DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Gold Member

Default Please recommend some sticks that WILL NOT SLIP

Ok...so someone mentioned that Regal Tip sticks might be having problems of sorts. I am wondering if they will remain afloat to quench my newly discovered desire for their 5B sticks. I called a local drum shop, they did not attend some percussion/music event in Indiana this year. But he mentioned a lot of vendors did not attend.

Can anyone recommend sticks that have a texture that will not slip out of your hands. I prefer the 5B's. I know I can stop by the local drum shop, but your suggestions will be really helpful.

I know there is tape and tapered edges. My focus would be texture. If you've ued the Regal Tip 5B's, that same texture is what I'm looking for.

They can't be the only ones with a sticky grip????

thanks again...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:17 AM
sticks4drums

Default Re: Please recommend some sticks that WILL NOT SLIP

I have dry hands and had lots of trouble holding sticks. I would have to grip too tightly until my hand would grow numb from over gripping. I tried dip sticks but they dried my hands out further making cracks in my fingers. The grips never lasted very long. Just recently I was talking to my buddy that works for hydro and he introduced me to this great water proof insulating tape. It can be pulled very thin and once it sticks to itself it does not unstick. It has a tacky feel to it allowing me to grip my sticks very loosely, eliminating my hand numbing issue. It does not dry out my hands, and does not leave any residue on my hands. The grip usually out lasts the stick.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Heres what I have used.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25351
Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 AM

you can use vater grip tape i use it and its really good
Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I have dry hands and had lots of trouble holding sticks. I would have to grip too tightly until my hand would grow numb from over gripping. I tried dip sticks but they dried my hands out further making cracks in my fingers. The grips never lasted very long. Just recently I was talking to my buddy that works for hydro and he introduced me to this great water proof insulating tape. It can be pulled very thin and once it sticks to itself it does not unstick. It has a tacky feel to it allowing me to grip my sticks very loosely, eliminating my hand numbing issue. It does not dry out my hands, and does not leave any residue on my hands. The grip usually out lasts the stick.
What's the name of it, and where can you get it?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Cool GD. I'll swing by one of my fav stores (Lowe's). I read the ingredients and was just concerned about toxic transfer. Hopefully you can access the link on a pdf file. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YIAFJ1XACgYL5A

Do you know of its toxicity?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester View Post
you can use vater grip tape i use it and its really good
This seems non - toxic. Do you keep a good grip with it? Does it stay on the stick?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

I cannot recommend Vater Nude series sticks more. They have a natural texture without the coating most sticks have. I use them and they really help, cuz I get sweaty hands when I play. But be careful buying and make sure they're not warped or too heavy.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Cool GD. I'll swing by one of my fav stores (Lowe's). I read the ingredients and was just concerned about toxic transfer. Hopefully you can access the link on a pdf file. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...YIAFJ1XACgYL5A

Do you know of its toxicity?

It's designed for tool handles so I guess if you keep the stix out of your mouth you should be OK. I have it on many pair of sticks

If all else fails take somem 200 grit sand paper and sand off the clear finish most stick companies use.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

I, to, prefer Regal 5B's. My preference is the wood tip maple (hard to come by). My solution is to wrap barbed wire around the stick. Once you get past the pain, they're not too bad. Does make a bit of a mess on the kit, though.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
What's the name of it, and where can you get it?
SAP tape. Self-amalgamating tape. Any electrical supply store.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
I, to, prefer Regal 5B's. My preference is the wood tip maple (hard to come by). My solution is to wrap barbed wire around the stick. Once you get past the pain, they're not too bad. Does make a bit of a mess on the kit, though.
Not on my white kit I'm not!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
It's designed for tool handles so I guess if you keep the stix out of your mouth you should be OK.
Good you told me this, I'll make sure now... :-)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

I swear by Vic Firth's Vic Grip sticks, and I feel more and more uncomfortable whenever I go back to "normal" sticks.

