DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Re: My drummer uses no bottom heads

Thanks, I'd have to listen to that tune again, not really familiar with the drum sound as a guitarist I'm usually listening to the guitars not the drums, just as you guys must mostly listen to the drums not the guitars. But I've heard that tune thrown around in various conversations, I'll have to give it a relisten.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I think the obvious question no is asking is:

How are the top heads? Are they brand new, or old and beat up?

Bottom heads aren't going to save a drum sound if the top heads are not fresh and tuned properly.

In a thread around here somewhere. Bermuda posted a picture of recording with concert toms, but he pointed out the mic placement was key to getting a full sound.

The other issue if the drums are indeed 1970's Silvertones; those were cheap drums sold out of the Sears catalog.
BINGO!!!! Cheap drums with no bottom heads will sound.....CHEAP. But if he digs the sounds of 70's era lifeless toms like old Kiss and Elton John Records (sorry KISS fans but i just HATE no resonance!!!) then I guess to him they'll sound as good as it gets.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM

If I were on 10 percs, booze and pot I wouldn't know the drum kit was there haha. This kit at least needs a good cleaning, new heads and possibly cymbals
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfarrell View Post
Yep, I have sugar sync, same thing. Just will have to get a price to get an idea, that's all.

Christ almighty the drums sound like ass. I just listened to the dry track. Vox and guitar are just a scratch track for the drums. We're trying to get the drums down before this guy dies. He's a mess. 10 percs a day for shoulder injury, always smoking weed, drinking beers. @ 55 I have no idea how he does it and gets up and works. Always a mess, always drinking and driving. I don't know how he can do it. I can't even drink anymore, I'm out for 2 days if I drink a 6 pack. LOL. But when it comes to making music, I stay straight because I'm serious about it. I smoke afterwards though, but anyhow he's having an operation on his shoulder soon and will be out 2 months. I don't think he'll ever recover so we're trying to get some drums down so we have somthing to attract other drummers.

Here's the drums dry, no sauce (software sugar) on top.

Frign horrible I think.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648532

click the link, should download as mp3
Sorry, but your posts keep getting funnier and funnier. I kinda feel bad for the guy. But hey, sounds like you just don't like him as a person. Regardless of how he plays, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Those heads are from the past century! They're not even real pinstripes and if they were i wouldn't fucking ductape them all over and have internal muffling. They're even single headed. No wonder you say the sound dead. He has ten times the dampening, i would have on a regular drum with two heads. Actually i dont dampen my toms at all...

Atleast you get some help in here right. I can't believe this. You're not supposed to buy gear for him either.... He just have to step up, in my opinion. Good luck with it!

Wauw just found the track. I dont like his drumming either. You're the singer? Sounds great. I like the Guitar and the singing. Tbh it would sound better with no drums at all. Atleast if this is the thing we're talking. I guess Larry can do this more than tenfold! Hang in there dude! I'd also like to play with you. This is more the kind of music i want to play! It's true - everyone around here in Europe also like worships heavy metal...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Actually the drums are fine, they just need tuning and heads. I could get a killer tone from those Slingys. Heads and tuning, tuning and heads. That's all you need.
^^THIS.. With so much in the way of head and damping appliance innovations in the past 20 or so years, this guy needs to get out more.. Those maple (?) shells need new heads (top AND bottom) and a proper tuning job. They CAN be made to sound really really nice!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yep, I have sugar sync, same thing. Just will have to get a price to get an idea, that's all.

Christ almighty the drums sound like ass. I just listened to the dry track. Vox and guitar are just a scratch track for the drums. We're trying to get the drums down before this guy dies. He's a mess. 10 percs a day for shoulder injury, always smoking weed, drinking beers. @ 55 I have no idea how he does it and gets up and works. Always a mess, always drinking and driving. I don't know how he can do it. I can't even drink anymore, I'm out for 2 days if I drink a 6 pack. LOL. But when it comes to making music, I stay straight because I'm serious about it. I smoke afterwards though, but anyhow he's having an operation on his shoulder soon and will be out 2 months. I don't think he'll ever recover so we're trying to get some drums down so we have somthing to attract other drummers.

Here's the drums dry, no sauce (software sugar) on top.

