot For Teacher by Van Halen. Soundwise atleast.

He's definitely one underated drummer.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

In that first picture, he looks like Jesus.
I always knew Jesus was a drummer. I think its the hair. lol
Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Bill Ward

The first metal drummer ever, therefore the most influential. I think he deserves to have a thread made about him xP

Anyway, I really like his playing. He sounds almost Bonhamesque on the early Sabbath recordings. Anyone else like him?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Rebel

Mr. Ward, is my great influence and inspiration.
Both, on drumming and as an humble person and gentleman, check his interviews and writing. I hope, to have the chance to meet the man. He leads his life by good example.

Check it out:

http://www.billward.com/ (Bill Ward on the Kerrang! Video Podcast)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bill_Ward.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...bbath1970.html
(Black Sabbath - War Pigs - Live - Paris - 1970)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ight=bill+ward

All The Best,
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian Williams; 04-04-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: adding thread link
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Huge Ward fan! Sometimes I think his amazing good nature and personality eclipse his stature as a drummer. That shouldn't discredit his gift to music.

Always wondered why Bill played a 22" kick. When I'm watching the old Paris 1970 performance I wonder what it would have been like if he was playing at least a 24" or 26". It bums me out that Sabbath was never as documented as Zeppelin, especially in their best years 70-75.

Also wondered how much better his drums (and entire band) would have sounded had Sabbath enjoyed the great engineering that Zeppelin did (although Page would probably discount the role of the engineer to his role of producer).

And then I catch myself and say 'oh right, he's in Black Sabbath and I'm not'. But Bill is the man. His ego couldn't fit into a matchbox he's so down to Earth (no pun intended) and on the level. He is one 'rock god' I wouldn't even hesitate to walk up to and shake hands with.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 PM

I am listening to the first Black Sabbath album now, the drumming is astonishing. I am guessing most of this was also first take, no overdubs. Kind of how things were back then.

I agree on "The Wizard" comment, genius piece of work.

Anyone know of sites with information to his equipment ? I have searched around and have not found much.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish? View Post
I am listening to the first Black Sabbath album now, the drumming is astonishing. I am guessing most of this was also first take, no overdubs. Kind of how things were back then.

I agree on "The Wizard" comment, genius piece of work.

Anyone know of sites with information to his equipment ? I have searched around and have not found much.
Enjoy this: http://drummerworld.com/Videos/billw...bbath1970.html

Check this: http://www.billward.com/

Cheers,
Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrowgroove View Post
Bill Ward is an incredible drummer who never seems to get much attention from the drum community. He is my personal favorite drummer. His style is unmatched and incredibly unique in such a heavy band as Black Sabbath. Please people let me know that other people out there respect this guy and his playing as much as I do!
In fact, I do respect him and love his playing style. Bill (Ward) is the mastermind and heart of heavymetal drumming.

Some Colleagues, will say that the foundation of rock drumming began with DJ (Fontana) and set by John (Bonham) - Ian (Paice) - Carmine Appice...and so on, I agree with that comment. For me, William Thomas Ward set it - built it and developed it for heavy rock drumming.

Your thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Last edited by Ian Williams; 05-29-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: further comments
Old 06-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Koala View Post
Huge Ward fan! Sometimes I think his amazing good nature and personality eclipse his stature as a drummer. That shouldn't discredit his gift to music.

Always wondered why Bill played a 22" kick. When I'm watching the old Paris 1970 performance I wonder what it would have been like if he was playing at least a 24" or 26". It bums me out that Sabbath was never as documented as Zeppelin, especially in their best years 70-75.

Also wondered how much better his drums (and entire band) would have sounded had Sabbath enjoyed the great engineering that Zeppelin did (although Page would probably discount the role of the engineer to his role of producer).

And then I catch myself and say 'oh right, he's in Black Sabbath and I'm not'. But Bill is the man. His ego couldn't fit into a matchbox he's so down to Earth (no pun intended) and on the level. He is one 'rock god' I wouldn't even hesitate to walk up to and shake hands with.
I agree Morbid Koala. Nice and accurate comments towards Bill Ward, I am also his fan. Actually, Bill uses 2 - 26" x 14" bass drums since 1998.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 AM

Bill Ward is under rated for being in such an influential band I think. His drumming was influential to me even before I started playing drums. I think that there is another topic focused on him somewhere in this board, though.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 AM
nhzoso

Yeah I have to agree, ya just do not here enough about this incredible drummer. Watch this video (with a 4 pc kit) and tell me he should not be right up there when people speak of Bonham, Moon, and Paice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqy4...eature=related
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM

Ward is my greatest example of the drummer playing for the music. He's not trying to squeeze in unnecessary bits and pieces. He enhances the part, never overplaying.

I don't know if its a backhanded compliment or not but people often refer to him as a 'percussionist' rather than a 'drummer'.

To dumb it down would be to say that he's the perfect mix of Paice and Bonham with a stronger leaning towards Paice.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Rebel

Read this pretty cool article, from Black Sabbath's backbone.

Check: http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/ho...music-business
Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Rebel

Bill playing the cowbell nicely and rocking it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqjB3t3Lvas
Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Rebel

Happy Birthday - Mr. Ward!...Congratulations! 63 years old...and keep pounding as war pigs!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Guys I need some help. The band I'm in are doing some Sabbath covers, particular from the first 5 albums, the "classic ones". My question is how he hell did Bill get his drum tone/sound especially on the Paranoid album. I know he uses the butt end of his sticks for extra power but that's it. His tom tones sound like nothing else I've ever heard from other rock drummers. On songs like Faires Wear Boots, Rat Salad and Children of the Grave, ect for instance I could swear that the toms sound almost down tuned but I can't be sure. I want to get as close to his sound as possible.

What Would Ian Paice Do?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

i would like to know what cymbals he used on the Paranoid album.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

BILL WARD! Cool. He is AMONG the best! He is an original, an innovator, a.............great drummer! I read an article several years ago and he said (paraphrased): "I am taking drum lessons now because I did not know what I was doing at the time"!

Humble, honorable, leader, and thank you Bill!

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Rebel

Bill Ward is one of those lowly drummers who has given so much, to The Art of Drumming.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Rebel

Bill Ward in the prime of drumming...

Black Sabbath - Iron Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6y6_...feature=fvwrel
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Bill ward had a huge impact on me as a kid when I started, the way he drives the song and approaches fills really expanded my thoughts on playing. Supremely underrated god in the drum world