DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
GakkiLove GakkiLove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Default What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

I've been looking for right heads for my little rhythm traveler.

Today I bought a 12" pinstripe for my upper tom and it sounded totally different from the head provided with the drum set.

With simple tuning, I had got an excellent sound on the upper tom.

Now, since I couldn't find a 14" pinstripe for my lower tom, and a 20" powerstroke 3 for my bass, I need to buy it online.

However now I start to have some questions. What type of powerstroke 3 should I buy? Clear or coated? Should I even buy a powerstroke 4 because my reso head has been removed?

I'm pretty sure I will keep using pinstripe series for my lower tom but for bass I hesitated.

Please give me some solid advice for choosing my bass drum batter head.

(Please note that my reso head has been removed and won't be re-installed onto the drum soon, I will get a mic for the bass drum in about 2 months tho.)

(Please also note that my band room is only 300 sq. feet big)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,251
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

I would get what you need to install a resonant head on the bass drum.
The hardware is available online.
Measure the distance between the holes for the lugs and buy 6 lugs that fit the hole pattern.
Buy a hoop and 6 bass drum tension rods.
The resonant head is important for good sound.
Clear head on the batter for more volume.

Get another Pinstripe online for the floor tom to match.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
GakkiLove GakkiLove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I would get what you need to install a resonant head on the bass drum.
The hardware is available online.
Measure the distance between the holes for the lugs and buy 6 lugs that fit the hole pattern.
Buy a hoop and 6 bass drum tension rods.
The resonant head is important for good sound.
Clear head on the batter for more volume.

Get another Pinstripe online for the floor tom to match.
What's your advice on the reso head of the bass drum then?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,181
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

I'd go with a clear P3. I think that's more the sound you're after (from prior threads). That little RT kick needs all the help it can get. A clear P3 will give you more "attack" ... a coated, you'll be sounding more like a vintage 3 ply guy.
I'd also recommend putting a reso back on the drum. You can still put a mic. on it, and if need be, port the reso, to get the mic. inside the kick. Here's a RT with a reso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o .... doesn't sound bad. Throw a mic. on it, and it's gonna boom pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GakkiLove View Post
What's your advice on the reso head of the bass drum then?
I'd run an Ambassador, smooth white ... or black.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
GakkiLove GakkiLove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'd go with a clear P3. I think that's more the sound you're after (from prior threads). That little RT kick needs all the help it can get. A clear P3 will give you more "attack" ... a coated, you'll be sounding more like a vintage 3 ply guy.
I'd also recommend putting a reso back on the drum. You can still put a mic. on it, and if need be, port the reso, to get the mic. inside the kick. Here's a RT with a reso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o .... doesn't sound bad. Throw a mic. on it, and it's gonna boom pretty good.
I'd run an Ambassador, smooth white ... or black.
Ok, I will try to get my reso back onto the bass drum.

In Hong Kong (somewhere close to china), it's hard to find 20" bass drum heads. It seems that I still have a lot work to do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM
GakkiLove GakkiLove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

(off-topic) Today I bought a head set which claimed to reduce the noise frequency.

It's definitely the best toy of 2011. Having it on my head I can hear my drums clearly and knowing my mistakes clearly.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Mitchthedrummer Mitchthedrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Default Re: What should I get for a rhythm traveler?

Good choice on the Pinstripes. I personally think an Aquarian SuperKick 2 is one of the best drumheads ever made. I would recommend a clear SK2 for the batter and a Remo Smooth White Powerstroke 4. Snare would be nice with an Aquarian Studio-X or Hi-Performance.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com