DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Default My drummer uses no bottom heads

I know nothing about drums, but we're recording and we're using the best equipment there is. Except the drums. This guy has an older set, he got in 1970 or whatever. Silvertone I think? Anyhow, none of his heads have bottoms and we're questioning the quality of the sound we're recording.

He puts a pillow in the bass drum with weights on it, is this stupid?

Thanks,

James (guitarist)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My drummer uses no bottom heads

Don't worry about what he does (no heads, pillow, etc.), critically evaluate the sound. If it is not appropriate, then you need to have a talk.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Well, like I said, I'm not a drummer. The sound just sounds sort of lifeless. Like PFFFF.... type of sound when recorded. We're using all the best equipment, shure mics, logic pro, decent interface. To him the sound is as good as it gets. I'm just looking for some guidance from drummers, hence why I'm on here. Is it a stupid practice to not use bottoms on heads? I have no idea.

The guy is a bit older than the bass player and I, we're about 40 and he's about 55 and he's stuck in his ways.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfarrell View Post
I know nothing about drums, but we're recording and we're using the best equipment there is. Except the drums. This guy has an older set, he got in 1970 or whatever. Silvertone I think? Anyhow, none of his heads have bottoms and we're questioning the quality of the sound we're recording.

Thanks,

James (guitarist)
Bass drums almost always have muffling of some kind, whether it's built in to the head, or with something added on.

Nothing wrong with single-headed toms either if you like the sound. It's not a hugely popular sound at this time in history, has been in the past though. Certainly worked for Phil Collins and quite a few other guys.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Well, he should have heads on the bottom..... I don't know how else to say it, you just should.

But as far as the bass drum goes it makes perfect sense.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, like I said, I'm not a drummer. The sound just sounds sort of lifeless. Like PFFFF.... type of sound when recorded.
You don't need to evaluate the sound with the ears of a drummer or even a musician. Evaluate the sound with the idea of being a listener. What would someone (could be anyone) listening to your record say about the sound of the drums?

Also, if you have a short mp3 of your music we'd love to hear it and critique the sound for you.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Of course, & quite rightly so, we're all a bit hesitant to offer advice to a (with respect) 3rd party. We'd be much more open with your drummer asking the same question. I'm sure you understand there's a professional respect for a fellow player.

All that said, you imply that you're not happy with the sound, & indicate that it's all a bit lifeless/dead sounding. With very extensive muffling of the bass drum, & using single headed toms (maybe also muffled via tuning/head selection), frankly, it's going to sound pretty lifeless. Some studio engineers prefer this, & build the sound using EQ + various effects. Does your engineer have an opinion on this?

The alternative is to start with a nicely tuned & fairly open sounding kit, then spend time capturing that sound to best effect. Both methods are valid.

Perhaps it's best to ask yourself if you're happy with the sound of the kit when you stand in the recording room. If the answer is no, then ask if the intention is to substantially process that sound in some way. If the answer is no again, then it's time to respectfully air your concerns with your drummer. Perhaps bring the recording engineer in on the conversation.

I hope this helps focus your thoughts.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

I have never played concert toms that didn't sound like dead buckets. I played this 80's beautiful green Gretsch. It was amazing, hadn't it been for the horrible concert toms. I can't understand why anyone would want them.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I think the obvious question no is asking is:

How are the top heads? Are they brand new, or old and beat up?

Bottom heads aren't going to save a drum sound if the top heads are not fresh and tuned properly.

In a thread around here somewhere. Bermuda posted a picture of recording with concert toms, but he pointed out the mic placement was key to getting a full sound.

