Anyone used a Rode NT4 for live overhead?

Andy

Honorary Member
Pretty much it really. I'm especially interested in how it performs on bottom end of tom pickup without close mic's on the toms, & also, how good is it at rejecting other instrument sources on a tight stage.

Cheers, Andy.

I haven't used it as a live overhead but it has a decent frequency response and will work very well as a single, central overhead. They're a decent mic. They would pick up more attack than the bottom end of the tone but I can see it working. Just don't lose the breakout cable!

Cheers Duncan,

I'm looking for an easy solution for small to medium gigs without engineer where I can't be bothered to close mic & use a sub mixer, but still want to pick up the toms. Is there a reasonably priced stereo dynamic solution available? That might do a better job of picking up the whole kit with good bottom end balance, but obviously loose a bit of top end clarity. I can live with that.

Cheers Duncan,

I'm looking for an easy solution for small to medium gigs without engineer where I can't be bothered to close mic & use a sub mixer, but still want to pick up the toms. Is there a reasonably priced stereo dynamic solution available? That might do a better job of picking up the whole kit with good bottom end balance, but obviously loose a bit of top end clarity. I can live with that.

The NT4 would be a better bet. You could get away with that and a bass mic quite easily although a snare mic is obviously a good idea too. I'd be happy to gig with that configuration.

just something to think about, I have many times used a 3 mic setup live,

1 in the kick and two condensers. 1 placed under the toms and snare and one under my ride facing the floor tom.mI reverse the phase on the one mic facing up

works great, easy and fast setup and teardown

The sound is fine - perhaps a little down on the low freq's - so a BD mic would be good to include. You will probably get lots of spill......

Back