Frign horrible I think.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648532

click the link, should download as mp3
Sorry but this post has me LMFAO.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The main reason I am offering up my services is this stuff is right up my alley. If it were a metal track, I wouldn't be the right guy, but I dig this stuff, rootsy.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM
BigSteve

Larry, I wish I could hear it...I'm at work. It's probably something I would like as well. Just have to check it out once I get home. Have fun on the tracks if you lay some down!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The main reason I am offering up my services is this stuff is right up my alley. If it were a metal track, I wouldn't be the right guy, but I dig this stuff, rootsy.
I think your newly aquired 60's Ludwigs would work well in this setting.

Steve B
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Well like I said, that's one of the more lamer tunes.

Here's another little more aggressive, just me and my stomp box . Real rough, recorded on a zoom, 2nd take after I memorized it. This tune sounds awesome with drums and upright bass. On my baritone resonator (favorite guitar)

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_613206
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 AM

That sounds great!!!

If you sent a link to this,to your present drummerslob..Well I don't reckin you'll
have to worry bout him no more...hhaahahahahaahahahahahhaahhaaa

I've came across so many drummers in my city with shitty kits,all taped up.
no sense of musicianship...You can't tell them anything,they know it all...

You don't have to put up with that at all,you have real talent...
Hell, in the mean time just get a cheapo drum machine.....
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 AM

LOL, the guy in the 3rd post just struck a chord with me. You know, the screw it chord. I don't play it much but I'm not afraid. The guy is coming here tomorrow night. Hopefully he'll be so pissed off he'll take his kit and leave.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 AM

Crap, I forgot I sent him the link. LOL. Well I don't edit stuff. Tired of settling for less than best. I have a tune that's been kicking my ass for a year. I'm actually stretching the crap out of my wrist and fingers and arm. I'm lifting weights to build up the strength for the endurance required for the tune. Our drummer wont do that. Because he doesn't give a shit. Why even play an instrument? Boggles my mind.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

why do i feel like i've had this conversation before?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

I hate to be the one to mention this, but it's not just his kit that sounds bad. He's all over the place. Shame, sounds like a fun song to play to.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 AM

This guy doesn't even sound slightly competent IMHO.

On another note, I'm excited to see what Larry does to this track.
Good luck! :)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.L View Post
This guy doesn't even sound slightly competent IMHO.

On another note, I'm excited to see what Larry does to this track.
Good luck! :)
Me too, it's crying out for a decent drum track- really like the song, but the drummer- man, my 6 year old could have done better and she doesn't even play, although she can count to 4 which might be useful. I couldn't even get to the end of the track, it was just too painful.

Guys like that give us real drummers a bad name!

Go Larry, go Larry.... and please post the sorted tune so we can really appreciate it!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 AM

Well we got a few more times with this guy, if he doesn't quit before we get the stuff finished. We have some cool beats on some of the songs, I think. But.... this is coming from a guy with no real experience with drummers. If this guy can come up with some 1/2 decent stuff, I'm sure Larry or any of you guys could do better as my drummer doesn't even practice.

So my goal is to finish the drum tracks so Larry can have a reference of what we're looking for, work on a couple tunes and replace the scratch track vocals and guitars, then send a few off to Larry and see what he can do.

Or just have Larry go along with the scratch tracks and then replace them after he's done. I'll have to talk to Chad the bass player. I can't stand the recording stuff.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 AM

IMO you are wasting time even letting that slob record your your songs..
I'd bet good money Larry doesn't need hear this guys "special" beats to do a good job.

I feel I'm ranting here and I kinda am, guys like Slobbo,drive me nuts.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 AM

And for the record , I love concert toms..
Some of the greatest music in history has been recorded with them...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

damn that's some dope slide guitar.
if no one else helps you out i'll record you some drums for free.

edit: i see larry wants to do it. get him to do it!

please post the songs when they are finished, one of my friends would love this music!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

I love Larry, but remember, he can't play a show with ya'll. Finding a drummer that you like working with, and one who likes working with you will pay off in spades.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

just get a funking beat on it dude... get a drummer later. i wanna hear the songs with drums.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdrum View Post
BINGO!!!! Cheap drums with no bottom heads will sound.....CHEAP. But if he digs the sounds of 70's era lifeless toms like old Kiss and Elton John Records (sorry KISS fans but i just HATE no resonance!!!) then I guess to him they'll sound as good as it gets.
Sorry Sam I couldn't agree with you less. Elton John's drummer Nigel Olsson is a legend for his playing and his sound and helped Elton sell billions of records around the world. Nigel is better than 90 percent of the drummers out there today. I could care less about Kiss though.

I would just talk with this drummer if he has issues. Give him the benefit of the doubt, though I'm sure Larry would do a great job.