The other issue if the drums are indeed 1970's Silvertones; those were cheap drums sold out of the Sears catalog.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:

Thanks,

James (guitarist)
With all due respect, this drummer sounds to me like the kind of drummer that just never spent much time in getting a good drum tone. This is not something you can change with a comment, unless your drummer is super open minded about his tone. You don't like his tone, and neither do I lol. I abhor the single headed tone. Getting him to change is either going to be very easy or very difficult, depending on his personality. Drums are THE hardest instrument to get sounding good. Even if you did get bottom heads...a Silvertone drum...well it doesn't sound like an easy set to get a great tone from, even for a tuning pro. So in my mind, I would rent a set, get it tuned optimally somehow, and use that. I'd say sidestep his entire kit and insist on newer drums with new heads for the recording part. The drums are the hardest instrument to record right. If you have a killer tone to start off with...it's still hard. Getting a good drum tone takes knowledge, well developed tuning skills, and the right head combo for the music you're recording.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I think the obvious question no is asking is:

How are the top heads? Are they brand new, or old and beat up?

Bottom heads aren't going to save a drum sound if the top heads are not fresh and tuned properly.

In a thread around here somewhere. Bermuda posted a picture of recording with concert toms, but he pointed out the mic placement was key to getting a full sound.

The other issue if the drums are indeed 1970's Silvertones; those were cheap drums sold out of the Sears catalog.
+1 On that.That was a big question back in the day..."are those Sears drums,or are they real drums"?If those drums are miced properly,tuned well and have good heads,you can EQ and add effects to the drums and make them sound anyway you want.

Single head toms came about partially because it allowed engineers to close mic a kit and have better control over their sound.

If you and your bandmates really don't like the sound of the drums,then talk it over with your drummer.Why not post a sound clip here and let us have a listen.We may be able to help.There are some pro drummers here as well as recording engineers who play drums.It could also be the fault of the recording engineer.

You also might want to consider renting a kit for studio use.

Steve B
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Sorry, they are slingerland not silvertone. Here's some pics. I've never seen drums like this. No heads on the bottom, he puts this sticky crap on the heads, he doesn't use a drum dial. I mean what am I to expect. He doesn't practice except when we practice. I mean if I was a drummer, I'd have a drum set at home and one at my practice space (which is at my house)

I mean I'm a guitarist, I have a guitar with me at all times. I eat, sleep, breath and sh*t guitar, 24/7. I don't get this guy. I guess like he says, he's along for the ride and he's all we got. It's impossible to find drummers where I live. Everybody wants heavy metal, death metal or cover bands. We do original music. It's tough to find someone willing to step out on a limb. This guy did, but we're just trying to work with him. Myself and my bass player think his drums sound like sh*t. My bass player has been in many bands, some signed to major labels. He knows more than myself about drums. Here's some pics. I'll get a dry, unprocessed cut of the drums and post it here later.

In all seriousness, you shouldn't have to add endless candy over the drums (software) to get them to sound good should you? Maybe yes? Maybe no? I don't know, I'm just asking you guys for advice. You guys know what your doing, well some of you I assume :D

Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Hmm thats a crazy looking kit. lol
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Actually the drums are fine, they just need tuning and heads. I could get a killer tone from those Slingys. Heads and tuning, tuning and heads. That's all you need.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM

How much are heads. This guy wont spend any money. I spend $500 on an interface to record his drums, I have to buy his heads too and a tuner.

What are good brands you'd recommend and I'll get a drum dial and a book and learn how to do it. If I had cash I'd pay a drummer 10,000 dollars to record with us. Working with this guy makes me want to quit music.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

OK, Slingerland, good drums.

But as I said, "how are the top heads?" and it's clear from the pics the top heads are shot.
Even if you put bottom heads on those drums, it means nothing without changing the top heads.

See this thread
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=64474
And read how Bermuda (drummer for Weird Al and others) can get a good tone without bottom heads. But also notice, he has brand new heads on top for recording, and mice placement is key.

