DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Default Mapex Falcon Pedal Dissection With Pictures

I've noticed that a lot of people on these forums lack access to drum shops or have limited viewing options at their local shop and are forced to order or purchase blindly or off of online reviews. Online reviews are great but I find they usually lack pictures of the pedal and its components. Thought being an amateur drummer, I'd post some pics of my new falcon I picked up the other day.

Choosing a pedal is kind of like buying anything. Everyone likes something different. In my opinion, a pedal that suits you as a drummer feel wise is just as important as finding that right stick. Makes a world of difference when your foot just connects with the pedal.

Even myself, with access to a drum shop, I'd need 8 hours to fully find the pedal that is right since their are so many adjustments and doo dads too fool around with. I like to think that which ever feels best out of the box, is a good starting point and you can fine tune the adjustments to your needs.

Picture quality didn't turn out like I hoped, only have a crappy iphone4 camera and it's been dark and gloomy for 2 weeks now here so no natural light unfortunately. Try to change these hopefully soon. Also my first time posting pictures here so hopefully they work out.

We'll start with the carrying case. It's a pretty solid little bag. It holds its form very well like a high end travel bag. It comes with a strap for your shoulder which I haven't put on yet along with a handle on the top. The same bag comes with the double or single, so you'll notice an empty slot there. Has a large outside zippered pouch for all kinds of stuff along with a small button pouch inside for drum keys and parts. Has a slot for sticks as well as you can see in the picture and stretchy straps for you to carry up to 4 beaters very safely.

This is a picture of the pedal with the optional nylon belt drive with the pursuit cam. This pedal comes with the option of double chain and nylon strap. You can also order the direct drive change over kit aswell which I do believe I saw on ebay for around 60$. It features 2 cams which require just a drum key and 2 screws to swap this out. The glide cam is symmetrical and reacts to your foot as you play it. The pursuit cam is oblong on one side creating more momentum and power on the other end. It is very very noticable in power. With the same pressure and play style, it made my 22" bass drum sound like a 24. Both are smooth and the chain does not sit in any grooves like some lower end bass pedals. It rests on the felt that is on the cam so theirs no squeaking or rubbing of steel on steel with the chain.

The beater features removable weights which is just wow. Their is a big difference between using the 10 gram weight and 20 gram weight and no weight. It is the only setting that requires you to use the supplied allen key. Everything else uses a drum key. The sound difference between the weights is really noticeable, my leg got very tired throwing that 20g weight around but the impact was huge on sound and tone on my drum. They require a allen key through the top of the beater and you remove the allen screw completely, do not lose it lol like I almost did. The weights are flat on one side and round on the other so it slides right in and the screw goes right back in with no difficulty trying to line the holes up.

The beater also features a two side like most beaters do. I like how they off set the arm to help balance the head so it feels the same which ever side you decide to use. I will tell you that I'm loving the different sounds I'm getting with just the beater. Between the felt side and plastic side, along with the optional weights, you have 6 beaters in one and each will make your bass sound different. It's like tuning your bass drum without touching the bass drum. This beater alone is worth trying if some of you have different pedals. It's quite fun.

Heres a picture of the attachements I did not have on the pedal at this moment. You'll see the glide cam there along with the chain drive. Their is also the toe stop which I removed, It has about an inch adjustment on it if you choose to use it. Theirs also a velcro strip that can be screwed to the bottom of the pedal with matching velcro 3m tape for your playing surface. I play on a thick rug so I have no need but this is a nice option for slippery surfaces.

The belt and chain ends feature a nice recessed square so that they never slide around or shift on the cam. Every screw on this pedal has locknuts and washers to ensure nothing ever rocks loose, everything tightens up nicely and stays tight.

The hoop clamp has a nice round bottom which rocks a little bit so it forms nicely. The clamp has a key on the side for quick attachment or detachment. Lower end pedals usually feature a key on the bottom of the pedal which is a pain to get too. Some pedals also put a drum key screw on the side which requires a seperate drum key to tighten. This is quick and painless like most higher end pedals.