They seem to be a "love them or hate them" product, but I definitely highly recommend trying a pair to see if they work for you. They've worked wonders for my grip and really allowed me to relax a lot more.

My stick of choice: The Vic Firth 5B Vic Grip Wood Tip

Last edited by Naigewron; 12-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

I love Amir ?ustlove Thompson's signature sticks from Vic Firth. They're super long, thin and have grip tape. White coated, but with normal tip.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I swear by Vic Firth's Vic Grip sticks, and I feel more and more uncomfortable whenever I go back to "normal" sticks.

They seem to be a "love them or hate them" product, but I definitely highly recommend trying a pair to see if they work for you. They've worked wonders for my grip and really allowed me to relax a lot more.

My stick of choice: The Vic Firth 5B Vic Grip Wood Tip
Cool...They're just a tad pricier than the others. The grip material is water based - eco friendly. Good to have that...

They stick to your hands, do they?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I love Amir ?ustlove Thompson's signature sticks from Vic Firth. They're super long, thin and have grip tape. White coated, but with normal tip.
I checked on those. Do they come in 5B?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

As I have said, I prefer Regal 5B Maple with wood tips. I picked up a pair of 5B Oak by accident and it felt like I was playing with baseball bats. Regal 5B Maple, perfect balance, perfect weight, great durability.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They stick to your hands, do they?
They kind of do. It's not as sticky as grip tape, it's more the combination of the rubbery material and the slight roughness of it that keep the sticks in your hand.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 AM

I use this.. Cheap, thin, and enough to wrap 10 pairs of sticks.. It also absorbs sweat so that is a plus

Tourna Grip
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I'll say this anyway.

You really shouldn't need sticks with grip tape. You should be able to use sticks with a natural finish. If you cannot grip the stick properly then you really really need to revisit your technique.

If you have bad technique then you should correct it before it gets worse. Otherwise you will damage your gear, or even worse, yourself.

I don't mean to be rude but you really shouldn't have to grip to hard if you're doing it right. Your hands and arms should move in ways that support the movement of the stick.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

Try these:

http://zildjian.com/Artists/G/Trilok-Gurtu
Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I had the same problem until I started using Regal Tip sticks. The finish on their sticks allows me to relaxe my grip and it gets tackier as it heats up.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp84 View Post

You really shouldn't need sticks with grip tape. You should be able to use sticks with a natural finish. If you cannot grip the stick properly then you really really need to revisit your technique.

If you have bad technique then you should correct it before it gets worse. Otherwise you will damage your gear, or even worse, yourself.

I don't mean to be rude but you really shouldn't have to grip to hard if you're doing it right. Your hands and arms should move in ways that support the movement of the stick.
Generalisations like this always bother me. There is no way you could tell someone what he does or doesn't need based on the very little info he provides here.

Also, there's a huge difference between actually needing something and wanting it because it feels more comfortable and secure. I don't need a cushioned throne, but I definitely feel more comfortable on it. Based on his post, I'm guessing he's managed pretty nicely with "regular" sticks up until now, but he would feel better with something that stuck in his hands a bit better. Even top drummers use grip tape and other grip enhancers; there's no shame in that.

Gavin Harrison says he feels uncomfortable and nervous whenever he picks up a pair of sticks without the Vic Grip because he's so used to it now, and I challenge you to point out any flaw in his technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eye7g9aOfLs
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Drummer View Post
I use this.. Cheap, thin, and enough to wrap 10 pairs of sticks.. It also absorbs sweat so that is a plus

Tourna Grip
beat me to it....tennis grip tape is cheap and plentiful.

F
Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Let's just assume my grip and technique are good enough (for me). With that in mind...suggestions about sticks, grips and tape would be welcome...
Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
beat me to it....tennis grip tape is cheap and plentiful.

F
How do you secure it at the end so it does not unwrap?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Anybody tried the Zildjian Dip?