EDIT: further, see this thread on drum tuning. It's a good read: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85449
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I encourage you to buy new heads, top and bottom, and tune each drum to be in it's midrange, or either higher mid range or lower mid range, depending on your music requirements. The bass drum you probably want to keep single headed and muffled and tuned to it's lowest good sounding note.
There are so many head choices out there, but I will try and make it easier for you. The bottom heads on toms only....single ply 10 mil clear heads. Most everyone here will say the same thing. The top heads are either going to be single ply or 2 ply, clear or coated. That's where you decide what your music needs. The 1 ply will have the most open sound, and the 2 ply will sound more controlled. Coated or non coated...non coated is brighter, coated is warmer. The most open ringy sound will be 10 mil 1 ply clears top and bottom. The more controlled warmer tone will be had from the 2 ply coated head on top. Stay away from premuffled heads. You can muffle yourself if necessary.

Another option, for the recording, is to record to a click, (don't use a drummer) and send your stuff out to another drummer (in Bucks County PA for instance), who can add the drums to your songs via tracks exchanged over the internet. Perfectly fine solution for you there, with guaranteed less agg (assuming the drummer is capable and delivers a great final product)

Last edited by larryace; 01-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Your drummer's set is trashed and the heads are worn out. I've seen vomited-on Craigslist kits that looked better. I can tell you it is a bad sign when drummers duct-tape Kotexes to heads for muffling. This is what a set looks like when a drummer has no passion or interest or willingness to work with a band. This is what a slob brings into the studio. I can only imagine how he dresses and presents himself on stage.

Still, many engineers like single-headed drums and muffled, cardboard-sound bass drums, because they then use the original sounds as triggers for sounds from their digital drum collection. So in some ways, this is a blessing. Let the engineer/producer select a drum sound that goes good with your band and overlay that on the drummer's work. Either that, or use software like Drums on Demand.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

You're buying his heads and he can't be bothered? Drop him and get yourself someone that can be bothered.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. It sounds tough to work with somebody who is stuck in their ways and have no other options. I would suggest keeping your eye out for another drummer, as much as I hate to throw another musician under the bus. It's not that I agree/disagree with his choice of drum sound (strongly disagree, btw, but everyone is entitled to their opinion...), but it's the fact that he's not thinking about the overall good of the project. Everyone needs to make concessions and sacrifices when putting together a collective project. From the sounds of it, it sounds like he's just not passionate about the group or the recording--just kinda going through the motions. THAT is the biggest red flag for me in your situation. Find another drummer, or at least another musician who can kinda play drums (or even.....*gulp*.....program drum tracks). I dunno. It sounds like you're wasting time with this guy.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Your drummer's set is trashed and the heads are worn out. I've seen vomited-on Craigslist kits that looked better. I can tell you it is a bad sign when drummers duct-tape Kotexes to heads for muffling. This is what a set looks like when a drummer has no passion or interest or willingness to work with a band. This is what a slob brings into the studio. I can only imagine how he dresses and presents himself on stage.

Still, many engineers like single-headed drums and muffled, cardboard-sound bass drums, because they then use the original sounds as triggers for sounds from their digital drum collection. So in some ways, this is a blessing. Let the engineer/producer select a drum sound that goes good with your band and overlay that on the drummer's work. Either that, or use software like Drums on Demand.

Yep, that's what I wanted to hear. And you f'n nailed it buddy. If I weren't desperate I'd throw his ass out. Me and my bassist (recording engineer also) are fed up with it. Teh only good thing is he shows up on time, every time.

Now the beats we have are complex, well not for a good drummer but they start, stop, odd timings. I'm just a guy who writes the stuff, he comes up with a drum track and does a good job at it. But his timing is off on the recordings, he can't use a click and never plays anything the same way twice. But to program the stuff would be a horrorshow. I wish either my bass player or I could do that but we can't. I'm lucky enough that my bass player knows logic pro pretty damn good.

I don't know why people even play instruments if they do it 1/2 assed. That's what I got a 1/2 assed drummer and seeing that guitarists to drummers are 50000000:1 I'm stuck with him.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'll do your drum track.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

I'll bet 10 bucks that all the resonant hoops are longgggg gone! Add hoops to the price list as well
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'll do your drum track.
Well we are in MA man. Not sure how that would work.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I'll have to totally agree with you there, DMC.

