DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Default Re: My drummer uses no bottom heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfarrell View Post

Those may be good drums, but.... what has he done to them? Good God, I have the most miss-matched mash up of drums in the world but I take a lot better care of them than he does... Good Lord......
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

I really like this idea, sounds like fun to hear different peoples interpretations of it. I might even give it a go just to learn from it; i.e. try and come up with something and then see what the real drummers here come up with. I'll accept the booby prize for worst version but most learnt ;-)
Having said that I've not heard the track yet because I'm at work. Still, love the idea.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea James was having drummer troubles, now he is going to have more drum tracks than he anticipated. I think that would make him happy. I wonder if it could work as a business model. An artist posts tracks, agrees to compensate the winner, and people compete with their offerings for the tracks that get used. Hmmmm...Good for the artist as he gets many different feels. Bad for the drummer that records and loses. Still I think it may have possibilities...
Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yea James was having drummer troubles, now he is going to have more drum tracks than he anticipated. I think that would make him happy. I wonder if it could work as a business model. An artist posts tracks, agrees to compensate the winner, and people compete with their offerings for the tracks that get used. Hmmmm...Good for the artist as he gets many different feels. Bad for the drummer that records and loses. Still I think it may have possibilities...
it's a cool idea. i don't necesarily see it as bad. i mean i jammed over the track and already recorded something. it only took me 10 minutes. i mean 10 minutes isn't a long time, i've made a sandwich that took more time. if you did enough of them i'd sure you'd get at least one track paid for.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
Those may be good drums, but.... what has he done to them? Good God, I have the most miss-matched mash up of drums in the world but I take a lot better care of them than he does... Good Lord......
What a shame.Those Slingerlands are still some of the best sounding and well constructed drums ever made.With the right tuning and heads,they would be perfect for the drum sound this guitarist is looking for.Throw a set of coated ambassadors on the snare and toms and a ps3 on the bass and you would be amazed how those drums would sing....with all the heads in place that is.

Some of you guys may want to check out the drum tracks made in the late 60's and the 70's.Hal Blaine who is a studio legend used a Ludwig/Blamire mash up kit with single head fiberglass toms,to make those tracks,as did most of the studio drummers back then.Single head drums aren't evil.They just need the right heads and tuning,and most importantly,the right drummer to sound great.Kind of like double headed toms now.;)

Hey James...let me know if he gets pissed off enough to sell those Slingerlands....I'll buy them for sure.

Steve B
Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Just listening to James tracks, "That's the way it gos (sp?) the one with the drums...Definitely Tom Waits meets country blues.

James, your drummer is detrimental to your music. I know exactly what I would do with this stuff. We'll do a before and after lol.

The original guys drumming is a great example of how a drummer can F up a great feeling song. James I guarantee that you will be shocked as to the difference in feel that a good drummer will do to that track.

I need that track without him on it because he's ruining my high lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Just listening to James track, "That's the way it gos (sp?) the one with the drums...Definitely Tom Waits meets country blues.

James, your drummer is detrimental to your music. I know exactly what I would do with this stuff. I can think of at least 2 ways to do it that would elevate the feel to where it needs to be. Even though it's easy to make out your vox, can you provide the lyrics too? That would be helpful.

The original guys drumming is a great example of how a drummer can F up a great feeling song. James I guarantee that you will be shocked as to the difference in feel that a good drummer will do to that track.

I need that track without him on it because he's ruining my high lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

yeah i had to EQ the kick out of the track because it was so awful
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Now I'm super curious. I'm not getting the track with drums as an mp3 (I'm using an iMac), but the second (stomp box) track plays just fine. Ideas anyone?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I think James is saying go ahead and use that 2nd song and let's see what you all got. We can all submit a drum track to this song and then post it back to this thread and vote on it - James having the last say.

Just give me a few days guys, don't use that track, that's butcher. I need to take the drums we got and redo the guitars and vocals, that way we have a track with good vox and guitars and shit drums. I'll put up 2 of a few songs, each with guitars, vox, drums (as reference to kind of the feel we're looking for)

and as well a track with just guitar and vox. Will be a few days though, my mom left the planet today suddenly :(
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Will be a few days though, my mom left the planet today suddenly :(
Does that mean what I think it does? If so, having recently gone through the same thing, my thoughts are with you. Only come back here when we're a useful escape.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Now I'm super curious. I'm not getting the track with drums as an mp3 (I'm using an iMac), but the second (stomp box) track plays just fine. Ideas anyone?

might be because the files are in all different formats.

Try this one, let me know if it works. MPEG4 *.m4a

Song title - No other way but me
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648566

First posted song - Ima Be Alright
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648948

Trying to think of another way to get you the tune. May be because it's a secure site?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

It's all you guys. I have nothing to record with. If I did I would have my own originals on YouTube by now. It's just rubbish right now. (that's right, I said rubbish)
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

This forum does odd things with some files. It tends to add .html at the end of attachments. The trick is to alter the file name and when instructed, use the original extension. For instance, if I download 'hello.mp3' this forum renders it as 'hello.mp3.html'. The trick is to make it so it just says .mp3 again.

