DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Snare Wire Reviews

I have spent the last few months spending a fortune on snare wires. So I thought I would share my findings. Im a fan of a really crisp sensitve sound. These are all the wires I could get my mits on, Out of all of them im sticking with the PURE TONES WORLD MAX, good price, good sound.

Expensive wires 20+

Pure Sound - I tried a couple, the custom wires and the Eq wires. Both sound really modern an nasty to my ears. The customs dont tension up that well with those straps. They are both quite expensive and in general I dont like the sound. I would not call them crisp, they are quite muddy sounding and harsh. Couples with evans heads on my Ludwig they sound terrible to be honest.

Canopus - Tried the vintage. These are really nice, crisp, sensitive, articulate. Cost a packet tho.

Tama - Good wires, quite agresive sounding, but in a good way, kick puresounds ass for a more modern agressive sounding wire. Still pretty sensitive and crisp.

Mid Rage

Ludwig - These were on my 400 when I got it. Coupled with the Ludwig weather king heads sound amazing, everything a steel snare should be. So crisp and sesitive. Very hard to get hold of in UK tho.

Gilbatra - Good wires, nothing to write home about, but sound pretty decent, not as good as the Ludwigs tho.

Pearl - Pretty much the same as the Gilbatra, they dont seem as sensitve as the others in the the price range.

Pure Tone Wolrd Max - Very impressed with these wires, you can tell as soon as you look at them they are good quality. Very sensitive, crisp and articulate. These are my wires of choice now. They dont break the bank and they are as good as wires which do. They have grooves for the string wich is a nice touch, the end plates are copper i think which is the same as the pricey ones.

Cheap - Better off buying more expensive wires in genreal guys.

Big Dog - These are ok, they are just re branded wires tho. Pretty decent for the money, failry crisp. OK if you just wanna stick them on a snare for gigs, or something. I have them on a couple of snares I use just for a change.

Stagg - Same wires as big dog i think, depends when you buy them on what you get, clearly just bulk loads from some random factory in Taiwan.

Hope my reiview will be helpfull to anyone selecting wires.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Snare Wire Reviews

I found the Puresound custom pro's to be VERY sensitive to an untuned reso head. They buzz ugly if your reso is out of tune. Because they are very sensitive, they have a longer buzz when you hit off center.

I have the Custom Pro Steel wires on my DW Collectors maple snare. Very crisp and responsive.

I use the Custom Pro Brass on my Tama 13 x 7 Artwood snare. Gives it a very responsive - brighter tone.

The Puresound Custom pros are very sensitive, and will let you know if your heads are out of tune. I enjoy them, but they did take more time to find that "magical" tone. Nice - Very responsive...but to each their own...

I placed a DW Strainer on Pacific PDP ACE Brass snare. These strainers kick ass! I think they are as good as the Puresound Custom pro wires. Crisp, clean - nice response and will take a good tightening before choking your snare.

...that being said...PDP/Pacific strainers I usually remove (unless it's their 6 x 10 popcorn blackout snare)
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

I didnt they say they were not sensitive, they are. Its hard to describe why i dont like them, they sound too modern, and dont have enough of that soft vintage sound i guess, again its hard to describe. The main thing is they are expensive and i have found other products that what i want them to do for less money.

Have you tried any of the other products dude?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthebeat View Post
I didnt they say they were not sensitive, they are. Its hard to describe why i dont like them, they sound too modern, and dont have enough of that soft vintage sound i guess, again its hard to describe. The main thing is they are expensive and i have found other products that what i want them to do for less money.

Have you tried any of the other products dude?
Yeah, I think you're right about the Puresounds. You have to really like their tone and sensitivity. I don't think they would fit on every drum. Actually, they are too sensitive. I found my DW strainer was actually just as good. I agree - the Puresounds are a bit overpriced. IMO they fit best with a dry head that needs snare help.

