DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Axis A and Axis A21

Hi guys! im looking into possibly getting a set of axis pedals, and i know the only difference in the two is that the a21 has the beater angled differently. What i want to know is if i could get the a21 in the "old" look (the slim silver footboard), instead of that fat black board. Im a fan of smaller foot boards (width wise) and the idea of a 5 inch wide one appalls me. Is there a big difference in the two sound wise (like they claim) or not?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Axis A and Axis A21

dunno i had the silver ones and they were alright, but they really don't have much power. i tried everything and then ditched them. the only redeeming feature is that they've hopefully held their value

that said, they may be perfect for someone else, i have really big calves and the axis just didn't suit me
Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 PM

i tired a silver pair once, they had plenty of power, i just didnt check if they were the a21s. Thats the big question
Old 01-06-2012, 12:07 AM

They seem to be really hit or miss from drummer to drummer, that is, any of the Axis line-up

Are you dead set on them and/or spending a ton of money? Because I know plenty of drummers who feel their pedals; albiet: pearl, tama, mapex etc, are more comfortably/real/powerful than the Axis.

I personally have not played on a pair. I just don't see the point in ponying up that much money when there are quite suitable pieces of hardware out there doing the same thing.

Good Luck though! I did however pony up for Eliminators..and man they are awesome!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 AM

i play speed cobras now and i am really happy with them, but i would like to buy a pair of direct drive (i cant help myself, im one of those "must go faster" drummers) pedals aswell as a lighter set, so i chose axis out of the directs i have tried. (axis, tick, maypex raptor, demon drives) i tried em for about an hour fidgeting till i got them set just right and i loved them, plus i see double pedals go for around 250 on cragslist every so often around here. I love and will never sell my speed cobras, im just looking for a pedal better suited to the part of me that wants to play 230bpm for 2 minutes. However i dont want to mess up and buy the wrong version, because money is money and money is tight for me, i have to save for all my drum stuff.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Gold Member

If you don't like the standard A21's, then you could get the Derek Roddy Signature A21's…they come with the 21 deg. beater angle, e-kits and dual springs on slave..they basically look like the regular longboards, but have Roddy's signature and a snake etched into the footboard…if the 21 deg. feature is not something you have to have, I'd get the regular A longboards with sonic hammers…with the sonic hammers you can achieve the same effect that the 21 deg. angle achieves...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

I think you can get the old A Longboards retrofitted with the new 21-degree #1 piece, or you can order the new part and do it yourself, if you're mechanically inclined. It'd probably be a lot cheaper to buy the Derek Roddy A21s though (with the original silver footboard).

Also Jon B - if I can play 230BPM for 2 minutes on my belt-drive Eliminators, then you can do it on your Speed Cobras - direct-drive pedals are just a difference in feel. ;)
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

One other thing to think about, NAMM is coming up at the end of the month and a reliable source told me that Axis will be introducing a new pedal…just something to keep in mind with regards to your pedal choice..

Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Also Jon B - if I can play 230BPM for 2 minutes on my belt-drive Eliminators, then you can do it on your Speed Cobras - direct-drive pedals are just a difference in feel. ;)
i know, im just a lazy kind of guy :)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

Had a chance to try the A21 Laser pedals (the ones with the huge footboard) earlier today, and was suitably impressed. Drummers who say that direct-drive pedals are for wimps/lack power, be prepared to eat your words.

At slow speeds, they pack a helluva wallop, comparable to that of an Iron Cobra/Eliminator, and at faster speeds they still have plenty of power. The 21-degree beater-forward piece alters the leverage dramatically, so it's a considerably different feel from a regular Axis pedal (eg. to achieve a similar feel to my Eliminators on an A "shortboard" pedal required a medium-loose spring tension and the VDL set 3/4 back, whereas on the A21 it necessitated the springs being just over medium tension (so ~60-70% tight) with the VDL all the way back)

If I decided to go back to direct-drive pedals one day, I'd certainly buy a set of these.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM

by 3/4 of the way back, do you mean set to the top or bottom? Top being the greatest arc, bottom being the smaller one
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
by 3/4 of the way back, do you mean set to the top or bottom? Top being the greatest arc, bottom being the smaller one
'Back' as in away from the head, and towards your foot. 'Forward' being towards the head.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 AM

dang, so they have a lot of oomph? More than usual axis pedals?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
dang, so they have a lot of oomph? More than usual axis pedals?
Damn straight :)

20characters