James, my sincere condolences at your loss.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Does that mean what I think it does? If so, having recently gone through the same thing, my thoughts are with you. Only come back here when we're a useful escape.
Yep, my mom woke up dead. I'm pissed because she smoked forever and has emphasyma for 2 years, hands always red, trouble walking. She was anti-doctor. Worked yesterday at the supermarket, they called late yesterday after work and spoke to my grandma saying she didn't look good and asked if she was ok.

Other family members were saying in the past week she looked like hell, hands almost blue. Nobody even F'N called me. Unreal. I saw her on X-mas and she looked the same as she always does. 62 years old. 2 packs of marlboro lights / day for >45 years.

But it's a good thing she never went to the doc. She would have had a miserable last 2 years when they told her she had cancer, which I think it was. She went to bed, my uncle showed up in the AM to check on my grandma and my mom (lived together) and my grandmas door was shut. She hasn't slept till 10am in 30 years. My moms door was shut and the coffee, which is usually on by the time my uncle arrives was not on.

I showed up and 2 cop cars there. I'm like WTF? Did someone else die? The worst was the phone call from my dad at work. "I need to see you now"

Last time he called in the AM which was 2 years ago, it was my grandpa. My dad is like the grim reaper. I had to beg him to tell me over the phone. I thought it was my 4 year old daughter who has had pneumonia off and on for 2 months or my older girl (15) that lives with my X-gf or my wife. I told him, tell me now you SOB, tell me it's not my wife or one of my kids. My mom. Unreal. I haven't even cried. I feel like floaty, like it's not real. Not really sure how to process this. Anyhow I'm off for a bit.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I am sorry to hear that, James. My condolences to you and your family. It's tough losing a parent. I lost my dad at 62. Too young. Be strong man.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

that's a real damn shame james.
there isn't really a lot i have to say, stay strong.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Just give me a few days guys, don't use that track, that's butcher. I need to take the drums we got and redo the guitars and vocals, that way we have a track with good vox and guitars and shit drums. I'll put up 2 of a few songs, each with guitars, vox, drums (as reference to kind of the feel we're looking for)

and as well a track with just guitar and vox. Will be a few days though, my mom left the planet today suddenly :(
Condolences James it's tough losing a parent at any age. Be kind to yourself and your remaining family and drop in to the forum any time for a bit of inane banter to lighten the load.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM

That floor tom head looks like an Evans hydraulic to me. Those things are already dead sounding and he has to tape s#it to it.
How dead does it need to be? Damn.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Im sorry about your mother.

Great seeing people helping a fellah musician in need! Im afraid that i can't even come up with some improvements to this :( I lack tuning-skill ...oh wait.. i need mics as well.... LOL

Good luck - hang in there!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

James...sorry for your loss.I've been there ...I know there's nothing else to say.

Steve B
Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
That floor tom head looks like an Evans hydraulic to me. Those things are already dead sounding and he has to tape s#it to it.
How dead does it need to be? Damn.
This is what a drummer does to his set when he doesn't want anyone to hear him.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 PM

We tried to record the other night. Horror show. So we have some sh|t drum tracks for reference and It's going to be a few till I finalize the guitar tracks, vocal tracks. I'm a nit picker. I'm not going to post anything till the vocals and guitars are 100% and ready for drums, but right now I'm too messed up to do anything, will be a few.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

James, my deepest sympathy for your loss, I lost my mom 10 years ago, I know how you feel right now.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM

Sorry to hear that man, prayers for you and your family.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

James, you have my condolences, this is a tough one. You are not alone. Many of us have been where you are. I'll say a prayer for you and your family. I'm sure your Mom would want you to live out your dreams so when you are ready please come back to the forum. We'll have more ideas to help you then. Tom

Last edited by Skyking; 01-10-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Different thought on subject.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks guys, you cats are a helluva crew. Very nice group of guys, unlike most forums. I'm sorry I haven't had time to check in. I've been driving 3 hours a day for the past 3 days and then will be maxxed out getting all my moms financial crap in order. Might be a solid month or two till I'm able to get back to the music.

Sucks :(

Anyhow thanks for thinking of me.

Kevin James
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Hope you cope with everything, dude - must be beyond tough.

Still - music is a great way to lose yourself and work out stuff. I look forward to seeing some progress and what the guys here can do for you.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 AM

Condolences and best wishes from Australia. For what it's worth, I will be praying for you and your family.

Just a note on this thread as a whole; this is why I love the Drummerworld community. I don't post often, but I lurk lots and while there are the occasional disagreements, the members here are really great people.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
He's a mess. 10 percs a day for shoulder injury, always smoking weed, drinking beers. @ 55 I have no idea how he does it and gets up and works. Always a mess, always drinking and driving. I don't know how he can do it.
Haha.

Just wanted to add that being from MA, this is such a common thing. :-(
Percs and beehs kiiiid.

Then again I'm 23...

