DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Default Alesis DM6 or Roland 5pc with TD3 - Sorry... Another comparison question

ATTN: Added 3rd in the running (Thanks Again

I am new to electronic sets. I am wanting a set for home studio and possibly playing out. Here are all the specs I have.

Thanks so much for advising me : )

Alesis DM6 $350
Not even a year old
Doulde bass pedal
All aluminum construction frame
Real Head Kick
Dual Zone Snare
Hi Hat
Ride
Crash
Wireless headphones
Stool

Roland 5pc with TD3 $550
Not much info

Yamaha DTX5000
includes Peavey Amp

Left to right images (Alesis - Roland - Yamaha)

Thanks Again,

Ron
Attached Images

Last edited by flyingpigphotography; 12-06-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: needed to add a third drum option
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Alesis DM6 or Roland 5pc with TD3 - Sorry... Another comparison question

Come on guys : )

I brought my question before the PROS! Someone has an opinion about these choices here...
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alesis DM6 or Roland 5pc with TD3 - Sorry... Another comparison question

Stick with Roland OR Yamaha and avoid the rest.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 AM

So between those two what do you recommend? Have you ever used Alesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Stick with Roland OR Yamaha and avoid the rest.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 PM

First post here.

As a beginner I wanted to pick up a small kit for the basement. I chose the DM6 Express kit ( it's the same as the DM6, minus the spider cable, a TOM and a ride ).

Remember, I'm a beginner, so nothing crazy fast.

I immediately noticed cross talk between the snare and the hat when you hit them. Sometimes the sensors, I want to say, override one another so on occasions I'll hit the hat and snare, but not get the snare sound. It feels like it's crosstalk. This was only with the dual zone snare ( when i placed a tom in that position, it was fine, see below )

After about 3 weeks the dual zone ( snare ) went fubar. Center hits produced only rimshots. Rimshots produced only rimshots. I called Alesis, waited on hold for 30 minutes and got someone who was really unhappy to be working on that day. I explained that the center snare is only rimshotting. I also explained that I had reset the " voice " patterns to default ( voice patterns allow you to change a sensors sound; I.E. the snare can be changed to sound like a floor tom ) before I called. I also explained that if i switched sensors, plugged a tom into the snare port, i got the snare sound. So the pad is bad.

Point is it was a failing sensor. The guy on the phone pretty much argued with me, asked me to reset the system. Same thing. He asked me to change the crosstalk setting? He didn't realize the DM6 doesn't have that. Long story short he finally realized the sensor was bad and setup a return. The whole process was just very difficult, mostly because of the engineers attitude frankly.

I also notice when I plug in an input ( mp3 player to play tracks to ) sometimes the kit will cut out sound for a split second, making me lose timing. I kept thinking it was me, but found it's not. It's rare, but more than once I lost pace.

Bass pedal spring adjustment screws come lose if I play for a an hour or more at a decent speed.

For a beginner, the kit itself on a whole is OK. It's good for sitting down, practice for an hour and go up and have dinner without pissing the family off. the digital kit selection is sparse, but fine for me until i get better.

As a beginner, I would probably say the kit is good to get. However anything beyond beginner you'll have issues.