DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Direct drive Yamaha = steep learning curve!

I played one of these (though an older model) on someone else's kit a while back and really liked it. Had a chance to pick one up, so I did. Holy cow, I did not realize how different these would feel out of the box!! I haven't bought a new pedal in ages, and the only other direct drive I've owned was a Speed King, back in the 80's. This Yamaha is a whole 'nuther animal. I almost couldn't use it the way it came set up out of the box! I thought I'd made a horrible mistake.

But after working with it a few days and tweaking adjustments, I think I am really going to like it. The footboard angle adjustment also changes the linkage angle a little, and this seems to be really critical in getting the right function out of the pedal - it doesn't just change the "feel" like on my Pearl. I was getting hang-ups trying to play doubles until I got this adjusted just right.

I still have a lot of pedal time ahead of me before I'm perfectly comfortable and in control, but the pedal feels really light and quick, with plenty of power on the drum head. Fun stuff!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Direct drive Yamaha = steep learning curve!

Don't own the Yammies but I do play a direct drive pedal. Agreed wholeheartedly. I find them very "honest" pedals. All those little flinches that transpose directly to little hits on the head.....man, the quick and light response took me by surprise when I first got them.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Started on speed kings, switched to DW5000 then 9000 and back to direct drive with a Yamaha direct drive. LOVE that yamaha pedal!!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Started on speed kings, switched to DW5000 then 9000 and back to direct drive with a Yamaha direct drive. LOVE that yamaha pedal!!
Yes, I just played a couple of more hours with it today. I finally got the adjustments set just right, and WOW! I'm really enjoying the ease with which I'm playing. I agree, it is a wonderful pedal!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
yea the yamaha DD is a really nice pedal....I currently play 9000's, but I'm jumping back into the direct drive fray...purchased an Axis longboard bouble pedal (A-L2CB) classic black a few weeks back (made to order)...should be here tomorrow..I'm looking forward to trying out the longboards..:)..bought the Axis over the Yamaha due to the longboards..my one complaint for the yamaha direct drives..the foot boards are too short for me...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-12-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

I really like my Yamaha DD. It did take some time to dial it in and get used to the light feel. I had been playing an Iron Cobra and the feel was very different. I use the Tama IC almost everyday on a practice kick/pad and the Yamaha stays on the drums and I have no problem going back and forth. But the Yamaha is so much nicer to play now.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I haven't bought a new pedal in ages, and the only other direct drive I've owned was a Speed King, back in the 80's.
I always wanted to own one of those! I musta been 15 yrs old or something and I would always stare at it behind the glass counter at a music store.

I had switched over to a Trick Dominator Double pedal a few months ago. I had taken a 25 year break, and have been on a DW9000 single pedal for the last 2 years.

Oh - yeah! I know each pedal is different, as are each of our playing styles and skills. The Trick Dominator is not only a direct drive, but a long board. I had become pretty proficient on the DW9000 single pedal with the quick doubles, and triples. I mainly use heel-toe.

Right out of the box, I was not able to get the clean doubles via heel-toe. I had the longboard set at the same height/angle as my DW9000. This threw off the rebounds and 2nd hits. After adjusting lowering the pedal angle, and beater distance - we're now back in business. Also am able to work the slide technique on it. The DD keeps your footwork honest.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Right out of the box, I was not able to get the clean doubles via heel-toe. I had the longboard set at the same height/angle as my DW9000. This threw off the rebounds and 2nd hits. After adjusting lowering the pedal angle, and beater distance - we're now back in business. Also am able to work the slide technique on it. The DD keeps your footwork honest.
I also found the sweet spot with the pedal angle lower than my chain drive pedal. Interesting... I don't need longboards, though. Lowell George wasn't the only one with Little Feat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
I really like my Yamaha DD. It did take some time to dial it in and get used to the light feel. I had been playing an Iron Cobra and the feel was very different. I use the Tama IC almost everyday on a practice kick/pad and the Yamaha stays on the drums and I have no problem going back and forth. But the Yamaha is so much nicer to play now.
I'm doing the same thing - the Pearl is on the Roland and the Yamaha is on the Ludwigs. Works great, and I don't really have any trouble transitioning.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Are you referring to the 9500 models? I also use the direct drive version. Just like you, when I first tried it it was terrible for me, the super low end pedals I'd been using before let me play a lot faster. Now, however, theyre amazing! I have the footboard pretty high, with quite loose tension on both pedals and it just works perfectly.

Obviously, the slave pedal doesn't feel quite as responsive and smooth as the main one, but that is the case with every double pedal, am I right?