I've only tried the TAMA wires that came with my 13x7 Artwood and Stewart Copeland.
On the Artwood, I replaced the wires with the Puresound Custom Pro Brass. It has an Evans HD Dry head - so the sensitivity complements the dryness.

I like the tone of the Tama wires on the Copeland. Crisp - not overdone.

Your review is nice and very informative for us reviewing snare wires. That's definitely one of the important parts for snare drum sound. You are fortunate to have experience with all the wires you listed. I unfortunately only have limited experience with wires.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

For me the best snare head combo for that dry, crisp, vintagey, not too barking sound. Remo Ambassador top, Remo Diplomat (200mil) bottom, some nice wires, ideally canopus vintage if you can stump it. Bottom head to an f or G, top head a third or 5th above it. I tune with a piano.

As soon as I get into evans, or aquarian the tone harshens ever so, maybe im being a bit anal about it, but i can defo tell there is something very modern or neutral even, about these companies heads. Remo just has that tone to their heads, at the end of the day its the most recorded snare drum head without a doubt, so if there is a snare sound you like on a record......put money on its remo.

I like the artwood snares, i was thinking a 13x7 for my next purchase!

Whats the brass like next to steel i wonder on the pure sound, ive only tried the steel?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthebeat View Post
For me the best snare head combo for that dry, crisp, vintagey, not too barking sound. Remo Ambassador top, Remo Diplomat (200mil) bottom, some nice wires, ideally canopus vintage if you can stump it. Bottom head to an f or G, top head a third or 5th above it. I tune with a piano.

As soon as I get into evans, or aquarian the tone harshens ever so, maybe im being a bit anal about it, but i can defo tell there is something very modern or neutral even, about these companies heads. Remo just has that tone to their heads, at the end of the day its the most recorded snare drum head without a doubt, so if there is a snare sound you like on a record......put money on its remo.

I like the artwood snares, i was thinking a 13x7 for my next purchase!

Whats the brass like next to steel i wonder on the pure sound, ive only tried the steel?
Right on - I tune with a piano too! Not too many drummers do that. I don't have much experience with the Remo heads. I know my DW Collectors came with Remo (similar to the Ambassador) made by remo. I've kept the stock reso on it (Remo 10 mil - I believe).
I may go back to the Remo Ambassador batter for the DW Collectors. The Evans HD Dry is a little too dry. But I do want some control, and a little ring.
How is the Diplomat reso? Do you dampen your snare with anything?

The Artwood snares are good for the money. I picked mine up for under $150 last year. But I just checked and now they are around $250. They now call them Tama Artwood "CUSTOM". It looks like the added some nice finishes. I have the Titanium burst. It has a hot crack to it, slightly poppy and sharp. It does give some ring, which is why I added the HD Dry batter. I've got the Puresound Custom Pro Brass wires on it. The Brass is supposed to give it a brighter tone, compared to the steel.

It's a great buy if you can get it under $175. Above that - there are other comparable 13" snares available. It does sound nice though.

Here is a cool comparison I used before buying the Artwood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu3rNtLMjEY
Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

The diplomat reso defo drys out the drum a bit, works well with my ludwig 400 and does give the drum less sustain and ring, and its easier to get a crisper snare sound with them. I havent tried that combo on a wood drum yet, I dont use any dampening for Medium - High tunings, especially live, i dont dampen anything apart from the BD, ring is like headroom, you dont hear in the mix or on stage This sometimes means i may have tune on stage, sometimes you get some wierd modes in a room, strong resonances that are nasty, tune up or down and its gone. With low tunings I use an O ring, bad I know but I am after fat dry tone with low tunings, not a low ringy sound.

For me remo gets the sounds I want, Ive tried most of the evans heads, some of the aquarian heads and most of the Remo heads. On snare the Ambassador just works for me. I love the PS3 on kick drum to. Tend to use g1 or g2 on toms, the tom packs are really cheap.

Cool video, really like the sound of the tama, so tempting. Im gonna check out the pro brass at some point, i was checking out Grover Snare wires last night, they are like synthetic gut snares! interesting.