DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Pedal can't stay still

I've been drumming for about a year and recently (about two weeks ago) I bought myself a Pearl Rhythm Traveller. As I've had more time to practice on my kit I have started learning both heel toe and slide techniques. but as I start to really get into it the heel of the bass pedal starts to jump. I know it jumps because it doesn't have a solid base due to it being a budget pedal but I was wondering if there was a way to fasten the heel plate of the pedal to my linoleum floors without any sticky residue or any nails or other fasteners. getting a new pedal is not an option as I only work at a fast food place 8 hours a week.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pedal can't stay still

Why not putting a carpet/rug under your drum or at least pedal?

Depending on the rug/carpet material, couldn't you use some velcro stripes to fix the pedal via putting those stripes across the groundplate frames? I've never done so but suppose this should work. Anything under your pedal(s) will also reduce vibration to some degree.

As to heel-toe... I learned that with growing skills the motion can be minimised. Some people think you really have to stomp both the heel, then toe on the pedal(s). With some practice you don't have to touch the pedalplates with your heels any more - resulting in the pedal to move even less. There's even toe-toe, for even less motion, but that's an advanced technique (I'm working on it though).

PS: My double pedal was 149 Euros (ok, with some discount) and it's massive enough. I'm using it mounted to a kick practice pad, with a carpet under it. No sliding or jumping of the pedal (which would drive me mad!). Just saying, you don't need to spend tons of money to get well built pedals. And I'm a beginner also (15 months now).

(BTW: I was editing my post a few times - that's the way my brain works, I'm no machine to spit out everything at once, haha. Some posters referred to some aspects I mentioned but hadn't my full post before their eyes. Sorry folks...)

Last edited by Arky; 12-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

You can cut an aluminium steel sheet to the size and shape of your pedal, and superglu it underneath the pedal at the heel and the frame spots... or drill it, thread it and screw it...

Arky's velcro is also one that came to my mind...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
audiotech

The Velcros idea seems feasible. Most if not all DW bass drum pedals come with it already installed. You'll probably have to get some low nap carpet to lay underneath it if you're playing on a smooth surface.

Dennis
Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM

I agree with Arky and Audiotech, Velcro works good.
And if you have it on linoleum then you might want to have a rug under the whole thing so you don't scuff/scratch/gouge the linoleum.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I'm using 3M Dual Lock strip to attach my guitar stomp boxes on my pedalboard. That stuff is expensive but has a brutal grip. Due to its surface structure it is extremely sturdy and will last forever. I'm using very thin stripes, when I bought that stuff it was available at lengths of 1 meter x 1 inch width. Might work with drum pedals also.

Just google "3M dual lock"...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
sticks4drums

Just like the boys said, small short nap carpet, and velcro. Worked for me for years.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Just like the boys said, small short nap carpet, and velcro. Worked for me for years.
2nd, 3rd, 4th this too. Does you bass drum "creep" away without a rug?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

There is really no way to secure anything to a vinyl or other hard floor. You need to use a carpet, with scratchy Velcro on the bottom of the pedal. Do that, and you won't even need to secure the drum - the pedal will hold the drum in place for you.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Surprisingly my bass drum doesn't creep even though it has a 8" depth. I think its the way the rubber on the bass drum legs grip on the linoleum. I think there are a few sheets of marine carpet in my back shed from when me and my brother re-carpeted his car boot. I'll have to try some of that underneath it.

Last edited by sreas2; 12-13-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistake