DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Why Rutes?

I never played with rutes, and don't see the point of them. What are they supposed to do?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Why Rutes?

I like my Pro-Mark Cool Rods.

If I want a softer attack than sticks, or a tone that's closer to brushes, that's what they give me.

They're fun for acoustic jams.

However, I have seen a drummer in a live rock band playing with rutes. Not sure why he was using them in that context.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quiet gig settings, or to play quieter at home. Probably the most famous gig that used rutes is Nirvana's Unplugged set. Have a listen there and see what Dave Grohl could, and could not, do with them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MwEhQHCUE

They have purpose but are not for everybody. I find they are neat for about 5 minutes, maybe one song, then I get tired of their sound on cymbals, which is wimpy.
I'd rather use brushes in 'quiet' settings. Brushes have many more nuances to master (not that I have, lol).
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I'd rather use brushes in 'quiet' settings. Brushes have many more nuances to master (not that I have, lol).
I agree.

However, Cool Rods, or Hot Rods, or whatever aren't really similar to brushes in my opinion... They are both useful softer situations, but that as far is there similarities go for me.

I mainly use them for Dixieland-ish stuff to get a more different sound when playing on the rims.. To me it feels like I have wood blocks are temple blocks and stuff. Plus its lets you play on the shells without destroying them--yet a another more different wood blocky sound.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM

I use both Hot Rods and Lightning Rods for a variance in attack/ response.

A drummer friend of mine told me when I started drumming that guitarists change guitars to get different sounds, and drummers change sticks to the same end.

I practice on the kit with them often to protect (what is left of) my hearing. I like them for smaller and/or quieter rooms.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Renegade

In Australia we like to say "there's nothing like a good "rute" ...

I mentioned that I didn't like the "tak" sound that plastic brushes made on the snare, which is also the case with rods. A good player who sometimes used plastic brushes told me to "embrace the tak".

That made perfect sense to me but I never did embrace the tak. I guess it's a failure of imagination on my part. Theoretically every kind of sound should have its uses.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Bottom lines with dowel based implements Rutes, Hot Rods, Tala Wands (my fav):

Less attack
Lower volume - relative to sticks all other approaches being the same
Different timbre or color (one of the best reasons)

I use Firth Birch Tala Wands most of the time but I have used other brands as well. One thing many don't know is that you can get a substantial drum sound by playing rimshots on snare as well as toms. It doesn't mean you have to. I just find that when I'm using them as stick substitutes for lower volumes, a rim shot can make a drum sound more like it's struck with a stick. I like doing this instead of bashing straight to the head (with no rim shot) in order to come up to say..a guitarist's volume level that has ventured beyond the 'unplugged' realm.

I like the color difference especially if I'm trying to get a more organic approach to world music of some kind.

However I somewhat agree with opentune that brushes are more nuanced but agree with wsabol that they aren't brushes and shouldn't be thought of as better or worse - just different.

There's also possibilities of using a dowel implement in one hand a stick or brush in the other. Think Jim Keltner, Billy Ward or Matt Chamberlain. I really enjoy mixing it up for more creativity. You have to be heads up that levels and purposes combine favorably but the result can be very musical.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
In Australia we like to say "there's nothing like a good "rute" ...
Yes, the "rute".....the carnal act of a grubby drunken root in the back of a ute. A right of passage commonly engaged in immediately after any rural Aussie B & S ball.

As to the drum set application? Volume has been my primary aim whenever I've opted for them. Once or twice I may have been going for a specific tone, but more often than not it's specifically been to keep the volume down on an accoustic or quiter gig.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
As to the drum set application? Volume has been my primary aim whenever I've opted for them. Once or twice I may have been going for a specific tone, but more often than not it's specifically been to keep the volume down on an acoustic or quieter gig.
True. The most commonly used purpose.

However let me share one situation I play in where I have to work the sticks to the same end, not using rods/rutes.

I play a church gig where volume is an issue but not to the point of having to always use a stick alternative. When the choir sings, the sound guys use condenser mikes. For our viewing audience back home, a typical condenser mike picks up a wide spread of sound (like drum overheads do) when there isn't a centered source (like a snare).

The choir edge starts about 12 feet from my hi hat. We use wood absorptive baffles but where the baffles open (next to my hi hat) sound leaks out and, you guessed it, into the condenser mikes which the sound guy has to turn up to capture sweet, little, blue haired ladies, eeking out there best. And said condensers will have some of the (unwanted) drums so there is the possibility of a vicious audio circle

I have to play quieter, sometimes with rods as to not complicate things for the sound crew. But here's the challenge. At least 1/2 the instrumentalists are tempo challenged, some significantly when left on their own. One guy has tinnitus and stuffs cotton in his ear. So being the good sheep dog, I have to guide them back. When I play with either brushes or rods, the attack and definition of my hi hat can be lost with the tinnitus sufferer as well as others, even with monitors. Therefore they drift driving me towards the brink of insanity. So...

I have to play softly and controlled with sticks, sometimes playing soft rim shots and mostly hi hat (no ride) in these situations. It's challenging and some mornings frustrating but it has helped me to develop in this area.

Jim

Jim Martin Music