Apparently, he just doesn't give a 'you know what'. Those drum apper to be over-muffled, and it looks like he is using the internal mufflers too which makes it that much worse. I've done some low-fi recording myself using old Slingerlands with concert toms and I was happy with my drum sounds. I used good Remo pinstripe heads with a minimal amount of duct tape on the heads for muffling. My Bass Drum did have a reso head on it though. I recorded my drums in a really small room with only an old stereo mic sitting 2 feet in front of the bass drum on the floor. Now if I can get a decent sound with that crap, I'm sure this guy can try a little harder. This is a friggin' recording you're spending good money on.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Well we are in MA man. Not sure how that would work.
Internet. You send me drumless tracks, in the form of a music file, and I send you a drum track back that you can apply (or not) to your existing stringed tracks. Your original tracks stay drumless until you decide to apply the separate drum track in the studio, via a mixer, so there's no risk of losing your initial efforts.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM

But we basically have some drum beats that are sort of set. Not that we will not allow some musical creativity or whatnot but. .....Ok, I'll talk to my bass player and see what he thinks. At this point we're trying to get some recordings done so we can get some gigs and aquire a decent drummer who actually gives a f***.

Let me know what your price is, by the tune or whatever, you can email me, PM me. We have set beats for the tunes basically but only for about 2-3 tunes are they set in stone such as "play it just like this" or some slight variation to it. If you hear the stuff you'll get what we're after.

Think Johnny Cash meets Hank III meets Tom Waits. That's sort of how my music has been described.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

The rack tom has moon gel, tape and an inside muffler. They have to sound dead. The rack tom still has the hoop on it. Seems as though he slowly let the drums deteriorate and just got used to the sound. Buy some heads, watch some Youtube Vids on tuning and make him get with the program. I cannot believe he feels they sound good looking at those photos.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
BigSteve

Hey jamesfarrell, give larryace a shot on this, I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to do recordings and not even be in the same state!

Our band does this sort of thing over the internet all the time...we are on our second CD of original material and I have never played in the same room with the guitarist. There are lots of way to transfer large files, like .WAV files, over the net. We use Dropbox, but that is just one option. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Yep, I have sugar sync, same thing. Just will have to get a price to get an idea, that's all.

Christ almighty the drums sound like ass. I just listened to the dry track. Vox and guitar are just a scratch track for the drums. We're trying to get the drums down before this guy dies. He's a mess. 10 percs a day for shoulder injury, always smoking weed, drinking beers. @ 55 I have no idea how he does it and gets up and works. Always a mess, always drinking and driving. I don't know how he can do it. I can't even drink anymore, I'm out for 2 days if I drink a 6 pack. LOL. But when it comes to making music, I stay straight because I'm serious about it. I smoke afterwards though, but anyhow he's having an operation on his shoulder soon and will be out 2 months. I don't think he'll ever recover so we're trying to get some drums down so we have somthing to attract other drummers.

Here's the drums dry, no sauce (software sugar) on top.

Frign horrible I think.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648532

click the link, should download as mp3
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yep, I have sugar sync, same thing. Just will have to get a price to get an idea, that's all.

Christ almighty the drums sound like ass. I just listened to the dry track. Vox and guitar are just a scratch track for the drums. We're trying to get the drums down before this guy dies. He's a mess. 10 percs a day for shoulder injury, always smoking weed, drinking beers. @ 55 I have no idea how he does it and gets up and works. Always a mess, always drinking and driving. I don't know how he can do it. I can't even drink anymore, I'm out for 2 days if I drink a 6 pack. LOL. But when it comes to making music, I stay straight because I'm serious about it. I smoke afterwards though, but anyhow he's having an operation on his shoulder soon and will be out 2 months. I don't think he'll ever recover so we're trying to get some drums down so we have somthing to attract other drummers.

