DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Default practice pad

guyz i m really stuck in what pad to purchase
1: mapex tunable 8"
2: mapex multihardness pad
3. evans realfeel 12" pad (single or double sided)
or any other suggestion plz lemme knw m really stuck.... i have no idea what to go for!!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Default Re: practice pad

The Evans double sided 12" is very nice imho.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

The Moongel pad is really good as well, especialy if youre looking to strengthen your wrist movement and finger control. Also, if you can get one of the smartpractice pads from DW, they are great too. They are a multi purpose pad that has more rebound in the center, asnd less as you move out towards the edge.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Personally, I've found that many of the rubber-surface pads will mask flaws in your technique by rebounding the stick back in the direction from whence it came, even if the stick is striking the surface at an angle, not in the vertical plane. I real drum head doesn't behave in this way. Among the pads that I've tested and definitely have this flaw are the RealFeel and the DW SmartPractice. If you're a beginner like me trying to develop technique, I would avoid those pads. I don't know about those Mapex ones. In contrast, I think that the Sabian QuietTone and Vic Firth Heavy Hitter pads are much better. They way in which they rebound is much more like a real drum head, so they will not mask or auto-correct flawed technique.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

See also this thread:
Pad surface friction (created by rdb)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=83870

I do have and like my 2 HQ RealFeel & 1 moongel pads but the above thread made me think again, I might buy more/different pads.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb View Post
Personally, I've found that many of the rubber-surface pads will mask flaws in your technique by rebounding the stick back in the direction from whence it came, even if the stick is striking the surface at an angle, not in the vertical plane. I real drum head doesn't behave in this way. Among the pads that I've tested and definitely have this flaw are the RealFeel and the DW SmartPractice. If you're a beginner like me trying to develop technique, I would avoid those pads. I don't know about those Mapex ones. In contrast, I think that the Sabian QuietTone and Vic Firth Heavy Hitter pads are much better. They way in which they rebound is much more like a real drum head, so they will not mask or auto-correct flawed technique.
Not to blast your response, because I can understand where youre coming from, but the only way you have to worry about which way the stick travels is if youre hitting the pad wrong to begin with. So if youre hitting the pad wrong to start, of course your stick is going to travel right back to you in the same wrong direction that you hit the pad to begin with...so its not something youd have to worry about as long as your technique in hitting the pad is correct from the start. Just my $.02.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Hi Blastbeatkeeper: I totally agree with your point. If your technique is good, these rubber practice pads are probably just fine. My problem is that I'm a beginner with lots of flaws in my technique. Most notably, I have trouble keeping the stick motion in the vertical plane with my left hand. These rubber pads effectively auto-correct this flaw thereby masking it and allowing me to get by with bad technique, bad technique that definitely won't work on a real drum head. So for me, I want a pad that doesn't auto-correct, makes my problems apparent, and allows me to work on correcting them.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 PM

I hear you, and understand completely. Im sorry, I didnt meant to offend or get snooty. I sometimes come off that way, as I like to just say what I mean. Completely obliterates confusion, but sometimes also makes me sound like a complete d**k lol.
I myself have trouble with the perfect vertical stroke in my left. Ive gone as far as sitting on or tying my right hand down to practice rudiments with just my left to correct this. Hard part is, by searching this forum, I have learned that this could be a lifetime struggle.
The thing is, is that Im about the control of the stick. As long as I have a good base to start with, and have great stick control, then I can always alter my technique. As long as I get the same stick control with whatever technique works best, then thats what I am after. Hope any of this banter helps anyone in any way possible. And sorry again, RDB. No hard feelings.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM

None at all. Looks like we're both signed up for a life-long struggle with the left hand. Fortunately for me, as a beginner at the age of 47, mine will be only a half-life-long struggle. ;-)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Honestly mate, I own a bunch of practice pads.......the reality is, they all do the same thing (rebound a stick) and none of them can exactly replicate a drum head. The only one that seems to come close is the Sabian Quiet Tone......but I'm relying on opinions of others I trust here as I've never actually seen one to be able to try the thing.

Some are louder than others (the tunable ones like Remo etc are god awful loud). Others offer more rebound.....but at the end of the day, they all assist in training your hands. Which is the "end game" anyway.

Don't read too much into it though.....they are a practice aid, nothing more, nothing less. When I was a kid we used to practice on phone books. Using any of them effectively will serve it's purpose. Remember, what you practice is far more important that what you practice it on.

Grab a pad....any pad and have at it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

I agree. Grab any pad and have at it. However, if you're really ocncerned about it, you could find a cheap second snare drum and put a mesh head on it - it'll still be a little more bouncy, but closer to playing the real thing.

OR - make friends with your neighbors and maybe they'll let you play at all hours if you have a BBQ for them once a month ;)
Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I agree. Grab any pad and have at it. However, if you're really ocncerned about it, you could find a cheap second snare drum and put a mesh head on it - it'll still be a little more bouncy, but closer to playing the real thing.

OR - make friends with your neighbors and maybe they'll let you play at all hours if you have a BBQ for them once a month ;)
That's funny, but true Bo.

When we recently moved to our new house, we brought some food over to the neighbors after a birthday party. Shocked them to heck!

I've gone through the delimna of finding the "perfect" practice pad. Most have much more bounce than the actual drums. I started with the foam/rubber mute pads (not enough bounce), the Vater double sided (too much) and the DW Deadhead pads (still a little much bounce). I do use the DW Go anywhere kit (2 of them) for a full set of drums and cymbals. Those are just a tad bouncy.

So I went to the home hardware store (Home Depot here in SD) and cut out 10, 12, 14, 14, 16" circles of wood. I used really thin, but durable processed wood. Luan sheets work too. I then glued the Vic Firth drum mutes to them, and they have just barely more bounce than actual drums. Plus, the tone is still there (80% volume reduction) and you can move around a kit.

You all are right, when all is said and done, just get on SOMETHING and play it!

Last edited by BigDinSD; 12-07-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

I too keep a variety of pads around. My main ones are the Aquarian tru bounce and Offworld Percussion's Invader 3. I love that pad because it has a rim for practicing rimshots as well.

Lately, i have been placing my 3 1/2" x 13" Picollo snare on the ottoman (with towell underneath snare). Yes it's louder than a pad but not quite as loud as drum on a stand.
Can't get much more realistic than that! My family can tolerate it while they are in the front room watching tv.

I think it's important to practice on a variety of surfaces.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Perhaps you've seen my P4 practice pad?

4 surfaces..each with a different feel...3 levels for movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWkXHnkLbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a_nkSgcvX8

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Ca...Ludwig-L4.html

Good Luck!
Pat