Yeah I think you'll be real happy with what folks on this forum can come up with!
Really dig the tunes by the way... just need someone to lay back and groove with you!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Hey Kevin, my advice would be the following:
1. Spend just 79$ into decent drumheads (see for example this drums heads pack). The one showed on the pictures are no doubt over-dead. It's like, you were trying to play guitar with strings played for over 20 years: would you?
There's nothing wrong with using pinstripe heads, but they need to be new (or they sound more precisely at their best after they've been played for like one week).
If the batter head is well tuned, a good sound engineer can get a hell of a sound out this old Slingerlands. These drums were, and are still amongst the best ever built, they can reach astronomical prices on ebay. And he seems to have nice cymbals (Zildjian A) and hardware (DW), so on this side there's not much to say.
2. Try to convince him to put resonant heads on his toms.
3. If he doesn't want to, well there's also nothing wrong with not using bottom heads! As other guys said here, it was even very popular back in time. Since you can insert the mics inside the toms, they capture the sound differently than from what is most commonly done today (a mic over the batter head plus ambiance microphones). Inside the tom, the mic gets the punch of the batter head plus some of its resonance, that you wouldn't get so distinctly outside the tom. It's a different sound (of course without all the sustain you would get when having a resonant head), old school, but in now way worst that's just a matter of taste. And I think it can suit very well to your style of music.
4. If this guy uses no bottom heads, he should then remove the bottom hoops, and even the bottom lugs out of his toms as it can generate some parasite noises.
5. Tune his snare. Generally, just applying some higher tension on the snare head helps. You can maybe borrow a drumdial to someone, it helps a lot.
6. The playing: He has some kind of feeling, but he's not in time!!! Try to make him play in the tempo, with the others. Also I noticed that he's inconsistent in the dynamics (heard some suddenly hard beaten crash of hi-hats when they shouldn't). By the way, very nice music.
7. Make a CD out this recording session, find gigs, and find eventually a new drummer.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Have a look at how single headed toms can sound there:
Canopus rfm line - Single headed toms sound sample
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 AM

Ok, been doing some sh*t lately. Gonna get the first tune to Larry to see what he can do. Chad, bass player is gonna upload the files to sugar sync, Larry I'll shoot you an email.

Here's another tune I threw together. I'm probably the first one on the planet to use distortion on the resonator. The drums are toon track. Sucks, I have no idea how to edit the piano roll and add fills and crap. Wish I did, but I don't have the time. I have to practice everyday or I go stale fast.

So Chad is adding bass to the tune tonight. This is the general direction we want to head in, some of the more acoustic country stuff on wood body guitar and this heavier stuff, which I love more than the lamer stuff for lack of better words.

Song kills me though, it's hillarious, I think. I love the farm stuff.

ACC for better quality
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_755046

MP3
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_755034

Tune is not mixed or finalized yet. I don't handle that, Chad does. But when he adds bass to it, it will sound cool and if you guys are interested I'll host the individual track files as well if anybody wants to add some real drums to it. I don't want to steal the thunder from Larry either but I got endless tunes. More than we can keep up with.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 AM

I apologize. I only read the first and last few comments of this forum. First, I must say that I’m sorry for your loss.

My favorite band released a live in concert CD/DVD combo in 2008. The concert took place in an auditorium, and the drummer was using what looked like a 7 piece DW drum set with a 14x8 Pearl Signature Vinnie Paul Snare Drum. Each tom didn’t have a resonant side head. All batter sides (snare and toms) were using Clear Remo Pinstripes. I think the batter side bass head was either a Clear Remo Pinstripe or a Clear Remo PS3, I’m not sure, also the reso side drumhead for the bass drum (yes, unlike the drums I’ve seen on this forum, this one had a reso side base head) looked like a common DW reso side bass head. Personally, I think the sound is great. What’s strange is that I’ve never seen that drummer play a set of drums like that before or after that concert. Usually he uses 5-7 piece DW drum sets (drums of which all have reso sides) and I think Aluminum or Stainless Steel DW Snare Drums with the same clear pinstripe batters. I’m just saying that the sound was great but then again he was using newer equipment and the whole thing was live in concert. Sorry for the long story.

Last edited by JLoveDrums94; 01-21-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Well, 1 Drummer to 0 Drummer, just like that.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, 1 Drummer to 0 Drummer, just like that.
He left? Not really a surprise if he read this thread though.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 AM

LOL, forgot I sent it. He went and bought new heads last week and I don't know if it helped much. He didn't use a drum dial or anything.

I sent him an email telling him what was up as well. The dry drum recordings weren't good. The beats were off, he doesn't practice except when it is time to record. I'm hearing stuff recording that I don't like, so I'm practicing non stop to correct it.

Anyhow, sent Larry a couple tunes.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
LOL, forgot I sent it. He went and bought new heads last week and I don't know if it helped much. He didn't use a drum dial or anything.

I sent him an email telling him what was up as well. The dry drum recordings weren't good. The beats were off, he doesn't practice except when it is time to record. I'm hearing stuff recording that I don't like, so I'm practicing non stop to correct it.

Anyhow, sent Larry a couple tunes.
Probably for the best based on what you've said anyway.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM

Here's one I sent Larry today. This is just toontrack drums.

One Trick Pony
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_756109