Here's the drums dry, no sauce (software sugar) on top.

Frign horrible I think.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_8768467_648532

click the link, should download as mp3
Yup, shit heads muffled to shit on a potentially nice kit. Sounds like cardboard and wood. Take Larry up on his offer.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah. His drums sound horrible. I don't like his drumming either. Sorry. I can listen to this song once and come up with a better drum track.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

James, I would do it for free, and if you felt like offering me anything after you hear it, I'll take it. I know how to do it, but it's not like I do it on a regular basis, so I don't feel comfortable charging you anything up front. I do have ample facilities in my home recording studio to make you a fine drum track, that features well tuned and recorded drums. As far as the songs where you know what you want, you have to somehow let me know what you want, either by a recording, or if you could explain what you want. Your music sounds right up my alley, my style complements the entire song, I wouldn't put anything that is inappropriate or out of context just so the drums get noticed...unless that's what it calls for.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks Larry, I'd definitely do something for you, I don't jerk people around and I'm a firm believer in Karma. What we're doing is trying to get all the tunes down as far as the drums go and then I'll have a list of them and upload them to sugar sync.

Honestly I have no idea how this stuff works. Don't know if you'd need the logic program files or an mp3 or what. I have almost zero involvement in the recording as far as the software. I just write and arrange the tunes. My bassist takes care of all the software shit.

But let us get the rest of the stuff together before this guy dies, gets arrested for DWI or whatever is going to happen to him, but it's not going to be good.

Maybe after he reads this thread he'll do me like Dimebag Darrrell and then I wont be thinking about drums any longer. And yes, I already sent him the link to this thread. He'll read it and tomorrow night we'll have a talk, or a fist fight. LOL. Maybe I'll go down in the basement and do him a favor and smash his drums :D

I'm just tired of the crap, you know. That one guy nailed it and put a fire under my ass about the "lazy asshole, shit kit comment" and I got to thinking, this music is my heart and soul. And this guy shows up 2 hours a week and puts in a 1/2 assed effort.

Anyhow enough bitching, sorry guys and thanks for the input. Larry, why don't you shoot me an email

masskevinjames at verizon dot net
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, that's what I wanted to hear. And you f'n nailed it buddy. If I weren't desperate I'd throw his ass out. Me and my bassist (recording engineer also) are fed up with it. Teh only good thing is he shows up on time, every time.

Now the beats we have are complex, well not for a good drummer but they start, stop, odd timings. I'm just a guy who writes the stuff, he comes up with a drum track and does a good job at it. But his timing is off on the recordings, he can't use a click and never plays anything the same way twice. But to program the stuff would be a horrorshow. I wish either my bass player or I could do that but we can't. I'm lucky enough that my bass player knows logic pro pretty damn good.

I don't know why people even play instruments if they do it 1/2 assed. That's what I got a 1/2 assed drummer and seeing that guitarists to drummers are 50000000:1 I'm stuck with him.
Many people here would jump at the chance to play with you. Including me. How sad you got stuck with this wreck of a person and have invested so much in this project. I just hope you don't hold it against drummers from now on. Every group of every kind has screw ups and you happened to hook up with a real doozy.

Another option is to send the tracks to someone who is skilled with Drums on Demand. Normally I would never advocate replacing a real drummer with a machine but this is a "special" case.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

You've got a cool sound. I'd like to hear the finished product when you're done.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. You guys seem like a group of cool guys, but the only few drummers I have met left a bad taste in my mouth. I've only come across lazy unmotivated people. Now, when I look up at the sky and ask for a tune, God, Jesus, whatever and two days later I sit down and bam new tune. Every time, I know I got something 1/2 decent. It's not what everyone likes, but it's unique. I'm not Robert Plant, but the voice suits the style of music. So I figure this is what I'm supposed to do. The tunes just come and come. I can't write any more tunes because I need a drummer who's dedicated enough to keep up with me.