The beater is held into place from rocking back and forth in the little notch as you can see. Just a nice solid design.

One of the nice features of this pedal is for the double pedal users out there. The mapex beside is the stock one that came with my meridian maple's. It had a smaller footprint to begin with and the falcon is half the size. It makes it nice when your trying to get your two pedals in place along with a high hat stand. I always found the high hat got too far over with double pedals but this brings them in just a little closer.

This pedal is sturdy, heavy and makes adjustments easy. The pedal I'd say is around 10 pounds. I tried this up against a demon drive and speed cobra when I was shopping. It looked light and slick but man its a little rock. It was about twice as heavy as the demon drive. Some users do not like the small footprint and small width of pedal. If you had large feet, the slenderness of the footboard may be uncomfortable in sock or bare feet. I personally play with slippers or shoes on so I love it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Metamega; 12-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Mapex Falcon Pedal Dissection With Pictures

Meh, I give up, worked on format for about an hour, can't get it to work the way I want lol. Anyways the pics are all there ah well. Just can't seem to get rid of the bottom ones and put them where they should be.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Mapex's quality has always impressed me. I've only ever owned a Mapex Hideaway Boom Stand, but my god, it's the best Boom Stand I've ever had the pleasure of using.

I've been able to try out their pedals and was fairly impressed, although the main draw back was their price.

Pedal looks pretty sick, although it's too bad that they didn't have a case specifically for Singles and specifically for Doubles.

PS that Pouch you've put your sticks in is in fact designed to hold the Drive Shaft which connects the two doubles (although in your case, works just fine for carrying sticks).
Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

So it looks like the footboard is standard length? Mapex says things like "extended footboard" and "design provides the feel of a longer board." But in your picture it looks like its the same length as the 700 series.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
So it looks like the footboard is standard length? Mapex says things like "extended footboard" and "design provides the feel of a longer board." But in your picture it looks like its the same length as the 700 series.
The footboard of the Falcon is 3 centimetres longer than my Tama Camco footboard, if that's any helps. :-)
Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 AM
sticks4drums

My Falcon board is 11 inches long to hinge joint. My DW5000 is 10 inches to hinge joint. The Falcon looks superior in every way to the 5000. The adjustability is amazing. You can pivot the fittings on the main hollow shaft at any point around it. Not only the five flat sides like the DW.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:02 AM
sticks4drums

It also has a nice small footprint for when you have to group things together like in the pics below.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 AM
sticks4drums

Here is before with the DW.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

Is the heel plate angled towards the footboard or flat? As much as I liked the IC when I had one, that heel plate was way too bulky. Thats the only reason I got rid of it. Same thing with the 9000.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Is the heel plate angled towards the footboard or flat? As much as I liked the IC when I had one, that heel plate was way too bulky. Thats the only reason I got rid of it. Same thing with the 9000.
A slight angle towards the footboard. :-)
Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 AM
sticks4drums

Angled from its tapered design, from back to front of heel. Nothing about this pedal is bulky.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Guess I gotta go to GC to see if they have any on the floor I can try :)
Old 12-24-2011, 02:34 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Guess I gotta go to GC to see if they have any on the floor I can try :)
Yes you do. I love my 5000's. Have used a 5000 for about 20 years. These are a step up in every way. Can you believe they are made in China. Wow. :)

Last edited by sticks4drums; 01-03-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 AM

The first product I owned from Mapex was the Falcon double pedal. I was blown away by the feel, quality and the craftsmanship of this pedal. I have owned an Axis, Iron Cobra and DW 5000 and the Falcon has been the best pedal I have used to date! For this reason I looked at their drums when It was time for a new kit, and guess what? I now have a Mapex kit too!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 AM
sticks4drums

That a boy. Sometimes you have to look past names and labels, or you will miss out on something great. I love my Falcons also.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

Man I love that finish on the Meridians. Just beautiful. I'm seriously debating the Falcon. This year alone I have owned Speed Cobras, Iron Cobras, and DW 9000s. But I ended up giong back to my trusty old Flying Dragons. That pedal has the perfect footboard/heel plate for my style of playing.