DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Alesis DM7 problems

I play in a punk band and I use an acoustic set for shows and practice, but transporting it is a pain so I keep it at the place we practice. I recently got an electronic drum set so I can practice at my house and not make the neighbors mad. After doing some research and reading some reviews I decided to take a risk and buy an Alesis. It fit my price range because I don't feel like spending a fortune on some elegant electronic drumset that wont be played too much. I settled on the DM7 that I bought on eBay brand new for $515. It showed up in an undamaged box but the one cymbal arm was broke, which Alesis did replace for free. After tinkering with it and messing with the sounds I got it to sound how I wanted. I initially was happy.

Heres the problems I've been having.
The hi-hats cut out as soon as I strike another drum. This is especially annoying when playing double bass with open hi-hats, it's very choppy because they cut out immediately. The snare does not always register hits. When doing a simple roll it misses some hits and sounds like I'm messing up but I'm not. I've messed around with the sensitivity and some other settings but it never gets better or worse. Can anyone help me here? I don't know if there's problems with my drums or I just need to adjust something
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Alesis DM7 problems

i'm VERY interested in responses here, cause i was just about to buy this set for my 2 boys for xmas. now i'm nervous!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 AM

From my own personal experience, i do not recommend this kit. Its a shame because this kit has a lot of potential. If everything worked the way its supposed to id be very pleased. Im not even a great drummer who can use a drumset to its full potential. I just play simple stuff like you hear in punk music. If i can offer any advice if you do buy this kit, make sure you buy it from a vendor who accepts returns. Huge mistake on my part.

Anybody have any possible solutions to the problems i described? Any help is appreciated
Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM

I'm having the same problems. I'm missing snare hits occasionally. Plus, when using the USB out and the latency is way too high. I purchased this kit to practice and then to record, but with these two issues, I can't really do either.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 AM

I am not positive about the module that comes with the DM7 and its bells and whistles,but the studio set I bought a couple years ago still works very well,with the trigger i/0 ran into the laptop,through ezdrummer.Just really have to play with it.
Remember,youre beating the heck out of something electronic,that is sensitive and connected to each other,so it takes tweaking.Plan on a good 10 hours of just clicking buttons and hitting pads to get to know it.It isnt a plug and play scenario,and believe it or not,it isnt for these other guys on here with the Roland the price of a new car either.Theirs takes learning and tweaking as well.In fact once in a while,one of them will admit their limitations.Rare but happens.
They are all electric kits,and will never be confused with an acoustic kit.Just cant approach it the same way.Remember,there isnt a 10,000 dollar e-kit,that even comes close to the response of a 300 dollar acoustic kit.one is purely true,and the other is attempting to be.The more you pay,the closer you come.Its kind of like making beef jerky at home.You buy all these cheap steaks,and dry them out or dehydrate them,use different seasonings and spices and cures,all to try and copy the flavor of the one you can buy at the gas station for a buck.It comes out ok,but you can do better,so you get better beef,which costs more.Turns out better,but still not quite there,so you buy the finest cuts the butcher has.Dry em out,and its really good...not exactly the same,but after the hundreds you have spent to make it taste like the dollar version,youre going to call it better.

Dont get caught up in it.Youre about too,and invest more,instead of just realizing its an e-kit.These people spending tens of thousands have tens of thousands to play with.In most cases,they can have whatever they want.Rarely is the average working musicians saving up for his next 2,300 dollar Roland module to add to the others.Thats something the one percent can do,and Roland makes a killing off them,but in no way get caught up in it.Your acoustic kit does things all their money in the world wont be able to make an ekit do.Remember that.Its a practice kit,no matter what others try to justify it as.

Last edited by bog_72; 11-11-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: felt the urge