DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Default Protechtor Elite Air case help!

Hello. I just got my new Protechtor Elite Air cases for my Tama Starclassic B/B EFX kit, every case fits the drums really well except for the bass drum case. My 22x18" Starclassic B/B EFX bass drum just cannot fit the case properly. The drum doesn't rest evenly on the bottom off the case, on the foam strips it was meant to be resting on. Instead it rests either on one or more of the plastic indentations that's meant to be holding the drums in place inside the case. I've tried turning it all possible ways without success. I'm worried this may over time damage the wood hoop by scratching it and distort the shape of it. Is this normal? Is there anyone on this forum who owns the same case and possibly uses it with a Starclassic kit?
Is it something wrong with my case or does all Starclassic bass drums fit this way in these cases?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Protechtor Elite Air case help!

Hey!

1. Welcome to the forum!
2. I used to own these cases (notice I said USED TO). They were always problematic, and I had similar problems to you. What I did was throw a section of camping pad in the bottom of the case to protect the wood hoop. I should have done it on the lid, too, but it was "close enough" for me. The bass drum case especially was a huge let-down.

In my opinion, these cases don't do what they're supposed to do (if the case gets even slightly warped by being packed tightly, the "floating" doesn't happen). If you want to keep them, I would recommend lining them because they just. don't. work. The only reason I would recommend keeping them would be if you have suspension mounting that won't fit in the corner of another kind of hard case, and even then I'd recommend switching out your suspension hardware for something more compact/sleeker...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm also a bit disappointed by the bass drum case, although i must say i love how the rest of the drums fit inside the other cases. Also i'm kind of left with no other choice than keeping it as i have some shows to transport my drums to in the very near future. So i really don't have the time needed to return and order a new case. Don't know how to address this problem though, i'm a bit curious if someone's managed to find some sort of solution to this.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Any of the unlined cases I have now have a piece, of carpet underpad in them, just go to your local carpet store as it wont be very expensive for the amount you need and sometimes they have smaller pieces left over form a job anyway, hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM

It should do the job. One problem remains though, the drum rests on one or to single points on the wood hoop. The birch/bubinga shell is very heavy and the wood hoops as far as i can recall is only made of birch since the Tama factory switch. I'm worried about potential deformation. It is a good piece of advice though. I'll probably to that until i can think of something better. Maybe there's a way to expand the bottom width of the case, 1/4 or 2/4 inches would probably do it.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor.h View Post
It should do the job. One problem remains though, the drum rests on one or to single points on the wood hoop. The birch/bubinga shell is very heavy and the wood hoops as far as i can recall is only made of birch since the Tama factory switch. I'm worried about potential deformation. It is a good piece of advice though. I'll probably to that until i can think of something better. Maybe there's a way to expand the bottom width of the case, 1/4 or 2/4 inches would probably do it.
You could always level up the bottom of the case with cardboard or styrafoam before putting in the underpad, I completely lined the inside of my nomad snare case with the foam chunk underpad and put regular underpad in the bottom and top of both my protechtors and the H&B, my hardcase brand bass drum case was a 24 to fit the spurs on my 22 radial`and was gonna line it too as I had a lot of extra room in it but I found a 24" padded soft bag at a music store that was nos and discounted big time so i bought it and used it as the liner for the hardcase, works great but my favorite cases are my skb and if I could do it all over again or if I replace any of my cases it will be skb all the way.

Last edited by tard; 12-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

I use Hardcases and my bass drum does this too. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you keep your drums in the cases for months on end under pressure/weight. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Another problem with the Elite Air cases is that they depend on the drums touching the bottom of the case and the lid in order to "suspend" the drum. This might work for transporting the drums, but if you stack the cases, you're essentially putting a lot of extra weight on the rims which will add tension to your heads, wear them out faster, and cause them to be de-tuned when you pull them out. This is especially a hassle if you tune your drums to JAW tuning, which is what I was doing with the set I had stored in them. It's a big bummer.

-1 for Air Elite cases...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195