DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Changing Pedals

Does anyone regularly switch between 2 pedals? And would you say this is a bad thing to be doing as I suppose it sort of messes with your muscle memory unless you have 2 identical pedals that are set up in the same way?

Reason I ask is I have recently swapped from playing heel down permanently to a lot more heel up playing and around the same time I started using either a pearl eliminator or a DW9000 depending on the venue I was playing.

Anyway cut a long story short I have had some problems with my kick technique- epecially quick doubles which Im guessing is more down to the change to heel up than swapping pedals but just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on the subject

Ben
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Changing Pedals

I always keep the same pedals on my assorted kits, and set-up in the same way (angles, beater type, etc.) but I may adjust the spring tension depending on the particular style and volume I'm playing on a partiuclar gig. That is, sometimes I need some extra resistance for power playing, and sometimes a little looser feel works better.

Bermuda
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

I have a crappy Gibraltar double pedal on my kit I keep at our practice space. I have an Iron Cobra double I keep with my Starclassics and use for gigs.

The Gibraltars are junk. They are not smooth and are very slow. If I can do what I need to on them than playing that same stuff on the IC is drastically easier.

I don't have a problem switching between them.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 AM

I change back and forth on a regular basis. I have a Gibraltar pedal on my kit (I like it BTW) and the school's kit has the biggest POS I've ever seen for a bass pedal. It was a little weird at first but you get used to it. Personally I don't find it very hard to change back and forth.

But as everything comes back to on all the pedal thread its all about what the player likes the best.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 AM

cheers guys, all makes sense I suppose
Well it's funny because I was finding the DW hard to use so set it up like my Eliminator (same angle, attack etc) and now I much prefer the DW lol

So may end up just getting another DW 9002 and that way using the same pedal on both :)
Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

My circumstances have me playing several different pedals. The toughest thing is jumping between long boards and short boards, but even then it only takes a few minutes to adjust (and i play alot of fast and complex patterns). It hardly warrants coughing up for a new pedal IMO. I think it might even have some hidden advantages.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
My circumstances have me playing several different pedals. The toughest thing is jumping between long boards and short boards, but even then it only takes a few minutes to adjust (and i play alot of fast and complex patterns). It hardly warrants coughing up for a new pedal IMO. I think it might even have some hidden advantages.
I'd been using a DW9000 single pedal for a few years. I knew it would just be a matter of time before getting a double pedal. I picked up the Trick Dominator double. It is a long board, AND ALSO direct link.

The DW9000 went over to my DW Go Anywhere practice pad kit, along with a DW5000 pedal for double bass practice.

I had to lower the pedal angle and shorten the beater distance on the Tricks so I could get the quick doubles again. It took a few days to also get used to the feel and response.

So I now have to go between the DW's and the Trick Longboard direct link regularly. No way I would/could buy another Trick double pedal. Playing both keeps me sharp.