DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Epro / Jobeky / Diamond

Hi All,

First post so a big welcome to me.. 

I was wondering if anyone has purchased or play on drums made by either Jobeky or Diamond Electronics?

http://www.jobekydrums.co.uk
http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com

I haven’t played drums for a while (and never that good) but have an urge to get an electric kit for a bit of fun so am looking into options. I don’t really like the feel of the Roland PD85 pads (too small) and can’t really afford the Td20 set up… (excessive given this purchase could well be a fad… but bigger toms feel so much better)

I really like the feel of the Pearl ePro but the triggering doesn’t seem as good as the Rolands (doesn’t pick up fainter touches so well)… I am very much a beginner but could see the difference.

I do however want full sized (or at least a little bigger sized) toms and therefore considering custom made from Jobeky or Diamond.

I live in Australia so wont be able to try myself so am interested if anyone has played and can compare… are they similar to Pearl Epro?

Cheers all

Damo
Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Epro / Jobeky / Diamond

eggbeater,
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I have an E-Pro set and you can adjust the sensitivity to each trigger. I also have a Roland TD4XK set (I want to sell) and in my opinion, the sensitivity is equal for each.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM

I only have a Diamond 12" snare that I use with my Roland TD9, it's a lot more expressive than a Roland mesh head, and in my honest opinion, the E-Pro is just full of dickery. I cannot understand how anyone would buy one. The heads feel awful, the flame finish screams cheap, the module is just a re-branded Alesis (iirc) so there's nothing new, and for the price, you can get a decent acoustic kit AND a simple electric kit.

That said, being in Australia, the shipping for just the one drum from the UK was pretty high. To be honest, you would be better off buying (borrowing?) a cheap acoustic kit, taking off all the heads and fitting mesh heads and triggers running into a second hand brain. If you're not sure, you can even rent e-kits from the big stores. (what state are you in? Try Allan's Music/Billy Hyde drums if there is a store close.)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

although I'm a certified laboratory grade hater of Ekits, I have tried the Jobeky offering. In my super sceptical opinion, it was actually pretty good when linked up to a Roland controller. By pretty good, I mean in a total pile of crap sort of way, but that's my personal take on all Ekits ;) Seriously, the Jobeky guys are good people with a good product. That said, I like the Akit with mesh heads & triggers option. At least it will start to feel close to an Akit, even though it sounds like a smart ass drum machine. As for Ecymbals, don't even get me started on those!

Awaiting incoming flame missiles :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies… yeah it really sucks being so far away… shipping will be a killer but I don plan on only smaller sized drums (as in depth) and don’t need a massive bass drum... did find a local custom made guy - www.alchemyecoustics.com.au but not sure on quality.

Akit is not an option due to noise… so just wanted to get something that feels as close to…. Quite like the idea of being able to play heaps of different sounds though… so actually prefer that aspect on ekits.

In my research it feels as though the patented roland mesh which has served them so well over the years is becoming less of an advantage to them… the Yamaha silicone even feels pretty good to me.

Interested to see if roland come up with something new in Jan!!

Cheers lads
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
although I'm a certified laboratory grade hater of Ekits, I have tried the Jobeky offering. In my super sceptical opinion, it was actually pretty good when linked up to a Roland controller. By pretty good, I mean in a total pile of crap sort of way, but that's my personal take on all Ekits ;) Seriously, the Jobeky guys are good people with a good product. That said, I like the Akit with mesh heads & triggers option. At least it will start to feel close to an Akit, even though it sounds like a smart ass drum machine. As for Ecymbals, don't even get me started on those!

Awaiting incoming flame missiles :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!

apologies for my lack of understanding... but are the Jobeky (and presumably Diamond) actually just acoustic kits with triggers? ie they are loud?

Or do they use mesh heads like a roland?

sorry for perhaps a silly question.

cheers