Last edited by larryz; 01-05-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Actually, maybe it's in James best interest to put the tracks up here, that way anyone can take them and make a drum track... That way James would have many different feels to pick from. It would make a heck of a fun thread too. Winner gets compensated lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

that sounds so awesome larry. if anything just post up the tracks minus drums so people can jam with some slide guitar... i need to visit new orleans or some place.

edit: i totally sound like a tool. do whatever you want (james), it's your music!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually, maybe it's in James best interest to put the tracks up here, that way anyone can take them and make a drum track... That way James would have many different feels to pick from. It would make a heck of a fun thread too. Winner gets compensated lol.
That does sound like fun! I wonder if I got the stuff to do it. Can't be too complicated, right? USB mic straight into my laptop running Audacity? I haven't tried something like that yet, but recording like that might benefit from not close-micing... Might not be release quality, but good enough to not get voted off the forum!

Last edited by MikeM; 01-05-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

yeah dude you could definitely do that. i have a studio set up downstairs but i'll just record with my overheads & a kick mic to keep the sound quality low

(if it happens)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd be all over that. My practice space is already set-up as a little recording studio. I could have your tracks done in a day!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I might even give that a go. I mean, serious... what have you got to lose?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

I rather love Larry's proposal. There's at least a few members here that could do it and will do it. You seem like a good guy and your music is interesting. Bo and Larry are definitely up for it!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, I came to this thread early, & before the OP posted pictures of the "kit" & a sound file (actually, I can pick up the second track with stompbox but the first isn't coming through as mp3). Quite funny to see the difference in my (cautious) tone and the full on lambasting posts later on. Although I can't hear this drummer's tracking, I do trust the ears of some here who've said it ain't good, & I only need to take one look at that kit to know there's zero passion in the player. It's not a gear money thing, it's just a care thing. Hell, I saw a ton of passion in Leo's first kit pictures, so this guy annoys me.

I hate it when guys give drummers a bad name. There's some serious players on this forum who can make your music flow like a dream. As the others said, it would make a good thread too :) Larry threw his hat in the ring first, so he should get a good shot at this IMO. I also happen to think Larry's got exactly the feel needed here, after all, he is the DW forum bluesmeister!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Larry threw his hat in the ring first, so he should get a good shot at this IMO. I also happen to think Larry's got exactly the feel needed here, after all, he is the DW forum bluesmeister!
this x 1000! 20202020
if anything i want to hear what larry does with it so i can steal his groove
Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Sounds good guys, the reason I have said that I would send Larry both the drumless tracks and the tracks with drums is to give him a feel of what we're after. The tunes are no big deal for any drummer that is 1/2 decent. When we finish up tonight, I'll have my bass player put up some of the rough tracks on a share on sugar sync or if anybody else has a sharing space that doesn't require peoples email addresses unless you all want to PM me your email address so I can send an invite to the share.

I'm just stoked that a few drummers are actually interested in the music, because as a writer I'm always questioning whether the music sucks or not.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

The music doesn't suck at all. It's not my bag but don't worry - it's actually quite interesting.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

I think it's great. this is not processed at all is it? IF it is i would recommened lowering the sound of the guitar jus a tiny bit, because when you glide - it's killing the vocals which i like alot! Hang in there you're doing great. Actually it's great to see musicians with passion. You're really trying to make this work... Good luck
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Well the first one I posted, "Ima be alright" is just a guitar track, vocals done at same time, guitar bleeding into mic, 1/2 assed just to record the drums, if you can call them that. We did not anticipate the drummer being around or coming back after surgery so we wanted to at least get the drum tracks done so we'd have something to show that the music is 1/2 decent. It's hard to attract other musicians without the whole picture.

So, long story short, that's just a dry track for now. The 2nd song was just me, my stomp box and a zoom recorder, recorded live.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

if you do end up sharing the tracks for people to jam on can you post them as stems so we can adjust the levels if needed, would be awesome!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well the first one I posted, "Ima be alright" is just a guitar track, vocals done at same time, guitar bleeding into mic, 1/2 assed just to record the drums, if you can call them that. We did not anticipate the drummer being around or coming back after surgery so we wanted to at least get the drum tracks done so we'd have something to show that the music is 1/2 decent. It's hard to attract other musicians without the whole picture.

So, long story short, that's just a dry track for now. The 2nd song was just me, my stomp box and a zoom recorder, recorded live.
I think James is saying go ahead and use that 2nd song and let's see what you all got. We can all submit a drum track to this song and then post it back to this thread and vote on it - James having the last say.