Programming drums? We have all the latest software there is. Toon track, Logic 9, etc... but I don't have the time or skill to become an expert with Toon Track. A lot of the tunes have weird timings like I said, starts, stops. It's not overly complicated stuff at all. Pretty simple. But to program the stuff in time, tight, I'd need 3 years to figure out the programs. I focus on the song first and foremost, not all the bling and solos and whatnot. I keep it simple so we can reproduce the music in a live situation. I have no idea what it's like to play with a real drummer. Everyone wants to play f'n heavy metal. WTF? Are there not enough metal bands? I mean I love metal, listen to it all the time, and use to play it, but nobody is doing anything new and most of them just sound like shit. But I'm trying to do something different. What you heard is one of our more lame tunes. I can't stand the song but others seem to like it. With the rest of the stuff, we're moving in a more of a floor stomping type of feel. Heavy metal meet blues resonator guitar type of thing. It's pretty frign unique and fresh.

The other half of people seems to want to play AC/DC, Beatles, etc... It's beyond me why someone would want to dedicate their life playing other peoples music, but I know the story. Cover tunes, cover bands = gigs = money because the listeners seem to only want to hear the same stuff over and over . We do a few cash covers, some Chris Knight, some other stuff, but more obscure stuff, but our stuff is good as well, it's just a matter of finding the right drummer and then it will work.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Thanks Larry, I'd definitely do something for you, I don't jerk people around and I'm a firm believer in Karma. What we're doing is trying to get all the tunes down as far as the drums go and then I'll have a list of them and upload them to sugar sync.

Honestly I have no idea how this stuff works. Don't know if you'd need the logic program files or an mp3 or what. I have almost zero involvement in the recording as far as the software. I just write and arrange the tunes. My bassist takes care of all the software shit.

But let us get the rest of the stuff together before this guy dies, gets arrested for DWI or whatever is going to happen to him, but it's not going to be good.

Maybe after he reads this thread he'll do me like Dimebag Darrrell and then I wont be thinking about drums any longer. And yes, I already sent him the link to this thread. He'll read it and tomorrow night we'll have a talk, or a fist fight. LOL. Maybe I'll go down in the basement and do him a favor and smash his drums :D

I'm just tired of the crap, you know. That one guy nailed it and put a fire under my ass about the "lazy asshole, shit kit comment" and I got to thinking, this music is my heart and soul. And this guy shows up 2 hours a week and puts in a 1/2 assed effort.

Anyhow enough bitching, sorry guys and thanks for the input. Larry, why don't you shoot me an email

masskevinjames at verizon dot net
James, I would be happy to help. You send me copy of MP3's of your music. Keep your originals and send me a copy. I put that through my cans and record a drumtrack in MP3 form, to a different file, that I send to you. Then you can sync up my stereo track with your original tracks at your place and mix em together. All you need to do is get me MP3 tracks of the music, with or without a drum track. It should be easy. And you won't have the agg of sitting through sessions with someone who isn't what you want, playing a kit that makes you want to hurl. You just listen to the final product and use it, or I tweak it to your desires. I keep a copy of my drum track to tweak, if necessary, and I send you a tweaked track, so you only have to send me the music one time in the beginning. Nothing to it. I'll email you.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks,

James (guitarist)
It may have already been said in previous posts (sorry, I didn't read them), but single-headed drums were the rage in the 60s-early 80s. Bass drums are normally recorded with a single head and stuff in it, unless the studio can really handle putting a mic two feet in front of a double-headed one without getting leakage from anything else. But if you listen to that big fill in Phil Collin's "In the air tonight", that's single-headed toms with a mic stuck up inside of 'em, and then heavily compressed/noise gated/pre-delayed, etc.,....

If your music is looking for a different sound, you can always rent a double-headed kit. If you're drummer is that stuck in his ways, you can even hire the drummer, too ;)