DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Masterworks cymbals

So I just bought some cymbals from a semi famous guy I unknowingly connected with on Ebay, used, unheard by me, on faith. It turned out great. They are everything he said they were. The brand is called Masterworks. New one on me. I got a ride, 2 crashes, and 2 hi hats with a protection racket lambswool lined cymbal case for 600 shipped. *Yea baby* Originally, I thought I was getting just one crash, then a cymbal with a HUGE inked Soultone logo showed up. Bonus! The engraving on the Soultone cymbal said Masterworks. This surprised me. I heard of Soultone before, but not Masterworks. The other crash (Sebbar series) and the ride (Custom series) and the Hi Hats (Vintage series) all are engraved with a Masterworks logo. They are handmade hand hammered genuine Turk bronze, AFAIK. The guy (and his lovely wife, who ships them and corresponds w/ me) I got them from, who has been 100% honest with me, says they sound like old K's. Now I don't know what old K's sound like, but these sure are beautiful sounding cymbals. The hi hats are so glassy. The Soultone has this beautiful expanding sound that lasts for days, the Sebbar is a great all purpose crash, probably the most Zildjain like sound, but better. The ride and the case haven't arrived yet, so I still have more surprises in store. She sent pics showing the details of the ride, that's how I know it's engraved with the Masterworks logo.

Anyway!

Since all this is new to me, I was looking for any first hand knowledge of Masterworks cymbals.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Masterworks cymbals

Hey man! Great find and thread/story. I've heard of Masterworks AND Soultone but never have I had the chance to try them out, but I would love to! Heard lots of amazing things about Masterworks though.

A brand I was using exclusively for a while (still using them, but my old hats cracked) were Agean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HieADWNflX4 these were the hats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVP5KiYe8sM <- Crash is kinda like that.

Sound REALLY Zildjiany. Would kill for the hats again :( they're hard finds and a good price too!

Enjoy your cymbals man :)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Got my first Masterworks about 7 or 8 years ago, they're very nice!

I knew they were OEMing for Soultone (Buzin before that) although Soultone says they now have their own foundry and aren't using many (any?) Masterworks anymore. It's very popular for Turkish boutique cymbal sellers to claim they have their own foundries, although it's extremely difficult for trhe average customer or even a store to prove.

Bottom line, if a cymbal sounds good, that's really what matters.

Bermuda
Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

I own quite a few Masterwork and Soultone cymbals ... and also Istanbul Mehmet and Istanbul Agop cymbals ... and one Buzin. All fantastic pies. All my Soultone cymbals have a Masterwork stamp on them. You can check out Soultone cymbals here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yBw...eature=related Meytal Cohen is either endorsed, or just likes them a lot.
I've bought all my handmade Turks off eBay, unheard before purchase ... but having been to several NAMM shows, I've heard the different series, and know which ones I like. And so far, I haven't been disappointed yet. And I've got a stock of about 20 cymbals.
Currently, I'm awaiting a 16" Masterwork Sehhar crash ... landing in at $139.61. Two weeks ago, I reeled in a 18" Masterwork Legend crash ... landing in at $106.99.

Last edited by harryconway; 12-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

I had a complete set of Masterwork Jazz series cymbals. 22 inch ride, 14 hats, 16 and 17 inch crashes and like a dope I sold them. Worst drumming mistake I have made since the 12 th grade and dropped a crash cymbal during a concert band performance.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Since my old post here, I've added a 14" set of hats (Extreme), a 21" ride (Custom), a 19" crash (Custom), a 18" crash (Thalles), and an 18" China (Custom) ... package deal .... cymbals came out to average about $130 each.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 AM

I have two masterwork cymbals selling on ebay at the moment and they are LOVELY....I am selling because I have too many cymbals! The masterworks ones on ebay now are a 16" iris crash and a resonant series holey 16" crash. There is a load of other ones but I have decided to just have one set up of cymbals (a mixture of paiste and mehmet Radiants that does me fine and would suit the sort of thing I end up drumming on). So take a look at ebay and type in masterworks . My username on ebay is 0getcooking0