I just sampled a pair at my local music store. Got a good feel to them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...dip-drumsticks
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
How do you secure it at the end so it does not unwrap?
Well I just cut the end that will be on the butt end of a stick at about a 30 degree angle or so, so it goes about 2.5 inches up the half piece of wrap before its straight again. Then I just wrap it and overlap it a bit at the end and because of the tightness when applying the wrap it stays on and wont come off or slide
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:

That may be generally whats right, and I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. I use the tennis overgrip because it feels comfortable and makes me comfortable, since it soaks up sweat and stuff. I never said I needed it, and I can play fine without it, its just I like to have it. Just like how Lars Ulrich, myself, and many others like to tape our fingers if we get blisters or something. Its just for comfort. So maybe this guy would just like some enhanced grip for comfort. Maybe he has some condition he didn't share with us where he needs something because his sticks may fly out of his hands.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 AM

This is what I recommend. Applies just the right amount of tackiness without altering the feel of your favorite stick:

http://zildjian.com/Products/Accesso.../Drumstick-Wax
Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

Has anyone tried Super Glue?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Has anyone tried Super Glue?
Yes, but it's kind of embarrassing if I suddenly have to itch my nose.

Dennis
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Tourna Grip
OK - I wasn't quite ready to jump to another set of sticks since the Regal Tips were fairly new - so I ventured down the street to the sporting goods store and picked up a 3 grip roll.

WHOA! These grip wraps are pretty insane! When you overlap the wrapping, they create ridges that fit your grip. Really stick to your hands.

My 3-grip roll will do 6 sticks, since I cut each roll in half. I'm gonna jump on the 10 grip roll thanks to your link.

Best part: 1) easy to do, 2) I avoided my Guitar Center and the sales sharks. Though I might go there to get some 5B's that are less than the Regal Tips.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Administrator

I have also rubbed an ordinary large candle on the grip end of the sticks to gain grip.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Aww, let em slip. Grab another one.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
OK - I wasn't quite ready to jump to another set of sticks since the Regal Tips were fairly new - so I ventured down the street to the sporting goods store and picked up a 3 grip roll.

WHOA! These grip wraps are pretty insane! When you overlap the wrapping, they create ridges that fit your grip. Really stick to your hands.

My 3-grip roll will do 6 sticks, since I cut each roll in half. I'm gonna jump on the 10 grip roll thanks to your link.

Best part: 1) easy to do, 2) I avoided my Guitar Center and the sales sharks. Though I might go there to get some 5B's that are less than the Regal Tips.
Haha nice! I had a feeling you would like it. Congrats on staying away from the Guitar Center. If you really want to save some money you could buy the 30 pack

Tourna Grip 30 pack
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Aww, let em slip. Grab another one.
Yeah man! I been doing that, but cutting way down now. Only tends to happen when I'm doing a quick roll or lick from snare over to my 12" tom (mounted on R side of BD). My left hand stick would catch the 10" riding tom's rim or something.

Quote:
I have also rubbed an ordinary large candle on the grip end of the sticks to gain grip.
Best forum around, this place is. You guys are the most creative.

OK - JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW - I had been working on that finger technique (push-pull, or something like that) where you use your middle fingers or ring finger to flick the stick back on double strokes or rolls. Hadn't dropped much, but buggers had been sliding.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Haha nice! I had a feeling you would like it. Congrats on staying away from the Guitar Center. If you really want to save some money you could buy the 30 pack

Tourna Grip 30 pack
Thanks man! ACTUALLY...I now need to find a great brick of 5B's since I've ended my dependency on the awesome Regal Tips!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM

I dunno...might sound weird, but back in the day when we thought hitting rocks with tree branches was drumming, I used 1/2" (1 cm) wide masking tape on my precious sticks to keep from injuring people in the first few rows.. Of course, that was also the time when buying a new pair of sticks meant pulling weeds by hand out of acres of soybeans for several days and a trip to another state to get them. These days I use ProMark "The Natural" 5A's and am about to experiment with 7A's when I use up the last of my Vic Firths. Go to a drum shop, get real sweaty, and flog some sticks.